Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21 Year Old Ross Hanlon missing in Vienna.

Options
  • 22-01-2018 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Just seeing this story now. Ross Hanlon has been missing since early Friday morning in Vienna. He was last seen with his two friends who are also Irish. They were out clubbing and they seem to have become separated.

Family, obviously going through a terrible ordeal have headed over to Vienna. I hope the find him well soon.

http://wien.orf.at/news/stories/2890813/

Translation:
    Still no trace of missing Irish Student

The disappearance of a 21 year old Irish Student has puzzled police in Vienna. The man was last seen in the early hours of Friday morning outside Flex, a local pub. The police have not been able to rub two clues together.

On Sunday, two passers-by who saw the young man with his two pals came forward, reported police spokesman Daniel Fürst. The witnesses were unable to provide any useful information. Their statements shed no light on the current whereabouts of the 21 year old.

The man was still missing on Sunday afternoon. The police will continue to investigate all possible causes of the disappearance. The lake and stream service of the Vienna executive also continued conducting a water search for the student on Sunday with a police boat.

Disappeared while going up onto the Augarten bridge
    The 2 college students who accompanied the 21 year old reported that they were walking onto the Augenarten bridge when they turned around and the young man had suddenly disappeared. The police assume that there was alcohol involved. The Irishman is 1.75 metres tall and was wearing a black T-Shirt and jeans at the time of his disappearance. He was not wearing a winter jacket according to Fürst.

The 21 year old from Athboy travelled to Vienna with 2 friends and they went to "Flex" on Thursday evening. The young men left the bar at around 2:00 am and suddenly the Irish man disappeared. He hasn't be reachable by phone since then. A missing persons report has been filed with the Viennese police. The missing man's brother, girlfriend and father have since travelled to Vienna and are looking for more information via Facebook.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sad to say this but the club is right beside the canal and there is no rail anymore once you go a few metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned more in the media, doesn't seem to be in the spot light, not looking good for the poor lad as he was last spotted walking down towards the water :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

21... the poor lad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its a horrible situation :( Hopefully he is found for his families sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sad to say this but the club is right beside the canal and there is no rail anymore once you go a few metres.
    Not to mention the questionable characters who tend to congregate outside the club selling their wares....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Horrible nightmare for any family. Hope he is found safe and well!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not to mention the questionable characters who tend to congregate outside the club selling their wares....

Questionable alright but I've never seen them actually cause any trouble, would be bad for business I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Any updates? He's been missing over a week now that is a long time. Hoping for the family its all okay

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

It's not looking good for sure. Second poster is mostly correct though. What I find strange is that even if he has been in the river for a few day surely he must show up somewhere by now? They are searching for him with sonar and things.

Also mixed reports about what he is doing in Vienna. Some sources say he is an Erasmus student there and others say he was on a weekend trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

wakka12 wrote: »
    Any updates? He's been missing over a week now that is a long time. Hoping for the family its all okay

friend of a friend type deal but I was told the family viewed cctv footage of him falling into the river. No idea if thats true now. If he did fall in i doubt he would have even been able to scream for help as the water was freezing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Rory28 wrote: »
    friend of a friend type deal but I was told the family viewed cctv footage of him falling into the river. No idea if thats true now. If he did fall in i doubt he would have even been able to scream for help as the water was freezing.

Ah ffs please don't be posting nonsense like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

BillyBobBS wrote: »

fair enough. if a mod wants to remove it please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

BillyBobBS wrote: »

If the witnesses who saw him claimed he was walking behind them on a bridge and then when they looked back he was gone it doesnt seem like nonsense

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Rory28 wrote: »

MOD Please don't speculate abot things like this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Poor young lad. :( It looks like it will be a body recovery operation - that is, if anything is found. The Danube is a big, fast flowing river.

I’ve been to Vianne a few times and been out partying in that area (the “Bermuda Triangle”) and it’s very easy to fall into the Danube canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Is there not rails at the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

sugarman wrote: »

Yeah. Saw that. Sad for the family. However I am happy they found the body and have closure.

Advertisement