Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gastroscopy in A&E?

• 06-04-2021 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I have been suffering for quite a while from the effects of H Pylori. I underwent the triple therapy programme twice but both times failed to work. I wasn't checked after having taken them to see if it went, I was left myself to think it had gone only for the symptoms to persist later on and get worse, then we discovered it never went, wasting more time.

A few months ago I was scheduled to have a gastroscopy to check the stomach and have a biopsy taken, but this hasn't been scheduled until mid july.

I am concerned I have an ulcer and the symptoms are pretty nasty. The thought of going another 4 months with these symptoms isn't appealing, I was wondering if I showed up at A&E would they do a gastroscopy or would I be told that can't be done?

Symptoms of the h pylori/ulcer include bloating and always feeling full (despite not having eaten), severe constipation with black and tarry type stools with bright yellow mucus, nauseous, vomiting blood, very bad breath, excessive belching, regular pain in the abdomen and difficulty swallowing the odd time too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They will not do a gastroscopy in A&E- if they feel it is appropriate, they will forward you to the GI team, who will decide if/when to schedule one, and make the arrangements.

Note: the symptoms you've described could match several different things- its a really bad idea to use Dr. Google, and its a surefire way to completely terrorise yourself.

First stop is your GP- who is the gatekeeper- not A&E, who won't view you as an emergency. Strongly suggest you need to talk to your GP and come up with a coherent plan of action. Presenting yourself at A&E with the symptoms you've listed above, isn't likely to have a satisfactory outcome for you, your GP- or whoever triages you in A&E.

Advertisement