Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYE Compliance Intervention

Options
  • 30-03-2021 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I have been selected for a PAYE Compliance Intervention for last 4 years.
    I guess it’s because I retrospectively claimed for items that I didn’t know I was entitled too, or rather that my son was entitled to.
    Long story short, I have 30 days to respond.
    Can anyone recommend a good accountant to help me with this?
    Ideally in Lucan in Dublin, if not Dublin County/City.

Jos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

jos_kel wrote: »
    I have been selected for a PAYE Compliance Intervention for last 4 years.
    I guess it’s because I retrospectively claimed for items that I didn’t know I was entitled too, or rather that my son was entitled to.
    Long story short, I have 30 days to respond.
    Can anyone recommend a good accountant to help me with this?
    Ideally in Lucan in Dublin, if not Dublin County/City.

Jos

You shouldn't need an accountant if it's just for claiming credits/reliefs you were entitled to. So long as you understood what you were claiming and that you were entitled to it there shouldn't be any issue. You just have to provide the documents/details requested in relation to the claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭jos_kel

You shouldn't need an accountant if it's just for claiming credits/reliefs you were entitled to. So long as you understood what you were claiming and that you were entitled to it there shouldn't be any issue. You just have to provide the documents/details requested in relation to the claims.

Revenue asking that any expenses relating to physio, Occupational Therapy for my son etc. needs a referral letter from GP.
    I always went private. GP was never involved. I even enquired about this before to revenue but their response was as long as there’s a referral from GP.
    Going to ring GP and ask if he can retrospectively give a referral.
    Is this bizarre?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Revenue asking that any expenses relating to physio, Occupational Therapy for my son etc. needs a referral letter from GP.
    I always went private. GP was never involved. I even enquired about this before to revenue but their response was as long as there’s a referral from GP.
    Going to ring GP and ask if he can retrospectively give a referral.
    Is this bizarre?

No. That's literally part of the terms and conditions of the relief. By claiming the relief you have acknowledged that you have understood the qualifying conditions of the relief.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/health-expenses/what-are-qualifying-expenses.aspx

No. That's literally part of the terms and conditions of the relief. By claiming the relief you have acknowledged that you have understood the qualifying conditions of the relief.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/health-expenses/what-are-qualifying-expenses.aspx

Seems this is a bit of a grey area.
    Have rang both GP and Revenue.
    My son’s diagnosis originated after being highlighted by teacher.
    This lead to Assessments carried out privately. GP was never in loop.
    Revenue case worker said forward all and they will assess based on it.
    GP said to write a supporting letter and he can follow up if necessary.

Another quick question.
    Son has asthma.
    GP would have originally prescribed over the counter allergy tablets.
    This amounts to €10 per month.
    Can this be claimed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It’s a medical expense, so yes, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,572 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Yes- prescription costs can be claimed as part of your health expenses claim. See this page for details of allowable items:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

Another quick question.
    Son has asthma.
    GP would have originally prescribed over the counter allergy tablets.
    This amounts to €10 per month.
    Can this be claimed?

OTC medicine = No

Prescription = Yes

Xander10 wrote: »
    OTC medicine = No

Prescription = Yes

Seriously? Damnit!

Years of claims and I never realised that

Xander10 wrote: »
    OTC medicine = No

Prescription = Yes

So eventhough Son is asthmatic and GP would have recommended its use.
    How is that not a medical expense.
    Similarly son has Developmental Cordination Disorder, we’ve always gone the private route for Assessments.
    GP never in loop. Even he agrees Assessments are a valid medical expense.
    He’s promised to support claim if there is push back from revenue.
    What gives here?
    I think it’s clear what a medical expense is.
    Even lady in Revenue seems to be open to it if I send diagnosis reports.
    Lots of bureaucracy I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

So eventhough Son is asthmatic and GP would have recommended its use.
    How is that not a medical expense.
    Similarly son has Developmental Cordination Disorder, we’ve always gone the private route for Assessments.
    GP never in loop. Even he agrees Assessments are a valid medical expense.
    He’s promised to support claim if there is push back from revenue.
    What gives here?
    I think it’s clear what a medical expense is.
    Even lady in Revenue seems to be open to it if I send diagnosis reports.
    Lots of bureaucracy I think.

Maybe they will allow it by concession. But, a cough bottle is medicine, cannot claim etc. There are exceptions to every rule.

Plus there is a monthly limit for prescriptions, since there is a cap on the amount payable monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Seriously? Damnit!

Years of claims and I never realised that

If you hold a prescription it’s claimable I think. The fact that the product is also available without a prescription is not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    If you hold a prescription it’s claimable I think. The fact that the product is also available without a prescription is not relevant.

If you pay for it via prescription it should be claimable, even if it is otc. But sometimes the same things are more expensive when bought on prescription than not, with dispensing fees. I found it cheaper to buy something OTC with a 10% membership discount than pay full prescription price incl dispensing fee and claim 20% (there wasn't much in it in the end).

Advertisement