Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

I am absolutely clueless with this type of stuff, so hopefully somebody can guide me.

I don't have a degree, but I do have plenty of IT experience. I never did any 3rd level education; I have a few IT certs, but that's it. If I am looking to get a degree, do I need to do a Level 7 course first? What would I need to do after the 1st year?

Previous work experience will help you with an application for a level 7 degree. Apply and mention your experience and willingness to learn and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Oh that's brilliant, I must have misunderstood but I thought they said most wouldnt be released till Aug and would be too late to apply to a second course. Delighted if that is not the case.
    Yes, results out tomorrow 9am :eek:

I'd give UL a few days to update your status with Springboard as having completed your course but it really shouldn't take that long as I'd imagine is common enough for people to want to go for a new course

• Registered Users Posts: 18 inyoup

I'd give UL a few days to update your status with Springboard as having completed your course but it really shouldn't take that long as I'd imagine is common enough for people to want to go for a new course

I asked TU Dublin to update my status on Sunday (by email) and on Monday morning they replied it's marked as complete .. seems simple enough to do

• Registered Users Posts: 9 obscuraprints

It took a while to get unregistered but thankfully in time to apply for another course

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Separate to Sprintboard, I had booked in to do the 'BSc (Hons) Computer Networks and Cloud Infrastructure (Online)' (to be paid for by job) with SligoIT, due to start this Sept.
    They mailed yesterday and advised:
    The BSc Honours in Computer Networks and Cloud Infrastructure is not running online in September 2021. The first half of this course is running online and is springboard funded. This course is called Certificate in Computer Networks and Cloud Infrastructure.

The springboard applications for the Certificate in Computer Networks and Cloud Infrastructure have now opened. Please submit your application as soon as possible.
    If you have previously made an application for a paid place on this course please remove the application.

So that brings me here. :)

Any comments on SligoIT and that Certificate in Computer Networks and Cloud Infrastructure (Online) course?

I might look around at other courses but it needs to be 100% online for me to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

As non-native speaker of English, I wonder how strict is application process where English competency is required? I see for example DCU approves use of the Duolingo English Test - I never did it, may try it just to see how it works, but wonder if anyone had issues with proving English competency while applying for Springboard courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Separate to Sprintboard, I had booked in to do the 'BSc (Hons) Computer Networks and Cloud Infrastructure (Online)' (to be paid for by job) with SligoIT, due to start this Sept.
    They mailed yesterday and advised:

So that brings me here. :)

Any comments on SligoIT and that Certificate in Computer Networks and Cloud Infrastructure (Online) course?

I might look around at other courses but it needs to be 100% online for me to work.

They fill springboard with sh*t courses, what do they mean first half?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

FFVII wrote: »
    They fill springboard with sh*t courses, what do they mean first half?

With Springboard you have to "resubmit" in Semester 2 to make sure they get paid for both Semesters. I say this because I just completed an L6 with AIT and that is exactly what happened. It was just a case of logging in and confirming you're still on the course.

Likely Sligo are saying the 1st Semester is funded and you might have to pay for Semester 2. That sounds mad enough as it is but just going by the fact each Semester is funded separetely by Springboard+ it could be just the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am curious. Out of all the springboard courses I wonder what would give you the most lucrative career.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Am curious. Out of all the springboard courses I wonder what would give you the most lucrative career.

I'm sure it's largely down to the person rather than the course itself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my experience if you do something for monitory reasons you will hate it and struggle to get through it, probably put you off that topic for ever. My suggestion would be to find a course that you're either interested in or already know a lot about and do that, if it's an interesting topic you'll be engaged in it, if it's a topic you already know a lot about you'll sail through it and get a nice qualification out of it at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Just Fyi I rang the free phone no to Springboard to ask a few Qs..got through straight away and most helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's largely down to the person rather than the course itself.
    Clareman wrote: »
    In my experience if you do something for monitory reasons you will hate it and struggle to get through it, probably put you off that topic for ever. My suggestion would be to find a course that you're either interested in or already know a lot about and do that, if it's an interesting topic you'll be engaged in it, if it's a topic you already know a lot about you'll sail through it and get a nice qualification out of it at the end.

Eh, lads it was just a random question born out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Got accepted into one of the courses in SligoIT.

Just have to upload a copy of my payslip or some other evidence that i'm working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Tefral wrote: »
    Got accepted into one of the courses in SligoIT.

Just have to upload a copy of my payslip or some other evidence that i'm working.

Can you say which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭go4it

Can you say which one?

usually the papers needed , to comply with eligibility :

- residency : passport or driver licence
    - work reference : payslip/letter from employer or P60 showing employer name/pps (you can blank out money amounts) ; if you're unemployed , bring DSP letter/papers to confirm you're unemployed and for how long ( i think you need to be 9 months unemployed , to be considered unemployed for this application )

also i think a CV is needed , not sure if that's done on your account on Springboard site or required by Univ. when applying

other things to consider : for non native english speakers : some schools asks for a proof of english level . this varies from in-house tests to recognition of Toefl &Co. - in some technical courses is hard enough with the complicated novelty terminology , so a good grasp of english is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

go4it wrote: »
    usually the papers needed , to comply with eligibility :

- residency : passport or driver licence
    - work reference : payslip/letter from employer or P60 showing employer name/pps (you can blank out money amounts) ; if you're unemployed , bring DSP letter/papers to confirm you're unemployed and for how long ( i think you need to be 9 months unemployed , to be considered unemployed for this application )

also i think a CV is needed , not sure if that's done on your account on Springboard site or required by Univ. when applying

other things to consider : for non native english speakers : some schools asks for a proof of english level . this varies from in-house tests to recognition of Toefl &Co. - in some technical courses is hard enough with the complicated novelty terminology , so a good grasp of english is needed
    Which course i think he meant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Can you say which one?

Mechanical and Electrical Quantity Surveying

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

I got accepted from Sligo IT for med tech quality course. I've also applied for another course in Limerick. Can I accept the Sligo course and then change my mind if I get the other one?

knipper wrote: »
    I got accepted from Sligo IT for med tech quality course. I've also applied for another course in Limerick. Can I accept the Sligo course and then change my mind if I get the other one?

No, accepting one course automatically cancels any other applications you have. This is the huge problem with different courses and colleges having different deadlines, there's no second round so to speak.

You could get an offer that's your second choice and you have to make the decision whether to take it and cancel the application to your first choice or delay the offer and possibly miss out on both. Any offer I have received usually has a short deadline date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭py

knipper wrote: »

No. Once you accept a course, your remaining applications are cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Would appreciate some advice if that's ok (the education forum doesn't seem too busy)

I'm thinking of doing something digital marketing related. I currently have a level 6.

This course interested me - https://springboardcourses.ie/details/9040

Also this course got my attention https://springboardcourses.ie/details/9307 (Is this worth 7k normally?)

Is there any difference in these courses. Apologies for the ignorance

Thanks

Would appreciate some advice if that's ok (the education forum doesn't seem too busy)

I'm thinking of doing something digital marketing related. I currently have a level 6.

Also this course got my attention https://springboardcourses.ie/details/9307 (Is this worth 7k normally?)

Thanks

Solely from looking at the description, one is a level 7 course and the second one is a level 8. Second course is likely to have more content in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How long did it normally take for responses to submissions last year for people?

Amirani wrote: »
    How long did it normally take for responses to submissions last year for people?

I was a month waiting with UL

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Thanks

I have just finished the Level 8 Full-Time Course in this.

I did enjoy it but maybe have a look at another institution (UCD, DCU, TUD etc).

Some modules on the course in DBS were not necessary IMO but others were very interesting.

For my next Springboard course I will be looking for a different course provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

Varied for me. Applied for 3 I think, LYIT was really quick, CCT was a coupe of weeks I think. I accepted one so the other was cancelled but I'd expect most to be a couple of weeks. No harm dropping a mail if you don't hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was a month waiting with UL

I was accepted by UL onto an L7 on Monday so that's 3.5 days so that was quick. Whereas AIT have a deadline of the 19th July and won't tell me until after that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wandering2021

Applied, not sure if I'll be accepted but fingers crossed! Would absolutely love to do this so hoping it comes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Does anyone have any feedback on the MSc in Software Design with Cloud Native Computing from Athlone IT?

Advertisement