Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior cert school refusal

Options
  • 23-11-2020 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey folks
    I need help my daughter just hates school. Ever since 6th class she is now in junior cert and is already behind in her studies. I have a private tutor coming twice a week to hopefully help with this.
    There is a few in her class who constantly pick on her for getting extra resource and for any reason. We have learnt at the weekend there is a group chat just to solely make fun of her. However no proof of this. The school are not helping me in any way keep saying they have no proof etc. In fact just today when she was returning to her main room after resource and was subject to a few rude comments, she informed the principal who said it’s your own fault for being late to class.
    Her only friend in the school point blank refuses to go to school and now my daughter wants to follow suit.
    Please give any advice you can I’m at my wits end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Would she be willing to do the school work at home?
    There is no legal obligation on her to attend school. There is an obligation to get an education. The authorities lose interest/ have no say after 16 (junior cert done).

If it's not a possibility does she want to consider moving to another school?

No one should have to put up with bullying and definitely not in school but getting those doing it to be corrected or held responsible is something school principals seem reluctant to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Daisy1709

She would love to move schools sadly due to covid and junior cert it doesn’t seem to be an option. I would hate for her to drop out and not sure she would fully commit at home. She’s only 15 too which I sure I would be in trouble for. I really hope that is not going to happen. I know in this day and age there is back doors into all courses in her future but I would just hate that for her.
    I really think bullies should be held more accountable even if they are called in or punished it seems to aggravate them more.
    I am tempted to contact Joe Duffy I wonder could he help in maybe getting her accepted else where?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think this may be better suited in Parenting. This forum is mostly for Junior Cert. students.
    I will move it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Firstly have you approached the school itself about all this?
    Secondly, if things are that bad and no help is forthcoming, then I would consider moving schools.I know your reasons, but the other side of that is that it is her education.She needs to get the best shot at it possible.Have a conversation with her about it too, see what she feels.

shesty wrote: »
    Secondly, if things are that bad and no help is forthcoming, then I would consider moving schools.I know your reasons, but the other side of that is that it is her education.She needs to get the best shot at it possible.Have a conversation with her about it too, see what she feels.

I’ve contacted the school numerous times. They aren’t the most helpful at all. I’ve tried so many times to get a transfer of schools but due to covid and the jc they are not willing to accept.
    My daughter would like nothing more to transfer it’s heartbreaking for her to have to give to that environment every day. I don’t know is it causing more damage I’m at a loss

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Is it a possibility to talk to her and agree that she finishes out the JC there and gives it her best shot, but start researching alternative school options for next year now? It might be enough to get her through to her exams, with hope that things will improve.

I feel for you OP, it is very hard to be dealing with a situation like that and the lack of back-up from the school is horrible.

shesty wrote: »

I’ve contacted the school numerous times. They aren’t the most helpful at all. I’ve tried so many times to get a transfer of schools but due to covid and the jc they are not willing to accept.
    My daughter would like nothing more to transfer it’s heartbreaking for her to have to give to that environment every day. I don’t know is it causing more damage I’m at a loss

Advertisement