Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby On Board

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Women between the age of 17-45 who use the dart, train and commuter services quite a bit if the abuse of disability travel passes is anything to go by

Hope you carry those chips on each shoulder to balance you out. Spread the load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Public transport is one thing. I was genuinely taken aback at the fact heavily pregnant women were left standing in the coombe waiting room while men sat. Every 20 mins or so a nurse had to come out and announce that pregnant women had priority on the seats. Absolutely shameful to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well sure, look. How many people do you think will go to the bother of getting one of those? The odd loser? Grand, I’ll take my chances.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭pgj2015

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'll always, always give up my seat for someone who looks like they need it.

It's not always obvious though, so I think the badges are a good idea.

Really? people going around wearing badges like the ones we had for out 6th birthday.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=will+mckenzie+badge&rlz=1C1DSGQ_enIE519IE519&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-pIi_y_PYAhXlCsAKHUu1AJoQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=4eeR3ZemzzAprM:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Whispered wrote: »
    Public transport is one thing. I was genuinely taken aback at the fact heavily pregnant women were left standing in the coombe waiting room while men sat. Every 20 mins or so a nurse had to come out and announce that pregnant women had priority on the seats. Absolutely shameful to be honest.

I saw that happen too . Mainly a certain group of people which I will refrain from mentioning as I will be jumped on
    I saw one tiny five foot nurse come out and shout at the men to have manners and get up off her womens chairs .I wanted to clap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

I'm pregnant and I've got a badge. My husband got it for me because I've got extreme pain in my right hip due to multiple historic surgeries that the pregnancy has aggravated.

You'll all be delighted to learn that I've not once been offered a seat. At one stage en route to work I actually had to get off the luas to sit briefly to relieve the hip pressure and then get back on to another luas. I thought I was going to collapse. I'm sure if I did I'd be left to crawl home on my hands and knees as I deserve for the crime of having a child.

Pregnant women can't take medication for pain so it's not as manageable as usual.

Prior to getting pregnant myself I've always, always offered my seat to anyone that I thought might need it - elderly, pregnant or disabled. Thanks to the ridiculous attitudes visible in this thread that kind of practice is on the wane.

You'll all be old and sick one day.

Yes, and when I'm old and sick and I need a seat on the train or bus I will ask politely and if I get a "no" then I will ask the next person.

Instead of standing around wearing my pathetic little badge and hoping that someone will notice me.

You could have just said "excuse me, I'm struggling a bit here and I'm pregnant could I please take your seat". I reckon most people would be agreeable to that.

Depending on which door you use on the luas, and how busy it is there's a chance that you'd only even be spotted by a couple of people who are sitting in seats.

Most people I see on public transport have their attention on their phones or other distractions. What are you doing? Standing around waiting to be noticed?

Did you at least try to get attention? Do you sigh really loudly and talk to yourself saying "just me and my badge here, standing around all day, punished for the crime of having a child"? :pac:

If you ever asked me for my seat I'd gladly oblige. No problem whatsoever.

Otherwise, I'll be looking at my phone or reading my book, trying to avoid eye contact with the other passengers.

There's no point standing around hoping to be noticed and then giving out because nobody gave you a seat. You want a seat? Ask politely.

"Oh no but I might get a rude answer". Well, if proabbly less than 1% chance of a rude answer is enough to make you choose to endure extreme pain then that's on you too.

A Baby on Board sticker gets you nothing but the possibility of someone standing up and offering you their seat if the bus or train is full. Why on earth would any reasonably normal person go to the bother of faking a sticker for that vague possibility.
    If they do, they obviously have problems or issues so shur let them have the seat.

Look some people are shameless and would try anything just for the hell of it, they are out there.

Anyway personally I tend not to read badges or pins or anything of that sort, I'm far more likely to notice that a woman is pregnant rather than a badge she's wearing to tell me that she is pregnant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Yes, and when I'm old and sick and I need a seat on the train or bus I will ask politely and if I get a "no" then I will ask the next person.

Instead of standing around wearing my pathetic little badge and hoping that someone will notice me.

You could have just said "excuse me, I'm struggling a bit here and I'm pregnant could I please take your seat". I reckon most people would be agreeable to that.

Depending on which door you use on the luas, and how busy it is there's a chance that you'd only even be spotted by a couple of people who are sitting in seats.

Most people I see on public transport have their attention on their phones or other distractions. What are you doing? Standing around waiting to be noticed?

Did you at least try to get attention? Do you sigh really loudly and talk to yourself saying "just me and my badge here, standing around all day, punished for the crime of having a child"? :pac:

Otherwise, I'll be looking at my phone or reading my book, trying to avoid eye contact with the other passengers.

There's no point standing around hoping to be noticed and then giving out because nobody gave you a seat. You want a seat? Ask politely.

"Oh no but I might get a rude answer". Well, if proabbly less than 1% chance of a rude answer is enough to make you choose to endure extreme pain then that's on you too.

Hey I'll do wtf I like ta. You've got issues :pac:

Sadly they don’t feel shame. They can’t relate to anyone but themselves but that goes for a lot of people. I’m convinced it’s the way they were dragged up.

But on the other side you've got people who don't want to take responsibility for themselves.

You can look at folks and call them shameless and say they haven't been raised properly but it's far more likely that they just haven't noticed.

If I'm sitting in the little group of 4 on the LUAS facing backward should my head be on a swivel at every stop making sure that nobody standing behind me needs a seat?

If folks want a seat then they should take some responsibility and ask for a seat instead of expecting the whole world to keep an eye out for them coming on to public transport so we can all offer out seat in unison.

If you're in that much pain or if you're really struggling then ask for help. Instead of assuming that everyone around you is a terrible person who doesn't care or want to help. Probably they never even noticed you exist.

Hey I'll do wtf I like ta. You've got issues :pac:

Everyone's got issues.

Maybe I should get a badge...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Hope you carry those chips on each shoulder to balance you out. Spread the load.

Thank you for your concern, much appreciated.

Love too be mansplained on tinternet

People with no experience of pregnancy or disability saying righteously what they'd do, instead of just having a bit of care for your fellow man. It's genuinely funny watching people bend over backwards to defend being d1ckheads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Jesus what a f***ed up thread. My wife was pregnant last year. We're both rather shy, retiring types so initially we didn't say anything when people (yes, women too) would cheerfully ignore the pregnant girl standing beside them on tube. But after a while, especially as the bump went from big to huge, we started getting more and more annoyed... initially we'd politely ask for a seat. It got more and more infuriating - I could see people avoiding eye contact, deliberately going out of their way to pretend they couldn't see my poor, encumbered wife. Towards the end of the pregnancy, we'd instinctively pick the person who had made the most obvious attempt to ignore her and she'd tell them bluntly "I need this seat."

I think the badge is a good idea. It might work for people who genuinely haven't noticed the pregnant lady in their carriage or for those who aren't 100% sure if their kind offer won't be rebuffed (it never will!). It probably won't make any difference to the alarming number of complete sh**heads we encountered though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

But on the other side you've got people who don't want to take responsibility for themselves.

You can look at folks and call them shameless and say they haven't been raised properly but it's far more likely that they just haven't noticed.

If I'm sitting in the little group of 4 on the LUAS facing backward should my head be on a swivel at every stop making sure that nobody standing behind me needs a seat?

If folks want a seat then they should take some responsibility and ask for a seat instead of expecting the whole world to keep an eye out for them coming on to public transport so we can all offer out seat in unison.

If you're in that much pain or if you're really struggling then ask for help. Instead of assuming that everyone around you is a terrible person who doesn't care or want to help. Probably they never even noticed you exist.

I'd always have asked but it shouldn't have to reach the point where someone obviously pregnant, disabled or elderly has to ask. It's basic manners to let someone struggling have a seat. Can't really see the issue there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And you're damn right.

Many moons ago I went to the Czech Republic. While on the bus an elderly woman walked up and started reefing me out of it in Czech. I dont' speak a word of the language, but the meaning was clear 'Get up out of that chair, you young pup, have some common decency'.

Ever since then I have, when I have had need to, asked for a seat if there are none. I will hobble up to someone and say clearly, 'Excuse me. I'm on crutches at the moment, could I have that seat please?'

Funnily enough I see plenty of 'well bred' young people pretending they don't see elderly, infirm, or heavily pregnant people on public transport, but junkie-scrote-looking types will practically force someone they think needs it to take their seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Sadly they don’t feel shame. They can’t relate to anyone but themselves but that goes for a lot of people. I’m convinced it’s the way they were dragged up.

I'm sorry but I find this really rude and offensive towards the younger generation. Not everyone was brought up poorly and is selfish.

jooksavage wrote: »
    Jesus what a f***ed up thread. My wife was pregnant last year. We're both rather shy, retiring types so initially we didn't say anything when people (yes, women too) would cheerfully ignore the pregnant girl standing beside them on tube. But after a while, especially as the bump went from big to huge, we started getting more and more annoyed... initially we'd politely ask for a seat. It got more and more infuriating - I could see people avoiding eye contact, deliberately going out of their way to pretend they couldn't see my poor, encumbered wife. Towards the end of the pregnancy, we'd instinctively pick the person who had made the most obvious attempt to ignore her and she'd tell them bluntly "I need this seat."

I think the badge is a good idea. It might work for people who genuinely haven't noticed the pregnant lady in their carriage or for those who aren't 100% sure if their kind offer won't be rebuffed (it never will!). It probably won't make any difference to the alarming number of complete sh**heads we encountered though.

if you bluntly asked me for my seat you wouldn't get it, just because you decided to have a child does not give you the right to force people to give up their seat, what if you bluntly told someone with a hidden disability you wanted their seat? someone with two prosthetic feet perhaps.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd always have asked but it shouldn't have to reach the point where someone obviously pregnant, disabled or elderly has to ask. It's basic manners to let someone struggling have a seat. Can't really see the issue there.

Absolutely right, people in those circumstances certainly shouldn't have to ask. But if there is a problem which isn't visible then I think people should ask, I know some are more shy than others but as they say, a shy priest never got a parish. Just ask, and if you get a rude answer just from someone then forget they ever existed and ask the next person.

But badges, nope, I'm not in favour.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    if you bluntly asked me for my seat you wouldn't get it, just because you decided to have a child does not give you the right to force people to give up their seat, what if you bluntly told someone with a hidden disability you wanted their seat? someone with two prosthetic feet perhaps.

Then that person could say 'I'm terribly sorry, I have a disability and need to sit', then the pregnant person can ask someone else if no-one has volunteered.

Not everyone decides to have a child. Sometimes it just happens; see other threads in this forum for further discussion. Nevertheless, pregnancy causes all sorts of issues, complications, and stresses (easy dislocations, anyone?) and what you are saying is 'I don't give a toss if you're in physical pain as long as my fat ass gets a nice comfy seat'. You sound like the type of person who would let a door slam in someone's face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There is no force involved, you're perfectly entitled to say no but if the request has been made politely and the person is struggling why would you say no?

kylith wrote: »
    Then that person could say 'I'm terribly sorry, I have a disability and need to sit', then the pregnant person can ask someone else if no-one has volunteered.

Not everyone decides to have a child. Sometimes it just happens; see other threads in this forum for further discussion. Nevertheless, pregnancy causes all sorts of issues, complications, and stresses (easy dislocations, anyone?) and what you are saying is 'I don't give a toss if you're in physical pain as long as my fat ass gets a nice comfy seat'. You sound like the type of person who would let a door slam in someone's face.

You would think being pregnant was a terminal illness or something, like standing for 5 minutes is going to kill them, as someone said earlier pregnant women in africa walk miles with jugs of water on their heads and another baby hanging off them in extreme heat.

if i saw a pregnant woman or elderly person were in need of a seat, I would gladly give them it but if im asked bluntly no chance on principle. some people are in their own world on a train or bus, nothing wrong with that if that makes them happy.

if i saw a pregnant woman or elderly person were in need of a seat, I would gladly give them it but if im asked bluntly no chance on principle.

If someone with a hidden disability bluntly asked you, same story? What are you classing as blunt also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I didn’t realise that I had to narrow it so much to ensure that it was obvious that people the other end of the dart/luas/whatever out of view shouldnt have to check the whole carriage to see who needs a seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I would be the first at to offer my seat if I thought someone needed
    But if someone said it to me it would a firm no. Just on principle

If someone with a hidden disability bluntly asked you, same story? What are you classing as blunt also?

obviously, no one likes being told what to do, it gets you no where to be rude to someone while asking for something from that person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I'm sorry but I find this really rude and offensive towards the younger generation. Not everyone was brought up poorly and is selfish.

I meant to say "that goes for a lot of people of all ages". However, please don't let me stop you being offended. Sure that's the point of the internet it appears. Offended people everywhere as a result of what strangers say on it.

obviously, no one likes being told what to do, it gets you no where to be rude to someone while asking for something from that person.

Ah grand. Just people asking rudely then. Fair enough. A pregnant woman asking politely would be okay, I'm sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No, they wont. You’ll have to prove that you’re pregnant.

Will there be an expiry date on them?

Okay. So a significant portion say "if you need a seat fukc you, I want my seat I'm entitled blah blah".

Then there's the "if you want a seat ask for one" crowd who interpret a badge notifying you of pregnancy or disability as passive aggression.

And finally there's the "I'll gladly give you a seat but NOT if you ask" crowd.

Moral of the story seems to be don't be sick, old, disabled or pregnant basically. Cool cool

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Will there be an expiry date on them?

I'm not sure. I mean, it's a badge. Anyone who wears one whilst not pregnant - what a fucking loser.

• Advertisement

Okay. So a significant portion say "if you need a seat fukc you, I want my seat I'm entitled blah blah".

Then there's the "if you want a seat ask for one" crowd who interpret a badge notifying you of pregnancy or disability as passive aggression.

And finally there's the "I'll gladly give you a seat but NOT if you ask" crowd.

Moral of the story seems to be don't be sick, old, disabled or pregnant basically. Cool cool

moral of the story is also don't be rude and self entitled if you want a seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Do women want equality or not? Why should a man,in this day and age,get up to give a (non pregnant, non older) lady his seat?

I’m a woman and this is what some other women seem to want:
    They want to be treated like childlike severely intellectually restricted creatures in social aspects (if I go out to a bar or a nightclub I don’t need to take any personal responsibility for protecting my own safety by not becoming totally incapacitated by drink or drugs).
    In employment aspects they want to be rewarded for work the same as their male colleagues irregardless of experience ability or sometimes even qualifications , so not equality actually, they want to have an advantage based on gender.
    Sexism in fact.

Ah grand. Just people asking rudely then. Fair enough. A pregnant woman asking politely would be okay, I'm sure?

I think we're getting bogged down in the 'pregnant' issue.

What about people on crutches? Can they get stuffed because it was their own recklessness that got them injured?? Old people can take a hike cos they should have toped themselves before they got so frail they couldn't stand for a long time? Maybe disabled people just shouldn't leave the house?

So if they ask nicely that's ok and you'll give them your seat?

So if they ask nicely that's ok and you'll give them your seat?

100%

I've never in my life been rude to someone on public transport. I've experienced rudeness many times though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m a woman and this is what some other women seem to want:
    They want to be treated like childlike severely intellectually restricted creatures in social aspects (if I go out to a bar or a nightclub I don’t need to take any personal responsibility for protecting my own safety by not becoming totally incapacitated by drink or drugs).
    In employment aspects they want to be rewarded for work the same as their male colleagues irregardless of experience ability or sometimes even qualifications , so not equality actually, they want to have an advantage based on gender.
    Sexism in fact.

Get a grip ffs. A heavily pregnant woman preferring to sit down because she might feel dizzy or in pain (SPD, look it up) is not asking to be treated like a special snowflake. It's common human decency and courtesy, and how people should aim to treat others, regardless of their sex. Same for elderly, disabled or injured people. Somehow it's only pregnant women who bear the brunt of moaning though. Wonder why that is?

Going by this thread, some people have such a chip on their shoulder about women that the thoughts of them even getting a seat on a bus or train over someone else leaves them seething. It's pathetic and a sad indictment of society. I mean, it's a seat on public transport. If that's all you have to get worked up about, well done, you must not have many serious worries in your life.

I've never in my life been rude to someone on public transport. I've experienced rudeness many times though.

I didn't say you were rude to someone on public transport, someone earlier said he bluntly told people on trains he wanted their seat for his pregnant wife.

You're so cool

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

I meant to say "that goes for a lot of people of all ages". However, please don't let me stop you being offended. Sure that's the point of the internet it appears. Offended people everywhere as a result of what strangers say on it.

People are generally offended when posters are as rude and offensive as you come across.

• Advertisement

If anything sums up the pathetic state of modern feminism it is this sad little badge which you must wear if you want someone to let you sit on public transport if you are pregnant.
    Because now that we’ve insisted that we want to be treated no different to men, and men have been beaten into submission and are taking our concerns on board (hurrah) we find that we actually do want to be treated differently.
    And instead of just accepting that there were going to be some drawbacks in this brave new world, some women are going to ask for special treatment by wearing a badge like a small child at a birthday party.
    It’s an absolute joke.

I think we're getting bogged down in the 'pregnant' issue.

What about people on crutches? Can they get stuffed because it was their own recklessness that got them injured?? Old people can take a hike cos they should have toped themselves before they got so frail they couldn't stand for a long time? Maybe disabled people just shouldn't leave the house?

People seem to be taking exception to pregnant women above all those other categories though.

People seem to be taking exception to pregnant women above all those other categories though.

As said upthread, I wonder why that is...

If someone approaches you and politely explains their disability, you would refuse them the seat? If yes, what is your reasoning? What principle are you abiding by in refusing a seat to someone who needs it and politely asks you for yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If anything sums up the pathetic state of modern feminism it is this sad little badge which you must wear if you want someone to let you sit on public transport if you are pregnant.
    Because now that we’ve insisted that we want to be treated no different to men, and men have been beaten into submission and are taking our concerns on board (hurrah) we find that we actually do want to be treated differently.
    And instead of just accepting that there were going to be some drawbacks in this brave new world, some women are going to ask for special treatment by wearing a badge like a small child at a birthday party.
    It’s an absolute joke.

Until males have the capability to become pregnant then in this situation the sexes can never be treated "equally". Do you really need that explaining to you?

If you get angry about pregnant women being offered a seat, but not disabled people then you might want to examine why that is

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Get a grip ffs. A heavily pregnant woman preferring to sit down because she might feel dizzy or in pain (SPD, look it up) is not asking to be treated like a special snowflake. It's common human decency and courtesy, and how people should aim to treat others, regardless of their sex. Same for elderly, disabled or injured people. Somehow it's only pregnant women who bear the brunt of moaning though. Wonder why that is?

Going by this thread, some people have such a chip on their shoulder about women that the thoughts of them even getting a seat on a bus or train over someone else leaves them seething. It's pathetic and a sad indictment of society. I mean, it's a seat on public transport. If that's all you have to get worked up about, well done, you must not have many serious worries in your life.

Old people are not wearing a badge that says “over 65” disabled people are not wearing a badge saying “disabled”
    Can you really not see that repeating “we don’t want special treatment we only want equal rights! Stick your chivalry where the sun don’t shine I can hold the door open for myself!” Quickly followed by “ im pregnant and even though you can’t become pregnant I need special treatment and you must accommodate me” is just ridiculous ?

Old people are not wearing a badge that says “over 65” disabled people are not wearing a badge saying “disabled”
    Can you really not see that repeating “we don’t want special treatment we only want equal rights! Stick your chivalry where the sun don’t shine I can hold the door open for myself!” Quickly followed by “ im pregnant and even though you can’t become pregnant I need special treatment and you must accommodate me” is just ridiculous ?

Nobody is saying that except in your head

How about: I'm pregnant and I'm in a lot of pain because hormones are causing the bones in my pelvis to separate, can I have your seat please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

If someone approaches you and politely explains their disability, you would refuse them the seat? If yes, what is your reasoning? What principle are you abiding by in refusing a seat to someone who needs it and politely asks you for yours?
    That was supposed to be a reply to the post where the poster says they singled out someone and grilled them into moving.
    If someone politely had a quite word then I would obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

It’s an absolute joke.

Whhoosh-thats the sound of "modern feminism" going over your head.
    Its about equality and women supporting women. Not women being treated the same as men and beating men into submission- are you sure you're a woman?
    If you are and are/were able to be pregnant, maintain perfect balance and not suffer any painful side effects from 28lbs of extra baby and fluid then good for you. Not everyone else is as lucky so I'd offer them a seat if I was able to.
    People on public transport are a mix of selfish twats and generous souls, some are happy to watch pregnant women and elderly folk who are unsteady on their pins stand. some are decent folk who offer up their seat.

Advertisement