Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headfort School

Options
  • 10-04-2021 10:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm hoping to hear any feedback anyone has on this primary school in Kells.

We are strongly considering it for our daughter this September, she will be in 5th class. We have already made contact with the school and should be discussing further with the headmaster soon.

It ticks all the right boxes for us, and our daughter would really like to go. We all think it would suit her well. It's an expense of course (day, not boarding) but after calculating the cost of childcare and extra curricular's it's really not much more and we think it's well worth the investment all things considered. We are also not religious, and with no ET school nearby the ethos of Headfort is perfect for our family.

The school very temporarily closed and is back open in the last year so any recent experience since the new reopening would be particularly appreciated, thank you!
    Post edited by byhookorbycrook on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭Deeec

There was a documentary done on the school a few years ago. It seems an ok school in that the children were happy - but I think everyone was a bit 'eccentric' ( in a nice way ). There is no way it would be for me. You should look it up - it may give an insight to whether its for you.

I do know of the school and know a few families that send their kids to the school. I would describe these families as very very wealthy. Most have one parent who also went to the school. You would need a very good income to be on par with these people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

New investors came on board and it reopened soon after closing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Doggos

Deeec wrote: »
    There was a documentary done on the school a few years ago. It seems an ok school in that the children were happy - but I think everyone was a bit 'eccentric' ( in a nice way ). There is no way it would be for me. You should look it up - it may give an insight to whether its for you.

I do know of the school and know a few families that send their kids to the school. I would describe these families as very very wealthy. Most have one parent who also went to the school. You would need a very good income to be on par with these people.

I know, we have watched it! In fact, two of our good friends worked on the film. :)

We have looked into the school as much as possible before our upcoming chat with the headmaster, so was just hoping to hear any personal opinions/experiences!

We actually paid more in fees for creche, ha ha. We're not wealthy by any stretch, but we would prioritise spending on fees for a school that seems to offer such a great looking curriculum, smaller class sizes, and ethos.

New investors came on board and it reopened soon after closing.

Yes it has reopened, so particularly interested to hear if anyone has any experience of the "new" entity as such..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My experiences are not recent , I know some people that boarded there in the 90s and a few people that sent their kids there more recently.
    It is a good school ,what secondary school are you considering? I think that would influence my choice. Are they in national school now? Private secondary school?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My experiences are not recent , I know some people that boarded there in the 90s and a few people that sent their kids there more recently.
    It is a good school ,what secondary school are you considering? I think that would influence my choice. Are they in national school now? Private secondary school?

We are considering Eureka, and it seems to have a great curriculum but we're not enthused on the Catholic ethos. We all are interested the girls only environment though, including our daughter. A non private secondary school in Cavan looks great also-Breifne College, a 25 min drive. Again a Catholic school though, but it may be difficult to get away from that in reality.

We live very near the Cavan/Meath border so the Kells schools are just over 10 mins from us. We would like to consider a private secondary school again, but it seems they're mostly in Dublin (?) and we would be looking at paying day boarder rates or face a long bus commute. Our daughter seems to think it sounds like an adventure to board and very maturely says if it's best for her education she would. But I don't know if I would want to live without my daughter (only child) all week? And would the expense really be worth it?

Yes daughter is in 4th class national school now. We just moved back to Ireland recently so didn't know about Headfort until this year, and searches for local ET schools were fruitless. :-/

Doggos wrote: »
    I know, we have watched it! In fact, two of our good friends worked on the film. :)

We have looked into the school as much as possible before our upcoming chat with the headmaster, so was just hoping to hear any personal opinions/experiences!

We actually paid more in fees for creche, ha ha. We're not wealthy by any stretch, but we would prioritise spending on fees for a school that seems to offer such a great looking curriculum, smaller class sizes, and ethos.

Affording the fees I think is the easy bit. The families I know own large country piles, acres and acres of land, into hunting and pony club - one family in particular still live off the earnings of their grandfather. Likely to buy their child a porche as their first car! - Im talking extremely wealthy ( but nice people ). I suppose the point I am trying to make is that your daughter will be friends with these children - I wouldnt want my child to feel inferior because I cant compete financially with these people ( Im not implying you cant compete financially). On the plus side she would make alot of great contacts that are useful for the future. Also the children that attend Headfort would mostly go on to attend boarding secondary school. You would have to plan for that also. Im just trying to point out that there are also 'social' issues to consider.

Affording the fees I think is the easy bit. The families I know own large country piles, acres and acres of land, into hunting and pony club - one family in particular still live off the earnings of their grandfather. Likely to buy their child a porche as their first car! - Im talking extremely wealthy ( but nice people ). I suppose the point I am trying to make is that your daughter will be friends with these children - I wouldnt want my child to feel inferior because I cant compete financially with these people ( Im not implying you cant compete financially). On the plus side she would make alot of great contacts that are useful for the future. Also the children that attend Headfort would mostly go on to attend boarding secondary school. You would have to plan for that also. Im just trying to point out that there are also 'social' issues to consider.

Appreciate your perspective, and it's something we have considered. We're not 'wealthy' but we're lucky to have a lovely home on some land and we're comfortable - and since we have one child it allows us to provide opportunities we might not be able to if we had two or more young children. I don't know if I can explain it properly, but I don't think we're intimidated by or would feel inferior / need to compete with anyone else. Our daughter is a confident and strong little lady and we think she would fit in and thrive well enough.

Before recently moving back to Ireland, her only school experience was while living abroad and attending elementary school which more closely matched Headfort. Smaller class sizes, big outdoor space, plays/theatre, lab rooms & coding, music teacher/lessons, students and friends from diverse families, and non-religious. It also had a large library with a library resource employee. The biggest competition there if we had stayed for secondary level - high school would have been the "right" clothes, shoes, phone I suppose. The uniform here at least does away with that.

Surely others than the fabulously wealthy send their kids private too though? We can't be the only modest income folks to be/have been considering it. ;)

Doggos wrote: »
    Appreciate your perspective, and it's something we have considered. We're not 'wealthy' but we're lucky to have a lovely home on some land and we're comfortable - and since we have one child it allows us to provide opportunities we might not be able to if we had two or more young children. I don't know if I can explain it properly, but I don't think we're intimidated by or would feel inferior / need to compete with anyone else. Our daughter is a confident and strong little lady and we think she would fit in and thrive well enough.

Before recently moving back to Ireland, her only school experience was while living abroad and attending elementary school which more closely matched Headfort. Smaller class sizes, big outdoor space, plays/theatre, lab rooms & coding, music teacher/lessons, students and friends from diverse families, and non-religious. It also had a large library with a library resource employee. The biggest competition there if we had stayed for secondary level - high school would have been the "right" clothes, shoes, phone I suppose. The uniform here at least does away with that.

Surely others than the fabulously wealthy send their kids private too though? We can't be the only modest income folks to be/have been considering it. ;)

It sounds like you have considered Headfort from every perspective. You are right - there probably is less wealthy people who send their kids to the school. From what you have explained regarding your daughters previous school Headfort could work well for her. It offers alot of extras that are not available in standard Irish primary schools. I really hope it works out well for your family should you decide to enrol her. It is hard making these decisions.

• Advertisement

It sounds like you have considered Headfort from every perspective. You are right - there probably is less wealthy people who send their kids to the school. From what you have explained regarding your daughters previous school Headfort could work well for her. It offers alot of extras that are not available in standard Irish primary schools. I really hope it works out well for your family should you decide to enrol her. It is hard making these decisions.

I think we have... thanks so much for your help and your kind words. It really is hard making these decisions you're right there. Hoping someone has some recent experience with the school but the chances of them seeing this post are probably slim to none! I think after talking to the headmaster hopefully next week that will go a long way. Thanks again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think it would be hard to go from Headfort to a public secondary school. My kids are going through the Norwegian public system at the moment , going back to Ireland would be a serious shock for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I think it would be hard to go from Headfort to a public secondary school. My kids are going through the Norwegian public system at the moment , going back to Ireland would be a serious shock for them!!

I agree. I went to Eureka myself (albeit a good few years ago now) but not many from Headfort would have gone there. Very big socio-economic gap between the two schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leeod101

I know it’s been years since this post but I’d be interested to know how it worked out? I was a run of the mill Irish Catholic kid from the wesht and went there for a couple years, can’t say I had the best experience

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Please don't drag up zombie threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement