Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you have to earn to be rich?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Currently 32 earning 58K a year with a 10% bonus and living at home with the parents. I am not living in Dublin. I am single and have no intention of ever getting a mortgage unless I get married. Definitely not falling into that mortgage trap as a single person. I don't drive a flashy new car. I have a 2010 1.6 TDI and its flying. Hasn't given me one ounce of trouble. Fools and their money are soon parted.

I have 3700 euro going into my bank account every month(Including Bonus). I have more money than I know what to do with.

I'm lucky at home as my parents have the down stairs and I have the upstairs so separate bathroom, separate living room. I did live with friends for about five years paying 350 a month for a room but we soon went our separate ways, women etc. I'm not going to travel 30 miles away to live with strangers and be away from my home time for the sake of it. What's the point?

I could go anywhere in the world if I wanted to every single month.

I would consider myself rich but as soon as i can retire I will.

Each to their own I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Muller1966

I have turned 50 . Paid my mortgage off a few months ago. Feel a great sense of security after a 30 year slog of repayments . However the stress of having a very large debt for such a long time takes its toll and at the end most people are burned out by long hours , stress etc etc . Hopefully I will enjoy the future years knowing nobody can take my home from me .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Currently 32 earning 58K a year with a 10% bonus and living at home with the parents. I am not living in Dublin. I am single and have no intention of ever getting a mortgage unless I get married. Definitely not falling into that mortgage trap as a single person. I don't drive a flashy new car. I have a 2010 1.6 TDI and its flying. Hasn't given me one ounce of trouble. Fools and their money are soon parted.

I have 3700 euro going into my bank account every month(Including Bonus). I have more money than I know what to do with. No loans, No bills etc. (Bar paying the elec, phone, oil, 50% of food bill for the parents, 50% property tax, 50% insurance).

I'm lucky at home as my parents have the down stairs and I have the upstairs so separate bathroom, separate living room. I did live with friends for about five years paying 350 a month for a room but we soon went our separate ways, women etc. I'm not going to travel 30 miles away to live with strangers and be away from my home time for the sake of it. What's the point?

nice first post and username:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You can get 150k per year and still not have a dime .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Muller1966 wrote: »
    I have turned 50 . Paid my mortgage off a few months ago. Feel a great sense of security after a 30 year slog of repayments . However the stress of having a very large debt for such a long time takes its toll and at the end most people are burned out by long hours , stress etc etc . Hopefully I will enjoy the future years knowing nobody can take my home from me .

Congrats.

I turned 50 recently as well. While I haven't paid mine off yet because it's a tracker, when I got my statement this year, I realised that my savings now well pass my mortgage, so whatever happens, I'm home and dry. Really such a turning point and relief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

iamtony wrote: »
    nice first post and username:D

Thanks, I'm a long time reader. Just reading some threads on living at home at a certain age and had to laugh at the stupidity of some people who are probably just angry at having feck all to spend every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Each to their own I suppose

They've got it down in all fairness. You see people win 150m on lotto that are broke in two years.
    Good to save, good to put money away for a rainy day.

They've got it down in all fairness. You see people win 150m on lotto that are broke in two years.

Thanks, Just to add my parents are far from broke either but that's the arrangement we came up with. I think my Dad wanted me to take some responsibility but is over the moon that i'm still in the house along with my mother.

There's a house in my area for rent for 1100 a month. Not a hope i'm paying that on my own when I have a perfectly good bed in my parents.

Thanks, Just to add my parents are far from broke either but that's the arrangement we came up with. I think my Dad wanted me to take some responsibility but is over the moon that i'm still in the house along with my mother.

There's a house in my area for rent for 1100 a month. Not a hope i'm paying that on my own when I have a perfectly good bed in my parents.
    Your dead right, build your wealth and buy a house cash if you ever need to my friend. A family support network is very important and goes both ways and the whole irish stigma over living with your parents is ridiculous especially since you've got your own floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I have 3700 euro going into my bank account every month(Including Bonus). I have more money than I know what to do with. No loans, No bills etc. (Bar paying the elec, phone, oil, 50% of food bill for the parents, 50% property tax, 50% insurance).

Youre not on a huge salary, but because you barely have any of the regular outgoings, if I was in your shoes I'd class myself as rich too. Most people earning upwards of 3k per month have huge mortgages /insurance/childcare costs.

I would be happy on that salary if I was in your shoes too, but if I had many outgoings and children it wouldn't stretch very far

For me to ever consider myself rich, it would mean being able to do or go wherever I wanted whenever I wanted, not to a major extent, but being able to go away for the weekend every weekend if I wanted to.. Etc! I don't need to be a millionaire for that!

• Advertisement

Ah now come on 150 mil people dont go broke, your thinking of normal lotto winners, that's easily spend.

anewme wrote: »
    Congrats.

I turned 50 recently as well. While I haven't paid mine off yet because it's a tracker, when I got my statement this year, I realised that my savings now well pass my mortgage, so whatever happens, I'm home and dry. Really such a turning point and relief.

Let me tell you what being rich is ,

1) good health
    B) manageable stress,
    C) having your kids off your books and still having a good relationship with them
    D) appreciation of what you have above and not trying to keep up a false image that you can’t afford .

Sadly like many other people it takes years to realize what is really important. A good health scare is a good kick up the behind to make you wake up and realize you have one life so go live it . Simple and basic rules that work for me .

Let me tell you what being rich is ,

1) good health
    B) manageable stress,
    C) having your kids off your books and still having a good relationship with them
    D) appreciation of what you have above and not trying to keep up a false image that you can’t afford .

Sadly like many other people it takes years to realize what is really important. A good health scare is a good kick up the behind to make you wake up and realize you have one life so go live it . Simple and basic rules that work for me .
    1) B) C) D) hahaha. Someone's on the sauce:D

Well observed . Haven’t drank in ten years. ��

Well observed . Haven’t drank in ten years. ��
    No harm:pac:

Edit: oh sorry drink isn't involved. Would of been funnier if it was ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

nullzero wrote: »
    You think 75-90k per annum is an average income?

It most definitely is if it's household income. Two adults each making 40-45K a year most definitely aren't rich, especially if they have kids.

And this is what I hate about this country. You a hard working man all your life, paying off your 30 year mortgage and Sally at 21 down the road pops out a kid and has a house for life.

There is something seriously seriously wrong with this country. It rewards the people who don't work.

People getting a social house are better off than a couple earning 90K a year between them.

It most definitely is if it's household income. Two adults each making 40-45K a year most definitely aren't rich, especially if they have kids.

No maybe not but thats because of their life style choices to live in a "nice" area and drive a "nice" car. That's enough money to make any family well off if they dont fold under the societal pressures of keeping up with the Jones.

Seriously break it down. Mortgage 1200-1500 a month vs salary 7000 a month anything extra is just showing off. The normal way is to buy a starter home, maybe it of the city of in an area not classified as "posh"
    Food about 600 a month if kids involved.

Utilities 150 a month again with kids.

Car 500 a month.

So that's the necessities and leaves €4250 a month. Actually I never accounted for tax so maybe take 1000 a month off that so round it off to 3k excess a month. That's a well off family unless the parents are morons.

Unless your getting a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche (only expensive cars i can think of at the top of my head), I don't see why anyone would spend more than 7K on a car.

Its utterly pointless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No maybe not but thats because of their life style choices to live in a "nice" area and drive a "nice" car. That's enough money to make any family well off if they dont fold under the societal pressures of keeping up with the Jones.

Seriously break it down. Mortgage 1200-1500 a month vs salary 7000 a month anything extra is just showing off. The normal way is to buy a starter home, maybe it of the city of in an area not classified as "posh"

Car 500 a month.

So that's the necessities and leaves €4250 a month. Actually I never accounted for tax so maybe take 1000 a month off that so round it off to 3k excess a month. That's a well off family unless the parents are morons.

Two adults on 45k each would pay more than 1k in tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

Car 500 a month.

Do you actually think that you only pay €1,000 tax a month on €7,000 of earnings? Do you have a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

And this is what I hate about this country. You a hard working man, paying off your 30 year mortgage and Sally at 21 down the road pops out a kid and has a house for life.

There is something seriously seriously wrong with this country.

I semi agree with this. I've slogged my absolute guts out for years and years, working through illness and other serious problems, underemployed and living in poverty, sharing flats with people I hated and only now in my mid thirties am I anywhere near getting on my feet. It's galling to see girls I went to school with who have literally never worked a day in their lives in 3-bed houses with gardens and plenty of money to spend in the pub, all because they popped out kids, when I'm still flat sharing and hoping to buy sometime in the next 5-7 years if I save every penny I have and get a few promotions. It feels so desperately unfair.

But then you have to think, life isn't fair. I already have it far easier than most in the world being born in Ireland and not Syria or somewhere, I got a good education for free, I have opportunities. And ultimately I believe I'm better off than the people with their social housing and child benefit, because I have lots of opportunities and they don't. If I want to feck off to work in Dubai or London or New York, I can. They're stuck where they are, chained to the welfare state, at the mercy of future policy changes or cuts (look at how the UK is now).

Ultimately, would you want to live like that? I don't think I would.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno wrote: »
    Two adults on 45k each would pay more than 1k in tax?

Checked on 45k its approx 900 each a month on tax

Unless your getting a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche (only expensive cars i can think of at the top of my head), I don't see why anyone would spend more than 7K on a car.

Its utterly pointless.
    Cause they are jealous of their neighbours new car in a lot of cases. We have a new SUV in the garden and I can feel the neighbours jealousy when i drive past in them in it some will probably go into debt shortly to keep up appearances but they dont realise we pay for things with cash. I did have one neighbour say to me paying for it now will be something, I cant remember but he tried to justify it to himself that we got it on pcp or something. Sad really.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Do you actually think that you only pay €1,000 tax a month on €7,000 of earnings? Do you have a job?

I'm a taxi driver so dont pay much tax:pac:

I'm a taxi driver so dont pay much tax:pac:

Which is why cash should be outlawed for taxi fares

Checked on 45k its approx 900 each a month on tax

So maybe 1500 a month when combined and family tax credits applied. Not far off. Still a lot of cash left.

Which is why cash should be outlawed for taxi fares

Dont be jealous now. It's not even the cash thing it's being self employed and being able to write off 40% of the value of the car each year and fuel etc.

So maybe 1500 a month when combined and family tax credits applied. Not far off. Still a lot of cash left.

Nope closer to 1800 and more if civil servants.

And your figures for utilities are way off. 150 a month is my gas and electricity add internet,bins, TV and its twice that

• Advertisement

Cause they are jealous of their neighbours new car in a lot of cases. We have a new SUV in the garden and I can feel the neighbours jealousy when i drive past in them in it some will probably go into debt shortly to keep up appearances but they dont realise we pay for things with cash. I did have one neighbour say to me paying for it now will be something, I cant remember but he tried to justify it to himself that we got it on pcp or something. Sad really.

No problem when people can genuinely pay for them and its not crippling them whatsoever, but some families are living pay check to pay check with two new cars and might get out once a month for a meal and a few drinks. Basically their life is work, home. Rinse and repeat.

Reminds me of Mrs Bucket.

Advertisement