Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices creeping up day-by-day

Options
  • 15-02-2021 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but in the Ennis area, Petrol prices re genuinely creeping up by the cent every day.

If oil prices have gone up, then fair enough, but I don't understand the way for example a Maxol near us has gone from 124.8 to 134.9 in the last couple of weeks. It wasn't a sudden change either, it was creeping up by 2 cent, back down by 1, up another 2 etc.

The other stations kinda follow-suit then with the progressive changes.

Surely if an order for them comes in, it makes no sense to be upping their own price by-the-day then.

*Granted I'm only a user and never involved in those businesses.

It's just frustrating to see the prices going back towards peak prices very swiftly and quietly again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In fairness, the minimum price you'll ever see is about 1.05 due to our taxation on fuel
    Peak pricing was 169.9 in the last spike. It's been between those parameters for the last 15 years at least.

134.9 for petrol is not that bad, means the net price without taxes is below 40c a litre

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s interesting that you mention Ennis. There has been a gap of a few cents per litre between most of the Ennis petrol stations (Clare Road is probably the easiest to notice as there are a bunch of them in a row heading towards Limerick) and the stations in Limerick (with 1 or 2 exceptions in Limerick City)
    Shannon was always about 5-8c more than Ennis too, but I reckon they’ve had to compete a bit more now that traffic from the airport is minimal. Certainly in the last year there was only 1-2c in the difference with Ennis.
    The gap is gone now though, Ennis and Limerick are pretty evenly matched now, and Shannon has put their prices up accordingly.

I think the price of petrol has just gone up generally, but it’s interesting to see the trends and anomalies for such a small geographic area.

Obviously businesses are free to charge what they want, and they have to keep the lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ELM327 wrote: »
    In fairness, the minimum price you'll ever see is about 1.05 due to our taxation on fuel
    Peak pricing was 169.9 in the last spike. It's been between those parameters for the last 15 years at least.

134.9 for petrol is not that bad, means the net price without taxes is below 40c a litre

Yeh that's fair enough - In regards to peak price I definitely don't remember anything over 149.9 between Limerick-Tipp

It's more the upping it by-the-day etc bugs me tbh.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s interesting that you mention Ennis. There has been a gap of a few cents per litre between most of the Ennis petrol stations (Clare Road is probably the easiest to notice as there are a bunch of them in a row heading towards Limerick) and the stations in Limerick (with 1 or 2 exceptions in Limerick City)
    Shannon was always about 5-8c more than Ennis too, but I reckon they’ve had to compete a bit more now that traffic from the airport is minimal. Certainly in the last year there was only 1-2c in the difference with Ennis.
    The gap is gone now though, Ennis and Limerick are pretty evenly matched now, and Shannon has put their prices up accordingly.

I think the price of petrol has just gone up generally, but it’s interesting to see the trends and anomalies for such a small geographic area.

Obviously businesses are free to charge what they want, and they have to keep the lights on.

That's also very fair about charging what they want - Just felt like a cartel job almost where something like Top put theirs up by 3 cent a litre. Few days later then Applegreen put up their price to match them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If you want to see crazy price swings, drive in Germany.
    Prices vary by location, and the time of the day, and day of the week.

I noticed a 30¢ difference in diesel on a 200km drive.
    Cheapest being late morning out in the country side, and most expensive on the bahn approaching rush hour on a Friday.

In Munich, the hotel I stayed in had a petrol station next door.. the prices changed a few times a day.

It made me realise how stable prices are back home.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but in the Ennis area, Petrol prices re genuinely creeping up by the cent every day.

If oil prices have gone up, then fair enough, but I don't understand the way for example a Maxol near us has gone from 124.8 to 134.9 in the last couple of weeks. It wasn't a sudden change either, it was creeping up by 2 cent, back down by 1, up another 2 etc.

The other stations kinda follow-suit then with the progressive changes.

Surely if an order for them comes in, it makes no sense to be upping their own price by-the-day then.

*Granted I'm only a user and never involved in those businesses.

It's just frustrating to see the prices going back towards peak prices very swiftly and quietly again.

Now at 137.9 after going up by 1c per litre 3 separate days. Other petrol stations following suit generally 1c less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this time last year during the first lockdown it was at its lowest for years, but of course half of us couldn't take advantage of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

mikeecho wrote: »
    If you want to see crazy price swings, drive in Germany.
    Prices vary by location, and the time of the day, and day of the week.

I noticed a 30¢ difference in diesel on a 200km drive.
    Cheapest being late morning out in the country side, and most expensive on the bahn approaching rush hour on a Friday.

In Munich, the hotel I stayed in had a petrol station next door.. the prices changed a few times a day.

It made me realise how stable prices are back home.

Wow... that's a shocker. Imagine something 'somewhere else' being worse than it is here. You should start a new topic on things that are 'worse in Germany than they are in Ireland'.... might actually make people realise just how good they have it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭easyvision

Fuel prices have gone up from $30s to into the $60s a barrel now... and only going up. €1.50 a liter won’t be far off I’d imagine. Funny the level of tax has gone dramatically up as when oil was $150 a barrel in 2008 we maxed out about €1.60 a liter. At $150 a barrel now it would be well over €2 a liter I’d imagine. Doesn’t matter though what price it is in a way.... people will still pay it, might complain but people have no choice. And no buying a new electric thing for 40k isn’t in a lot of people’s budget, so might not a 20k car. Also a lot people might not want to buy an awful looking old Nissan Leaf with half the battery gone with not much range, before the eco lefty, saving the world brigade come on. Until an average car is €25k and real world 500/600km range with most places having charging people won’t buy in massive numbers. Most journeys might be short for most people but could you be bothered plugging in all the time to keep it topped up. I also see electricity prices sky rocketing once more of the population coverts. Motor tax will also go up, the govt aren’t going to forgo the income stream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Oil has increased about $10 a barrel over the last few weeks. Add in the Texas issues that is driving up the prices.

But why are stations putting it up constantly day-by-day?

• Advertisement

Did you read the previous post ?

mikeecho wrote: »
    Did you read the previous post ?

I’m well able to read, thanks.

It’s the day-to-day increases that annoy me.

You don’t see shops fluctuating prices on a day-to-day basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

You would if the price they were paying for the goods was changing day by day?

The cost of the product OIL) is increasing daily.

Thus petrol & diesel & kerosene are all increasing in price.

If the price of potatoes was increasing at a daily rate.. even doubling in price, I'm sure you'd understand.. and you'd still be annoyed.

Get yourself an extra battered sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Oil prices have risen 23% in the last 30 days. $55 to $68

This is not far off the 5 year high of $82 and is the highest price in almost 2.5 years

Fuel prices change twice a week at wholesale.

Margins are tiny, so all changes are implemented at each delivery and most stations will get a delivery every week. Busy stations will have 2 or 3 deliveries a week.

Vat goes back to 23% next Monday, so there's another 3c

There are two Certa's near me. One in Drogheda, and one just north of Ashbourne on the N2.

About a 20 minute journey between them, and they both seem to have a reasonable amount of footfall (based on my own times being there, albeit drogheda does seem busier). The Drogheda one is always a few cent more expensive than the one on the N2. I always fill up on the N2 if I'm passing it, and I've noticed up to 10c in the difference at times, and often hangs around 6-8c in general in the difference.

Seems a bit mad, but at the same time, Certa seem to just price-match the nearest stations, so almost all stations in the vicinity of those two are similarly priced. I drive all over the country and that little stretch of N2 seems regularly among the cheapest prices I ever come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

easyvision wrote: »
    ... Motor tax will also go up, the govt aren’t going to forgo the income stream
    :confused:

Motor tax doesn't go to the Government. The Government actually subsidise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The reality is that work has changed and many of us will never return to the office of old.

2 car family's are already downsizing to 1 car and the commute of old is diminished. Our 2 cars are now driven 5km a day depending which one Mrs lantus uses. My commute is zero.

As a result the fuel will go up to adjust for more infrequent purchases and the change in market conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Lantus wrote: »
    The reality is that work has changed and many of us will never return to the office of old.

2 car family's are already downsizing to 1 car and the commute of old is diminished. Our 2 cars are now driven 5km a day depending which one Mrs lantus uses. My commute is zero.

As a result the fuel will go up to adjust for more infrequent purchases and the change in market conditions.

Way way overthinking it. If anything people will drive more as cars won't be sitting in an office carpark for 8 hours.

The change will be negligible.

Went home for some ‘essential’ business

Petrol prices in Ennis 137.9-140.9

Tipp Town = 132.9-136.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Darc19 wrote: »
    Way way overthinking it. If anything people will drive more as cars won't be sitting in an office carpark for 8 hours.

People will still be busy working during the day, so their cars will still be sitting somewhere for the same 8 hours.

This is not a comment on fuel prices, which, I agree, are unlikely to be significantly impacted by the amount of driving we do.

Advertisement