Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private to commercial

• 26-02-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Well, so I’m looking at setting up as a sole trader. Currently have a 2013 A6 saloon. Lovely car but unfortunately boot space lacks a bit for what I want it for. Have had my eyes on BMW X5s and VW Touaregs, ideally on the book as a ‘crew cab’ so I could use it as a private car occasionally if I needed to carry more than 2 people. Road tax for these privately is an eye watering €1200 per annum, compared to €333 for commercial.

There’s a good few ‘crew cab’ jeeps like these on DoneDeal but how would it work if I bought one that’s a private one and wanted to convert it to crewcab? In the case of the X5 it would be removing the 2 seats in the boot. As far as I know the Touareg are 5 seaters anyway.

Also, how would this work insurance wise? Would be swapping from a private to a commercial vehicle. I am currently insured with Liberty directly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Whocare

Depending on your local motor tax office you will need to fill in Crew Cab declaration form with 3 employees pps number. So cheaper tax is not that easily got depending on tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Whocare wrote: »
    Depending on your local motor tax office you will need to fill in Crew Cab declaration form with 3 employees pps number. So cheaper tax is not that easily got depending on tax office

Even if I buy one that’s already registered as a crewcab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Whocare

Even if I buy one that’s already registered as a crewcab?

Yes what you're local tax office ? Go onto there website and see do you need crewcab declaration form for taxing it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I'm on my 5th crewcab and have never been asked for employee's pps numbers. Not saying that they can't or won't but you would be very unlucky if they did.

As far as I know, the best workaround is to buy a second hand car, already crew-cabbed and make sure it's already taxed. Then you're just popping into the tax office (or online) to renew the tax and not drawing attention to yourself. It should be a simpler procedure in fairness.
    Also, how would this work insurance wise? Would be swapping from a private to a commercial vehicle. I am currently insured with Liberty directly.

This is where you're really going to be nailed to the wall though. I'm in a position where I'm a sole trader, and would love to pick up a Ranger or something like that. Completely and totally impractical, but I think they look great. However, I have learned from my brother's past mistakes.

This is going back over a decade, but I believe everything is still the same with insurance.

He had a private car, and he set out as a sole trader. Sold the car and bought as big a van as he could. Drove it for 3-4 years and then the business went to the wall (he was pretty good at what he did in fairness, but the recession did a number on him).

He sold the van, closed up the business and bought a private car again.

When he sold his car in the first place and got the van, insurance hit him with a massive premium because he had never drove commercially, and effectively treated him like a brand new driver that had never set foot in a car.

When he sold the van and bought a car again, they said 2 years have elapsed, so your 'no claims bonus' is gone and again treated him like a completely new driver that had never felt a steering wheel before.

He was rode at every opportunity and had to build up his no claims bonus again from scratch. It's the most ridiculous system I have ever heard of.

I'm currently insured with RSA via Bank of Ireland, and they give me fantastic premiums, however, they told me they won't insure any commercial vehicles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement