Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2019, 20:08   #1
Suckit

NPPR charges over €7000

I am enquiring about NPPR, what is it and does it have to be paid? Can it be disputed? Any advice at all.

Selling a house and she was told that she needed to pay NPPR charges of around €7500 (I don't know the exact figure).

When she queried what it was she was told that it is a charge for €200 per year between the years of 2009 - 2013, so she pointed out the obvious, which is that, that totals to €800.
She was then told that there is a fee for those that didn't pay it on time. So she then told them that had never heard of it, to pay it.

They said that she couldn't have not known about it if she was living in Ireland, as they ran a campaign on the radio, TV, magazines, newspapers, internet and door to door with flyers.

So she is now wondering what options are (house is not sold). Can it be disputed, would they agree to installments, can she pay the €800, could she go to court taking oath that she never heard of it, is it worth the hassle etc.
Advertisement
11-03-2019, 20:13   #2
Simple_Simone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckit View Post
I am enquiring about NPPR, what is it and does it have to be paid? Can it be disputed? Any advice at all.

Selling a house and she was told that she needed to pay NPPR charges of around €7500 (I don't know the exact figure).

When she queried what it was she was told that it is a charge for €200 per year between the years of 2009 - 2013, so she pointed out the obvious, which is that, that totals to €800.
She was then told that there is a fee for those that didn't pay it on time. So she then told them that had never heard of it, to pay it.

They said that she couldn't have not known about it if she was living in Ireland, as they ran a campaign on the radio, TV, magazines, newspapers, internet and door to door with flyers.

So she is now wondering what options are (house is not sold). Can it be disputed, would they agree to installments, can she pay the €800, could she go to court taking oath that she never heard of it, is it worth the hassle etc.
Why not start by searching Boards.ie for NPPR - you'll find loads of threads.

Bottom line is that the Bart Simpson defence won't save her! The best thing for her to do is to contact the Local Authority involved and haggle.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2019, 20:14   #3
L1011

Ignorance is no defense, there is no option to dispute payment on that basis. Full payment will be required to release for sale.

The house was a non-principal residence the entire time (e.g. rental, holiday home) definitely?
Thanks from:
11-03-2019, 20:33   #4
Marcusm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_Simone View Post
Why not start by searching Boards.ie for NPPR - you'll find loads of threads.

Bottom line is that the Bart Simpson defence won't save her! The best thing for her to do is to contact the Local Authority involved and haggle.
Enforcement is now with Revenue. Passed there in 2014, there is no scope for haggling unless the house was demonstrably uninhabitable. The solicitor will not release the funds until proof of payment or clearance is delivered.
11-03-2019, 20:36   #5
ted1

Ignorance is no excuse, as a person charging for services she should of know her liabilities.

Also it’s 1,000

2009 200
2010 200
2011 200
2012 200
2013 200

Total = 1000

Late payments fees here : https://www.nppr.ie/faq.aspx#fk1
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2019, 20:39   #6
snoopsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
Ignorance is no excuse, as a person charging for services she should of know her liabilities.

Also it’s 1,000

2009 200
2010 200
2011 200
2012 200
2013 200

Total = 1000
the penalty fees rise up to 7200 as i recall

the line used at the time for people calling and claiming they didnt know about it was "if it was on fire in the morning youd know about it"
11-03-2019, 20:40   #7
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopsheep View Post
the penalty fees rise up to 7200 as i recall

the line used at the time for people calling and claiming they didnt know about it was "if it was on fire in the morning youd know about it"
I know it’s that I was getting at the op for trying to be smart and saying it’s 800
Thanks from:
11-03-2019, 20:42   #8
splinter65

Quote:

She won’t be able to sell the house till she’s paid the €800 plus late fees and penalties €7500. Legally the sale can’t be completed unless Revenue clear the way. Don’t waste any more money on a solicitor trying to fight it. If you're speculating in property in any way you need to get legal advice about your obligations as well as your rights and entitlements. If you don’t these are the consequences.
Thanks from:
11-03-2019, 20:48   #9
mickdw

No sympathy. I see this catching alot of people however it was heavily advertised at the time but people just didn't bother.
The 200 or 250 per year was a small amount. What they then did was added 20 per month penalty. When this went to second year unpaid, you were paying 40 per month penalty etc.
There was then a period when people were allowed to pay 4k or so to completely discharge the debt and at that stage if you contacted the council there were option for part payment or instalments etc. If you still ignored all, it went to 7k plus and was to be recovered by revenue on sale or transfer of the property.
I believe that it will no longer be collected after a certain date so if you hold the property long enough it will be ok, otherwise it's owed and no way out if selling today.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2019, 21:32   #10
Suckit

Thanks everyone, will pass on the information. I personally had never heard of it either, but I wouldn't have had cause to pay attention to those adverts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
I know it’s that I was getting at the op for trying to be smart and saying it’s 800
I wasn't trying to be smart saying €800. Not even sure how asking in a forum and mentioning €200 less would even be considered trying to be smart.
I had just repeated what she said. It seemed correct to me without thinking too much about it.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2019, 21:34   #11
myshirt

Jesus Christ.

Is this a f*cking wind up?

Get rid of that property and never ever own one again. Ever.

If you haven't a clue what you are doing take professional advice. There's no point even saying anything to you on here. Sweet suffering Jesus.
Thanks from:
11-03-2019, 21:36   #12
Suckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Ignorance is no defense, there is no option to dispute payment on that basis. Full payment will be required to release for sale.

The house was a non-principal residence the entire time (e.g. rental, holiday home) definitely?
I'm not sure about the last bit. I don't think anybody at all was living in it for a while, and I believe she was living in it for around 1½ years during those years, but I would need to double check with her. But almost certain.
11-03-2019, 21:38   #13
L1011

Any years for which you can prove it was the owners PPR can be discounted. However, if they owned other properties at the time that they will later need to claim as their PPR - just don't. CGT liabilities could be generated.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2019, 21:45   #14
4ensic15

Quote:

She could challenge the constitutionality of the penalty. If she succeeds it would only mean paying €800
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2019, 21:50   #15
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ensic15 View Post
She could challenge the constitutionality of the penalty. If she succeeds it would only mean paying €800
And if she fails, be down many more tens of thousands from the process. And have an unsellable house for years.

Useful suggestions are what were wanted I think!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion