Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subnautica

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Those duplicate parts come in handy when you're stuck for a bit of Titanium and don't want to go looking for outcrops. And yes, Cyclops is epic but hard! Enjoy fishing for the parts for that, you'll need a good bit more depth for your Seamoth!

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention and you've probably already copped it, but the lifepod messages are kinda like waypoints to work towards progressing, so very helpful in the first part of the game until you've got your feet body wet. I made a point of upgrading in order to reach the next one, which may point you towards something else to get the next upgrade or general idea of where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, i thought that was the only way to progress the story but if i started fresh now, I'd be flying into it. Current playtime is about 8 hours and I've barely felt that go by (good sign). I have plans for ultra fins and iceberg tank but need to finish my modification station first.

I think the biggest problem this game has is it's first objective of repairing the lifepod. I almost gave up because i couldn't find cave sulfer. The fact that you usually run away from predators means it's countertuitive to go back to the scene of the crime. If the repair tool was easier to make, would have kicked off the game much quicker imo.

I love the fact of how easy it is to build a habitat though, as in the minimum of easy to get parts gets you a nice little home. I thought it would be ages before i made somewhere even remotely habital, nevermind somewhere i love.

Right, I've been to 3 large wrecks according to YouTube and not one laser cutter part where they had been there in the vids. Decided to make a torch so i could see better instead of using a flare but needed quartz. Went directly under lifepod 5 and saw a cargo box with none other than a laser cutter part ffs. Oh i need another diamond to make it, great.... Eventually got that and doesn't time making a propolsion canon as well. Have everything i need now for Aurora I think.... Next stop, here we go...

Alright, that was fecking amazing! The loot, the lore, the 'keep calm' kitty poster, model ship, BLUE CAP! All great stuff, tense as **** as well. I
    repaired the core so I'm guessing radiation should start going down. Took off my helmet to test but wouldn't make sense to be instant :)

I didn't get a Cyclops blueprint which i was disappointed by. Found an engine print but not a vehicle print. Googled it to make sure i wasn't missing anything and sisterly the cargo bay can hold 3 Cyclops parts but only had 1 for me.

Anyway, end goal now on the table, a pawn suit to build that looks like it will take me down to where i need to go and a list of parts that i haven't even heard of yet...

I'm still missing 1 part for modification station though and i want the upgraded oxygen tank so might look up location for that, will have to go back to the larger wrecks as well to use the cutting tool.

Goddamn this is such a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cutting into the big wrecks will get you everything you need, would be nice to have the oxygen tank before you start going in to them though.

You updates are making me crave a replay tbh, really hope Below Zero is good, hearing some dodgy rumours about it on Reddit, Disney style characters and more action than survival sim etc, too early to tell.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Cutting into the big wrecks will get you everything you need, would be nice to have the oxygen tank before you start going in to them though.

You updates are making me crave a replay tbh, really hope Below Zero is good, hearing some dodgy rumours about it on Reddit, Disney style characters and more action than survival sim etc, too early to tell.

Uh that sounds a bit weird, I'm hoping it will at least keep the feeling of relaxing and terrified at the same ****ing time.

I'm 14 hours in and it's mad to think if i started this again, I'd probably be where i am in 2 :)

Also, this game has consumed by non gaming time but popping rights into my head like "yeah, that wreck by 17, yeah that will have treasures no doubt.....mmmm yeah what do i need for the cyclops .... I wonder what's in the North West of the map.."

Im going to save the replay and try it in VR when I build my next setup. Yeah I was literally obsessed for a few days when I finished it first, Im still telling people at work about it, none of them have even heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Really was an amazing game when you get to endgame I don't know how one would figure it out without looking it up tbh

It's so good for a relative sleeper hit

Ye weren't lying about the large wreck cutter doors, ton of blueprints in just 2 i visited. Made the mod station, ultra fins and ultra tank. I need another 5 parts for the cyclops and the prawn suit just needs parts i haven't discovered yet.

At this point, am i better off just going straight for prawn suit to go proper diving? Or getting the rest of the blueprints for the cyclops? I want to explore jelly cave place properly. Anytime i go down there, i don't come back up :(

I didn't most of tonight looking for lithium. I have no problem googling locations for resources, no way could i try finding them on my own. I should take build the platform for the
    rocket
    as well to see what parts I'll need next.

Also, looking back at my clues section, i have 2 alien locations to visit, 1 at 800m and the other at 1200. Tad bit further than my record so far off 300. Will definitely need the prawn suit or cyclops to proceed.

Don't invest in the spoiler yet, that's endgame, save your resources for the Cyclops, after that it's relatively smooth sailing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

By the end, you will need both.

Can't remember precisely how useful each is, but I went with the cyclops first, as it's essentially a
    mobile base

A hint for using the cyclops:
    remember to turn the lights off when you leave, they do consume power

Got to explore the whole jellyfish cave, absolutely class down there. Nice lore and ton of valuable resources.

Got the max depth mod on my seamoth, 900m. Found the
    ancient skeleton, nasty looking leviathan, leviathan egg tree and an alien base I couldn't get into.
    What a ****ing dive, incredibly claustrophobic, scary and exciting. Actually took a deep breath when I got back to the surface.

Made the Prawn Suit but disappointed it starts with 900m depth and not very mobile. Plenty of upgrades for it though. I still need to find the Cyclops parts, think that will be my next goal.

Edit: actually, my next goal is the
    alien disease research center.
    i can reach that in my seamoth and sure to move the story along.

Ok so decided to head back to what i now know is the Lost River (thanks Google) and it turns out my first time there was an absolute fluke. I almost feel into the trench opening, all the way down, no creators bothering me, just electric eel fellas around, found loads of stuff and back out without a scratch. This time, armed with a purple tablet, I couldn't find it again. Went off the edge of the map 3 times and killed 3 times. After googling the creators, have to admit, i thought Leviathans would be bigger. They got the job done anyway. 4th reload, i found it again but got completely lost down there and wrecked by the crab things. Made it to the facility down there with 5 health in my seamoth left. Decided to quit and will try again later. Might just let google tell me where to at least find the opening this time and drop a beacon.

I'll be honest, I didn't get there until about 20 hours in and with far more equipment than you had! And it's still beautifully creepy. Didn't get into the place itself (never brought a tablet) but it was also being guarded by something you haven't mentioned yet so I don't want to spoil what that is (it's not specific to there, but appears to be near most alien structures). I don't like them at all, their "ability" is annoying.

Re: the Seamoth, you can use the repair tool on it. Saved me so many times! Took me ages also to find the opening, and I will admit to having a map on hand, I've no doubt if there was a map scanning tool, I wouldn't have much more info than what a flat map can give. But I can find it without the map now, starting to get used to where one biome ends and the other begins. Although I'm also pretty sure I can come in from a different side too.

One of my attempts ended with me being hit by something,
    being warped miles away, my seamoth miles somewhere else and then a reaper ate me. I googled the creatures to find out what happened :pac: The reapers are dangerous but a bit underwhelming. Hopefully the next game has bigger baddies

Yeah, them feckers!

Found the
    3rd Degassi base, barely made it out alive from crab head going mental outside. Went back to the disease research facility and found a lot of info. I have 2 locations next, a thermal plant at 1200m and containment facility at 1400m, both too far for my seamoth or current Prawn. I found 2 areas to go lower in lost river so I'm not sure if they lead to both facilities or what but it's a lead. I'm guessing I'll find the vaccine at the containment facility or at least the means to make it.

I don't fancy upgrading my prawn and taking it down there so will hunt for Cyclops parts next. At least that can carry the prawn as well.

After that stressful but brilliant exploration, i decided to treat myself to a base upgrade and finally a bed! It's just a moonpool and multi-purpose room but I've spent far too long just walking around admiring it.

https://twitter.com/Sheehy_83/status/1364016167409639426?s=19

You're going at some pace, you're about to pass me by. But I haven't played in a while, Dying Light taking all my attention.

You're going at some pace, you're about to pass me by. But I haven't played in a while, Dying Light taking all my attention.

19 hours, 40 minutes in. I just got Metro Redux in the post and i don't want to start that until Sub is finished, good motivation :)

Went for a jaunt up N/NE and found the reinforced suit and cyclops blueprints in one quick trip. Once those are made, I'll need depth upgrades I think and then off I go but next step is resource hunting. One thing I needed was fiber mesh, Ah I have one of those....where is it....aaaahhh I used it on my bed! Ah was worth it.

The fact I don't have to worry about food or drink is a big bonus and I don't feel it has cheapened the experience one bit.

• Advertisement

The Cyclops is a monster, no idea it was that big. Haven't even taken for a spin yet. Started the engine but afraid I'll wreck it. Gonna get the depth yours first and will take her out then. Incredible machine though, wish I'd looked for it sooner.

That's where I am, reluctant to bring her down anywhere because it was a pain to collect resources for it!

That's where I am, reluctant to bring her down anywhere because it was a pain to collect resources for it!

I had to YouTube where the mk1 depth module was for the cyclops, i would have never found that and it's crucial to get to where the story is pointing me to. I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade the prawn as well as i can't see the Cyclops navigating tunnels too well. Just need to install a fabricator and modification station on it so i can collect and upgrade without going back to the base.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone played the Switch version? I've heard it's not a great port, but if true, if it had been patched to decency? Too lazy to read up the thread :pac:

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just need to install a fabricator and modification station on it so i can collect and upgrade without going back to the base.

If you have another one you're not using, dismantle it and build it again on the Cyclops. One of the best things about this crafting game is when you deconstruct, you get everything back so can immediately build again.

If you have another one you're not using, dismantle it and build it again on the Cyclops. One of the best things about this crafting game is when you deconstruct, you get everything back so can immediately build again.

Good idea! Yupp i love that feature. I was annoyed you couldn't move anything but that works just as well, except for storage, moving everything in my 6 large lockers will be a pain but yeah, this should be my main base that goes around with me from now on i think.

Would be nice if you could use the alien tech to portal stuff from Base A to wherever. For Subnautica 2 maybe.

Ok, i need to finish this game soon, I'm spending way too much time collecting resources. Don't get me wrong, in enjoying it but i feel i need to move on. Spent most of my night moving storage to the sub and then realising i have to build a vehicle upgrade station in a moonpool. But annoying you can't put one on the Cyclops!

Finally, i have depth mk2 on Cyclops, MK1 on Prawn with a drill arm. Both can go 1300m. Next stop Lost River and what lies below.

Took the sub out for a test drive. Banging it off everything and kind of slow so i said go full speed.
    Fecking engine catches on fire, thank God it comes equipped with a fire extinguisher

How I'm supposed to get it through Lost River, I've no idea but that's my next stop anyway. Also built a power cell recharger as this thing seems to eat cells.

I'll need to start up my save again, but if I recall my second base is set up at the opposite end of the Lost River (relatively) near the Aurora front, and the way in is a lot bigger, accessed via the Mushroom Forest. I will double check, but I can't imagine trying to get the Cyclops down the other way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah, you get used to driving it eventually. I used to lash around the Lost River at full speed, only stopping when you get to the canyon exit.

Advertisement