Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know anyone with a criminal record?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Personally I've met people who have definitely had criminal records and some who probably had given their line of work but I would say that anyone in my circle of friends or relatives haven't anything more than a traffic violation.

I did however work for Jordan Belfort for a brief stint in New York and knew one or two brokers back then who spent a bit of time inside for fraud and securities violations.

did you attend many dwarf tossing competitions?

the right legal representation is crucial, i approached my court date ,completely convinced I would be cleared and the other guy slammed, didn't go any further than a local muck savage solicitor, only met the rookie barrister the day of court, he was barely shaving and suffered the closest thing to stage fright I've ever seen

I'd a proper criminal solicitor six years later when the guy who assaulted me on my own property ( but got off )decided to falsely accuse me of something, that didn't go to court but I did spend four hours in a cell and two in a Garda interview room ,the corrupt seargent behind that farce is now an inspector but he got nothing out of me that afternoon, confirmed my name, then picked a nice spot on the wall for the next two hours

The second experience could never have happened had I appealed the first one, Guards have more room to make trivial matters an issue if you receive a conviction earlier on

Some of them do it for sport

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the right legal representation is crucial, i approached my court date ,completely convinced I would be cleared and the other guy slammed, didn't go any further than a local muck savage solicitor, only met the rookie barrister the day of court, he was barely shaving and suffered the closest thing to stage fright I've ever seen

Im surprised you didnt get a custodial sentence from the circuit court. It must have been a pretty serious charge to go there.
    I'd a proper criminal solicitor six years later when the guy who assaulted me on my own property ( but got off )decided to falsely accuse me of something, that didn't go to court but I did spend four hours in a cell and two in a Garda interview room ,the corrupt seargent behind that farce is now an inspector but he got nothing out of me that afternoon, confirmed my name, then picked a nice spot on the wall for the next two hours

If it never went to court, what difference did the solicitor make?
    Some of them do it for sport

Ill go one step further, some of them investigate allegations as if its their actual jobs!

I'm no lawyer but why wouldn't defence counsel not present exxonerating evidence that has not been presented by the prosecution.

you would or should present it before trial thus saving everyone the hassle of a trial. You cannot just lump in stuff on the day generally.

FYI, Legal aid can be applied for by rich people. Every single person before the courts can apply.

You can be charged with a crime, you can go to absolutely any solicitor in the entire country and get them to represent you, they can then go to the court and make an application for legal aid.

I will refer you to the Cahir O'Higgins case, he is one of the top legal aid earners in the land. He claimed just under 500 thousand in 2017. hes also a very well respected criminal law solicitor.

"Mr O’Higgins applied for legal aid" (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/solicitor-sent-for-trial-accused-of-theft-and-perverting-course-of-justice-1.4280740)

mick087 wrote: »
    I would disagree that it is not nonsense in that the law is there to protect the rich and poweful.

No i cannot back it up with specific cases.

The justice system as well as the law system needs change.
    I would suggest and the following is only a suggestion not a matter of fact its an idea towards change.

Soilctors and barristers earn a salary in line say with say teachers pay scale.
    Judges maybe on a pay scale like that of a school head.
    We could have 2 seperate bodies ie Prosecution and defence run totaly independant of each other.
    To access this system you could make an appointment to be assesed on earnings.
    If you cannot afford to pay then the sate picks up the tab.
    Then an indepenanant body picks the solictor that will represent you.
    So basicly we dont pick who represents us, an indepenant body would.
    Bring down the wage structure to be in line with a fair wage so the excess can tickle down to all that are involved in law and justice.

Mick, you have no specific cases proving your arguement. You have no personal experience of the system and you have no actual knowledge of how the system works.

Too balance a system YOU claim is unfairly weighted towards the rich you are suggesting removing the ability to select your own solicitor and reducing the money that those solicitors can earn thereby reducing the chances of good, experienced solicitors actually signing up for the scheme. You are also ignoring the fact that career criminals will use the same solicitor all the time, its their solicitor. they know him, they know his history and they know how to fight his battle. The reason they lose usually isnt because they are bad at their jobss, its because he is guilty and the Gardai did theirs.

Perhaps you might consider you are wrong here and listen to those that do know the system and are providing evidence of this?

Im surprised you didnt get a custodial sentence from the circuit court. It must have been a pretty serious charge to go there.

If it never went to court, what difference did the solicitor make?

Ill go one step further, some of them investigate allegations as if its their actual jobs!

where did i say i was ever in the circuit court ?

guards hear a lot of BS stories , in my follow up run in with my former neighbour ( he moved to canada and i now live west of the shannon ) in 2011 , we were both in a shop , i didnt even see the guy but he told the guards i made a throat slit gesture once i left the shop , i didnt even see him but CCTV had us both on camera at each end of the store at the same time , he also told the guards i followed him for seven miles before that , fortunately i travelled twenty miles from an altogether different direction and could prove it

just to clarify seeing as you appear a little confused , i got a conviction in the local district court in 2005 which was struck out after i paid a fine , a guy who bought a property beside me in 2003 , came on to my property , gave me a severe black eye following two punches , i wrestled him to the ground and restrained him , i didnt land a single punch on him , he did however tell the guards that i " pulled a stun gun " on him , my house was searched , guy had friends high up in the force so the guards did everything they could in court to help him out ( we were both summonsed for assaulting each other ) , they claimed our feud was based on this guy buying my uncles house which i had my eye on ( pure hearsay and untrue ) , he also got a doctor to back up his lies in court about the marks on his ears which he claimed were caused by a stun gun , doctor took the stand and all , i was living in monaghan at the time , the sitting judge in that district fifteen years ago was quite possibly the most unfit person to ever be elevated to the judiciary in the history of the state , mad as a box of frogs , he once promised to " blow the head off anyone who ever tresspassed on his property " , made the national news , this was a year after the dingbat cleared a guy who tresspassed onto my property and assaulted me

any appeals court would have overturned my conviction but i foolishly paid the fine and let it go as my hick solicitor advised me to just move on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Mick, you have no specific cases proving your arguement. You have no personal experience of the system and you have no actual knowledge of how the system works.

Too balance a system YOU claim is unfairly weighted towards the rich you are suggesting removing the ability to select your own solicitor and reducing the money that those solicitors can earn thereby reducing the chances of good, experienced solicitors actually signing up for the scheme. You are also ignoring the fact that career criminals will use the same solicitor all the time, its their solicitor. they know him, they know his history and they know how to fight his battle. The reason they lose usually isnt because they are bad at their jobss, its because he is guilty and the Gardai did theirs.

Perhaps you might consider you are wrong here and listen to those that do know the system and are providing evidence of this?

Thank you for not just dismissing

I would say my reform system is totally wrong ridiculous and unworkable.
    I was thinking out the box, thinking out aloud its not to be taken as fact and enforced. You have read it and pointed out i am wrong.On this yes im out my depth and accept im wrong.

Many people within the justice system do an outstanding job some go far and beyond the call of duty this i know and do have experience of such people.

In no way would i want you to think im critical of any Indivirtual working in the legal system because im not.

Yes i would indeed leave reforms to the legal system itself.

At this time my power rich comment to this you have given me food for thought. My mind is not changed but its something i be thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

did you attend many dwarf tossing competitions?

No, thankfully. I was only at the firm for about 6 months. Christmas party was an eye opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Yes, I have one conviction for being in possesion of about £100 worth of Xanax bars, & have one strike out for the same thing being in possesion of about £90 of Valium.

I know a lot of people, I'd say dozens (wont mention names) who have been to prison, usually when they were young (16 -21 range) & for mainly stupid petty things.

But I did know a guy who blew someones head off with a shotgun.

I also got to know pretty well one of the men who were caught by the French costguard on the ship called the Eksund in 1987, that was carrying 100+ tonnes of weapons & explosives from Libya to Ireland, he opened a great little second-hand bookshop in Bray in the 90's that had loads of great Irish History books including lots on Irish Republicanism from 1798 up to the recent Northern guerrilla conflict, and lots of world history books aswell from WW1 & 2, Spanish civil war, French Revolution, Rome, Vietnam war etc... I got to know him pretty well, nice man, his bookshop closed about 2 years ago over health issues, the last couple of times I seen him he had breathing tubes in his nose.

One of my uncles was locked up for robbing a shop in the 1970's when he was about 17/18 over his drug habit which he still has even tho he's close to 60, & he comes from a "good" upper middle class background, his farther (my grandfather) was a Bank manager & his younger brother (my other uncle) is also in a good paying job working in a Bank & was never in trouble with the law.

So I know people from all different backgrounds & classes, ranging from minor & major crimes, who have been in trouble with the law.

• Advertisement

No, thankfully. I was only at the firm for about 6 months. Christmas party was an eye opener.

What do you mean " No Thankfully " ?

where did i say i was ever in the circuit court ?
    You said you had a barrister. They are pretty rare in the district courts. Generally only seen in circuit and above.
    guards hear a lot of BS stories , in my follow up run in with my former neighbour ( he moved to canada and i now live west of the shannon ) in 2011 , we were both in a shop , i didnt even see the guy but he told the guards i made a throat slit gesture once i left the shop , i didnt even see him but CCTV had us both on camera at each end of the store at the same time , he also told the guards i followed him for seven miles before that , fortunately i travelled twenty miles from an altogether different direction and could prove it
    I'm going to make a suggestion, this is not true. There was a hearing and you were foind guilty. If the evidence was so light to convict and CCTV available, this would not have happened.
    just to clarify seeing as you appear a little confused , i got a conviction in the local district court in 2005 which was struck out after i paid a fine , a guy who bought a property beside me in 2003 , came on to my property , gave me a severe black eye following two punches , i wrestled him to the ground and restrained him , i didnt land a single punch on him , he did however tell the guards that i " pulled a stun gun " on him , my house was searched , guy had friends high up in the force so the guards did everything they could in court to help him out ( we were both summonsed for assaulting each other ) , they claimed our feud was based on this guy buying my uncles house which i had my eye on ( pure hearsay and untrue ) , he also got a doctor to back up his lies in court about the marks on his ears which he claimed were caused by a stun gun , doctor took the stand and all , i was living in monaghan at the time , the sitting judge in that district fifteen years ago was quite possibly the most unfit person to ever be elevated to the judiciary in the history of the state , mad as a box of frogs , he once promised to " blow the head off anyone who ever tresspassed on his property " , made the national news , this was a year after the dingbat cleared a guy who tresspassed onto my property and assaulted me
    The doctor was not called by him. He was called by the prosecution. It's completely normal practice in assault cases.

Again, your car was dismissed on payment of a fine, not struck out. If it was stuck out, it wouldn't be on your record.

The Guards were not trying to stitch you up because of friends in high places. Those allegations are nonsense and always have been.

The Guards summoned 2 people to court for assault. Again common in a he said / he said scenario. Evidence was given, the judge found you guilty and not him. Your home was correctly searched for what was supposedly a weapon used in an assault. To not search would have been negligent. I would suggest that If they were stitching you up, a weapon would have been found.

You haven't said anything to suggest a stitch up and indeed have suggested the judge would have been inclined to side with you, not against if he was being biased. Based on how personal views. That's not too say he wasn't mad, there's certainly a few that fit that description.

Any appeals court would have overturned my conviction but i foolishly paid the fine and let it go as my hick solicitor advised me to just move on

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know as I don't know the full details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yeah loads why?

TBH i am not even bothering counting.

I would say a huge % of the population have a criminal record. Maybe like a third of people. Like even a traffic thing.

And before you ask ..no i don't.

You said you had a barrister. They are pretty rare in the district courts. Generally only seen in circuit and above.

I'm going to make a suggestion, this is not true. There was a hearing and you were foind guilty. If the evidence was so light to convict and CCTV available, this would not have happened.

The doctor was not called by him. He was called by the prosecution. It's completely normal practice in assault cases.

Again, your car was dismissed on payment of a fine, not struck out. If it was stuck out, it wouldn't be on your record.

The Guards were not trying to stitch you up because of friends in high places. Those allegations are nonsense and always have been.

The Guards summoned 2 people to court for assault. Again common in a he said / he said scenario. Evidence was given, the judge found you guilty and not him. Your home was correctly searched for what was supposedly a weapon used in an assault. To not search would have been negligent. I would suggest that If they were stitching you up, a weapon would have been found.

You haven't said anything to suggest a stitch up and indeed have suggested the judge would have been inclined to side with you, not against if he was being biased. Based on how personal views. That's not too say he wasn't mad, there's certainly a few that fit that description.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know as I don't know the full details.

Stun guns are illegal, im not friends with anyone in the business of selling them, had the guy who assaulted me told the guards i pulled a kalashnakov on him, would it have been reasonable to search the house for that?

I've no inclination to continue providing information, if you believe im telling lies about either or both incidents set six years apart, that's fine, I'm done correcting youhowever , I've no inclination to win over showboating strangers online

Good day and enjoy being on ignore

Stun guns are illegal, im not friends with anyone in the business of selling them,
    Oh well in that case with it being an illegal object and your assurances that such a thing would never occur or be foound in your property, no search need to conducted.

If only real criminals were as honest as you eh?
    had the guy who assaulted me told the guards i pulled a kalashnakov on him, would it have been reasonable to search the house for that?

stun guns are more common and a cattle prod could be refered to as a stun gun could it not? However, yes a search would be required when you have a man stating a gun was pulled on him AND a doctor telling you that the victim has an injury consistant with such a weapon. Stun guns leave marks afterall.
    I've no inclination to continue providing information, if you believe im telling lies about either or both incidents set six years apart, that's fine, I'm done correcting youhowever , I've no inclination to win over showboating strangers online
    There are errors in your stories. Those errors mixed with allegations that I find unlikely and without evidence supporting them lead me to question your stories. If you dont wish to answer, thats fine. You volunteered the stories in the first place.
    Childish really when I only questioned errors but OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Oh well in that case with it being an illegal object and your assurances that such a thing would never occur or be foound in your property, no search need to conducted.

If only real criminals were as honest as you eh?

stun guns are more common and a cattle prod could be refered to as a stun gun could it not? However, yes a search would be required when you have a man stating a gun was pulled on him AND a doctor telling you that the victim has an injury consistant with such a weapon. Stun guns leave marks afterall.

There are errors in your stories. Those errors mixed with allegations that I find unlikely and without evidence supporting them lead me to question your stories. If you dont wish to answer, thats fine. You volunteered the stories in the first place.

Childish really when I only questioned errors but OK

Have you a criminal record yourself or know anyone with one which is the title of the thread? Your lengthy legal discussions going into minute detail are mind numbingly boring.

• Advertisement

Have you a criminal record yourself or know anyone with one which is the title of the thread? Your lengthy legal discussions going into minute detail are mind numbingly boring.

It's the ,more presumptuousness than you can wave a stick at as well as the endless conclusion jumping, that's even more tedious

Some obviously believe that kind of showboating is impressive

Whatever makes them happy ( or smug) I suppose

If only it were possible to somehow not read them. No, I dont have a conviction unless you are counting a speeding ticket.

It's the ,more presumptuousness than you can wave a stick at, that's most tedious

Some obviously believe that kind of showboating is impressive

Whatever makes them happy ( or smug) I suppose

Theres no showboating, you are making incorrect statements. Im correcting you. Make correct ones and stick to the reality of what actually takes place. if you make allegations of corruption, I will challenge you.

Thought I was on ignore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

If only it were possible to somehow not read them.

Good shout

Advertisement