Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Games

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I didn't have time to pop over to the games forum today. Up the walls. :/

Plus, I didn't actually understand this years rules, tbh! :pac:

You still have plenty of time to get involved. Someone scored a minus score so you’re not even last :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Excellent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    You still have plenty of time to get involved. Someone scored a minus score so you’re not even last :pac:

It was me, wasn't it?? I'm too afraid to check now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    It was me, wasn't it?? I'm too afraid to check now :eek:

Nah, you scored 4.8 iirc... the real answer was 24 but your actually trying to guess the median answer given by all the entries, so you've to guess what answer the 'crowd' would give rather than look for the actual legit answer (if that makes sense) That's my understanding of it anyway.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Nah, you scored 4.8 iirc... the real answer was 24 but your actually trying to guess the median answer given by all the entries, so you've to guess what answer the 'crowd' would give rather than look for the actual legit answer (if that makes sense) That's my understanding of it anyway.

Ah, as they say, always real the question carefully! I didn't pick that up with my skim read yesterday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You sir are correct :)

So always guess around the average/middle range as should be close enough to that??

Sorry I'm only on my first coffee!!

So always guess around the average/middle range as should be close enough to that??

Provided everyone else gives answers either side :P

Yeah, basically try & guess what everyone else would say...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

So guys, random question, how much have you all spent on Christmas presents?

Just curious!

Just curious!

I'm saying nothing....

... but deffo a million euros....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just curious!
    ZhMsw8r.gif

I'm watching you :p

Just curious!

One million dollars!!
    sHQ4Khw.jpg

So a millions euros seems to be the average so far :D

ZhMsw8r.gif

I'm watching you :p

Was pure coincidence your honor :)

I'd say that I have spent one million Swiss Francs. >_>

• Advertisement

Or 16 million Schrute Bucks....

81BU1wksDAL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Thats close enough to a million euros to maintain the average...;)

None of you guys guessed a million!!!!!

None of you guys guessed a million!!!!!

Damn, the plan backfired!!! ;)

I did get very bloody close to the real answer but the rest of humanity were miles out so I got a bruuuuutal score.

From now on I'll have my answer, I'll multiply it by a million, then divide it by Pie (mince preferably) then my answer will the the square root of the amount of beer I intend to drink this christmas minus the amount of whiskey I'll drink in milliliters ... it'll probably be a lot closer to what most other folk think!!:D

• Advertisement

Damn, the plan backfired!!! ;)

I did get very bloody close to the real answer but the rest of humanity were miles out so I got a bruuuuutal score.

From now on I'll have my answer, I'll multiply it by a million, then divide it by Pie (mince preferably) then my answer will the the square root of the amount of beer I intend to drink this christmas minus the amount of whiskey I'll drink in milliliters ... it'll probably be a lot closer to what most other folk think!!:D

I got it right, somehow!

My plan is to pick a nice average, middle of road, nothing too wild kind of answer.

I do prefer your method though :)

I'm not mathematical enough to use DvB's method! :D

I got it right, somehow!

My plan is to pick a nice average, middle of road, nothing too wild kind of answer.

I do prefer your method though :)

Its a stab in the dark game, the kind I'm more intrigued by than competitive in. Good fun basically.

BTW, have noticed a good few names from the christmas forum here over on that thread in the games forum, dare I say it, it seems its a kindred forum of sorts! Or is it just this particular game?

I definitely think that the Christmas element of the game helps. :D

BTW, have noticed a good few names from the christmas forum here over on that thread in the games forum, dare I say it, it seems its a kindred forum of sorts! Or is it just this particular game?

No they're good sorts over there too :)

Speaking of which, our friends over at the Forum Games forum are doing a BOARDS BEST CHRISTMAS SONG Tournament. You can PM Necro upto 7 of your favourite Christmas songs and once the nominations close, we then VOTE for our favourite in a head to head knockout tournament. These are always great craic to play in.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058137755

No they're good sorts over there too :)

Speaking of which, our friends over at the Forum Games forum are doing a BOARDS BEST CHRISTMAS SONG Tournament. You can PM Necro upto 7 of your favourite Christmas songs and once the nominations close, we then VOTE for our favourite in a head to head knockout tournament. These are always great craic to play in.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058137755

Yeah already all over that, nominated my top 5 from that earlier thread we had in here a few weeks back :D

@DvB- i see both guessed a million yesterday :)

@DvB- i see both guessed a million yesterday :)

Yeah saw that, great minds think alike:D
    I actually knew the real answer to that one as I'd heard it mentioned on the radio on Monday but just went for what I thought 'most' would think.
    Wasn't to far off in the end...

Wasn't aware an outrageous outlier of an answer could generate a minus score so need to try & play it safe methinks.

Same, in my head i was thinking it was probably higher however stuck to my method of choosing a 'middle of the road' answer as will never be too far away.

• Advertisement

Just saw this mornings question, again, I know the answer to this as it came up in pub quizzes I've been involved in previously.

But what will the masses think!!!!??!?!:confused:

Just saw this mornings question, again, I know the answer to this as it came up in pub quizzes I've been involved in previously.

I'm thinking none! Mainly because American use the term Holidays.

However, no idea what to guess for this one though!!!!

I'm thinking none! Mainly because American use the term Holidays.

However, no idea what to guess for this one though!!!!

More than you think is all I'll say... ;)

More than you think is all I'll say... ;)

Made a right mess of that!

Was sending my answer while working and on the phone and hit an extra 0 :eek:

Made a right mess of that!

Was sending my answer while working and on the phone and hit an extra 0 :eek:

oooh...

Depends though. If it goes from say 2 digits to 3 or 3 digits to 4, well, you could be one of those outliers. I think most folk know its not 'really' a christmas movie so its only mentioned a few times (or is it?) ;)

I suspect I'll end up last in this quiz ultimately:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I went higher than what I thought the answer is.
    I've been thinking I went much too high though :(
    I forgot about the yanks saying Holidays instead of Christmas.

I went higher than what I thought the answer is.
    I've been thinking I went much too high though :(
    I forgot about the yanks saying Holidays instead of Christmas.

But if loads go too high you're laughing so fret not.
    I ended up putting in the real answer & instantly regretted it FWIW as I think the majority will go too high.

oooh...

Depends though. If it goes from say 2 digits to 3 or 3 digits to 4, well, you could be one of those outliers. I think most folk know its not 'really' a christmas movie so its only mentioned a few times (or is it?) ;)

I suspect I'll end up last in this quiz ultimately:D

was from 2 digits to 3 however now i think my answer is way too low!!!

Trust me, it ain't in the hundreds, the real answer anyway! Though what will the others think is the real question. We'll have to wait until later tonight to see though I suspect your mistake may be inspired as I suspect many will give a number in the 100's so you could be grand.

• Advertisement

You can submit a second answer and ask to correct your first one.

You can submit a second answer and ask to correct your first one.

I did, which was kindly accepted.

However I think my first answer might, in hindsight, might have been better!!

I did, which was kindly accepted.

However I think my first answer might, in hindsight, might have been better!!

To be fair you made a typo so its not like you had a change of heart or suchlike.

I've just accepted I'll most likely be getting a minus score on this one:D

I've just accepted I'll most likely be getting a minus score on this one:D

Me too, just will it be single, double or triple figures :eek:

Despite not having a breeze for both questions over the weekend and being in a hurry (so totally guessing on the spot once I'd read the question) managed to avoid a hugely off the charts answer and stay comfortably mid table... can live with that given I haven't a clue what i'm doing :D

Despite not having a breeze for both questions over the weekend and being in a hurry (so totally guessing on the spot once I'd read the question) managed to avoid a hugely off the charts answer and stay comfortably mid table... can live with that given I haven't a clue what i'm doing :D

Were better then my answers.

Hint, I forgot!

• Advertisement

Were better then my answers.

Hint, I forgot!

You'll probably catch up anyway. A couple of decent answers & you're likely to shoot up that table. TBH the top 5 or 6 seem to be untouchable as they seem to gauge the average mood really well despite the questions being so diverse.

I keep making the mistake of actually trying to gauge the correct answer rather than the average so I'm doomed to mediocrity :D

You'll probably catch up anyway. A couple of decent answers & you're likely to shoot up that table. TBH the top 5 or 6 seem to be untouchable as they seem to gauge the average mood really well despite the questions being so diverse.

I keep making the mistake of actually trying to gauge the correct answer rather than the average so I'm doomed to mediocrity :D

Was in a bit of a rush this morning, so took your weekend approach, read the question and replied with the first answer that popped into my mind!

That question today was a hum dinger... if I get within 50,000 of the actual answer I'd be delighted. Suspect I'm going tumbling this evening though...

Just saw the leader board :eek:

I would like to apologies for my woeful performance so far and for dragging down the Christmas forum reputation!!

I will try harder :)

That question today was a hum dinger... if I get within 50,000 of the actual answer I'd be delighted. Suspect I'm going tumbling this evening though...

I'm really nervous already about my answer on this one!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement