Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-isolation & USA

Options
  • 21-11-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

What countries is it possible to self-isolate in prior to entering the USA? I need to enter the States and don’t meet criteria for exemption.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭SweetSand

There are many options (basically no EU, no China and few other countries) but things change all the time so best option is to buy tickets close to flying time. I was checking out Mexico option few weeks ago, Dublin to Cancun via Frankfurt with Lufthansa for the beginning of December was €600 for 2; 2 weeks in Cancun in really nice hotel was very reasonable as well and then direct flight from Cancun to Boston was very cheap as well. You can fly back to Ireland whichever way you want, no restrictions really, as long as the flight is not cancelled. Turkey does seem to be the most feasible option.
    I would only do it if it’s family/ work related travel, numbers are going through the roof and with Thanksgiving and Christmas it’s only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AmericanWorker

Thank you so much to both of you for your help!
    I really appreciate it.
    If I were to stay the 14 days in Turkey, can I enter the states freely without self-isolating there? I need to go to California for work reasons.

Yes, you can travel to California after being in Turkey (other country other than EU + few others) for 14 days. However, right now California does have a 14 day advisory quarantine for anyone travelling from other state/country https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Travel-Advisory.aspx. It is an advisory not a law. What type of visa do you have? I find it strange that you have to travel for work. Most companies have everyone working remotely and right now it’s very hard to justify anyone travelling for work and I don’t know any company right now encouraging work travelling. If you are coming on ESTA and will mention work to immigration officer - you could be deported straight away, as that is certainly not allowed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

What's the political reason behind Turkey being exempted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Limpy wrote: »
    What's the political reason behind Turkey being exempted?

Low number of cases - you'd be amazed how few cases you can have if you don't actually count them.

Many thanks for your replies.
    I have an ESTA visa. The plan is to self-isolate for 14 days in an approved country and enter the States. The purpose is an exam that I must sit to be allowed to practise my trade in the states. I plan on immediately returning to Ireland after the exam. Does an ESTA cover for this?

Are you sure exam is actually happening? What trade are you practicing/hoping to work in US? I guess ESTA does allow you to take the exam but what is next?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I have an ESTA visa. The plan is to self-isolate for 14 days in an approved country and enter the States. The purpose is an exam that I must sit to be allowed to practise my trade in the states. I plan on immediately returning to Ireland after the exam. Does an ESTA cover for this?

ESTA is not a visa, it's a visa waiver travel authorisation. Traveling via an approved country should be ok however, US immigration can still turn you around and refuse entry as entry is at their discretion so it can depend on the official you meet.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

Different states have different quarantine
    Requirements some have none. It changes day by day also which country you come from
    Most states with no quarantine have more covid deaths at Christmas there should be less as the government want people shopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Visa Waiver is no good for visits for the purpose of Education:
    "The holder of an ESTA is not permitted to engage in any work, study or training."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I think you're going to have problems entering the US. You say you don't fall under the category of 'exemptions' but say you have a valid ESTA (are you positive about this as many ESTA's have been rescinded) .

Sitting exams are not considered 'essential' travel and do not come under the ESTA requirements for entry.

If I were in your position, I'd apply for a (B) visa and I'd do it quickly.

For the benefit of other people looking to do the same, I just wanted to reply briefly.
    I had no issues getting into the USA on an ESTA.
    Thank you to those with helpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

For the benefit of other people looking to do the same, I just wanted to reply briefly.
    I had no issues getting into the USA on an ESTA.
    Thank you to those with helpful replies.

Which country did you self isolate in before hand if you don’t mind me asking, or how did you go about it?

Advertisement