Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import/VAT on 2nd Hand Goods

Options
  • 09-04-2021 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭

What is the situation with buying 2nd hand goods, in this case clothing from the UK? Are they liable to the same customs and VAT costs as new items?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

statto25 wrote: »
    What is the situation with buying 2nd hand goods, in this case clothing from the UK? Are they liable to the same customs and VAT costs as new items?

Yes, both are payable on all relevant goods new or used, and not covered by a relief.

But obviously if the goods cost less than new, the value declared should be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

davindub wrote: »
    Yes, both are payable on all relevant goods new or used, and not covered by a relief.

But obviously if the goods cost less than new, the value declared should be less.

Thank you for that. On this occasion they cost more than new so worse off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I am a private seller on eBay and this morning I sold a 2nd hand book there only to find that eBay slapped 20% 'TAX' on the sale. I am not a trader and do not charge VAT so how can this be? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I am a private seller on eBay and this morning I sold a 2nd hand book there only to find that eBay slapped 20% 'TAX' on the sale. I am not a trader and do not charge VAT so how can this be? :confused:

Really a situation like that is why I asked. I collect older trainers so Ebay was my go to location. Was the Tax VAT or import duty?

I had an explanation from the unfortunate buyer in my case - he stated that it is VAT that eBay is collecting for the UK government. He said if something is sold in an auction room the same would apply but he is entirely wrong here as the VAT in an auction room is only charged on the auctioneers commission not the sale price. I will be 'trying' to ring eBay tomorrow to get to the bottom of things and will report back if I have any news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭pummice

Del.Monte wrote: »

did you list on ebay.ie or ebay.co.uk

eBay.co.uk

Advertisement