Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Notices 1980’s

Options
  • 31-01-2021 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I want to request a death certificate of a relative who died in the late 1980’s.

Is there a way to find the exact date of the death online, without visiting the grave?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If there was a notice posted in a newspaper, you could get the date that way. If you want to PM me a name and location, I can take a look for you in a couple of the archive sites.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Other than what Spurious offered, no, unfortunately.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Do you know where the individual was buried?
    If so, there may be online access to a headstone photo or burial record with a date of death.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just realised that with a low post count, the OP may not be able to send PMs, so I have sent one to them from me. I think that allows them to reply to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

EER wrote: »
    I want to request a death certificate of a relative who died in the late 1980’s.

Is there a way to find the exact date of the death online, without visiting the grave?

A death notice in a newspaper is probably the most accurate. Unfortunately Rip.ie online death notices only go back to the mid 2000s.

It might be worth searching on Findagrave.com to see if someone has uploaded the burial record, with maybe a photo of the headstone, if there is one. I have transcribed numerous headstones for Findagrave, however, sometimes only a year is recorded, and often dates on the headstone are different to dates on the death certificate. This can happen when the headstone is erected many years after the death.

• Advertisement
Advertisement