Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys for 3-4 year olds

Options
  • 19-11-2020 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭

I’m really struggling settling on something for my twin boys this year. Their birthday and Christmas all come at once. I’ve bought some books and two Aldi toys so far.

Any recommendations for toys your 3-4 year olds really love?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Generic as hell but 3.5 year old boy is getting lego, tractors, jigsaws and books.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

Magna tiles? - i got them for my girls and the 6 year old still plays with them all the time (she builds her own dolls houses with them) - also its the type of toy you can collect and add too with different parts to build other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Lego is a big winner in this house.

The one thing we have that's an absolute godsend is an ikea easel...it has a whiteboard on one side and chalk on the other. Hours spent with the whiteboard, wipe it down start again, repeat. Ikea do markers and eraser , but you can buy whiteboard markers in dealz relatively cheaply. Easel itself was only around 15 euro .... You can also get the paper rolls that attach to the easel ...these weren't very successful here.

Crayons colouring books etc are winners too.

Play doh is another, though I'm not overly gone on it as there's always "bits" on the floor...not so bad now as we've wooden floors but with carpet....also if they put stuff in their mouth,maybe not the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

Dinosaurs, rockets, Lego/ Duplo are all winners here.

Wooden train sets get hours of use.

Same with pretend food, the felt and wooden ones (try IKEA and Aldi/Lidl) go down really well too.

Books and colours are great stocking fillers. If IKEA opens before Christmas their kids arts and crafts stuff is really good. The roll of paper has been a lifesaver. I see too that they have a 3D dinosaur playset that looks pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My three year old loves paw patrol, gets great use out of paw patrol toys.
    I got a toy shop last year, I thought it would get great use, but it never really took off.
    My 3 and 4 year olds are both getting into imaginext too, someone gave us some that their kids were done with and it’s getting played with loads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Highroad12

My 3 year old is getting a kitchen, duplo lego, hot wheels monster trucks as he is mad for cars etc. Also got a car engine from smyths order that he can screw parts on and off as he likes fixing things. A thomas train to add to his vast collection and a couple of other bits.

Do they have a microscooter or Balance bike. My son gets great use out of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

We have balance bikes, IKEA easel, magnatiles, kitchen already. The easel rarely comes out though as one boy needs to be supervised with it. Might try again today when he’s at home. We have a paw patroller as well and they play with that a lot.

Some great ideas so far. Thanks! I might just get some crayola and some Lego or duplo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

A wobbel board? Or a pikler triangle.

https://rainbowkidsboutique.ie/collections/wobbel

Jiminy have a version as well and also have guides based on age. They have some interesting eco friendly stuff I’ve not seen elsewhere

https://jiminy.ie/products/das-brett-bouncy-wooden-balance-board-the-brett

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Now that I think of it, we got him this at his last birthday.

https://www.jojomamanbebe.ie/wooden-table-top-play-kitchen-d9552.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA7939BRBMEiwA-hX5J1rQAJ92w8S2Pade5ppHiLTJtYx5oWMdnQvfInww7xNcMCxH829ZtBoCnrQQAvD_BwE

and we have gotten countless hours of fun out of it. Really good for imagination play etc.

fits wrote: »
    We have balance bikes, IKEA easel, magnatiles, kitchen already. The easel rarely comes out though as one boy needs to be supervised with it. Might try again today when he’s at home. We have a paw patroller as well and they play with that a lot.

Some great ideas so far. Thanks! I might just get some crayola and some Lego or duplo

If they have a paw patroller and like it, my guy is looking for a lookout tower to go with his!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

We have a wooden car/parking garage, it has a working lift and is okayed with by both my 1and 3 year old. They are big car fans and love it. Something similar to this
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiZr8ro95DtAhU5ZxUIHduUDwcQFjABegQIAxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.elc.co.uk%2Fwooden-toys%2FBig-City-Wooden-Garage%2Fp%2F540610&usg=AOvVaw2uEVLwN4i0uIgRBXhDlN5s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Play-doh - My little one loves this. She has lots of moulds for different animals

Schleich animals. Possibly her favourite toy. She especially loves the dinosaurs. They are quite reasonably priced and robust

Drawing materials - She's started to get into drawing so we always have lots of paper and coloured pens to hand

Duplo - She likes playing with this quite a bit

Micro Scooter - My favourite thing that we ever bought her, she loves it

Books - She loves being read to

Wooden train set - Tesco do two versions at a reasonable price. You can add to it with accessories from IKEA as they are compatible. We got her a battery powered train from IKEA and it provided hours and hours of fun, especially when you have two trains running around the track

IKEA Kitchen - We got this last Christmas but it hasn't been a huge success. It was played with a bit but is now largely used to store other toys

jlm29 wrote: »
    If they have a paw patroller and like it, my guy is looking for a lookout tower to go with his!

The price of them though!

(im v stingy parent)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

(im v stingy parent)

One of the best pieces of advice I got was to spend as little as possible when they are young because they will cost you a fortune when they are older! I have a three year old (November birthday) and a 1.5 year old. They have gotten usually one toy each, books and clothes for birthdays and christmas. My three year old is mad for emergency services so he has a couple of uniforms and a doctor kit. We will get him some firefighter bits for christmas.
    They get gifts off other people too so there is no point in overloading them when they don't understand it. We will buy more when they are older but I wouldn't be falling over myself to buy them things unless I knew it was something they really wanted.

Same as yourself. We actually have lots of things in the thread but purchased few ourselves. Some inherited and some were gifts. I hate adding to the mountains of plastic also.

The price of them though!

(im v stingy parent)

There’s a big one for €100, and a smaller one for around €60. The smaller one is the one my guy looked for. I can justify spending the money when I see the stuff being played with endlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

jlm29 wrote: »

FACT

Advertisement