Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-01-2019, 19:46   #31
Pussyhands
Banned

I saw prices rose by 12k last year.

Does anyone know how much this is caused by new builds?

A new build will obviously mean higher price. With more new builds, means higher price.
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 19:48   #32
Pussyhands
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyoaty0099 View Post
The abject glee that some seem to be displaying when talking about a recession is really strange. Why would you possibly want a downturn or the economy to do worse? This won't only result in lower property prices. People will lose their jobs etc. Banks won't lend. Companies won't invest. It's not a good thing.
Have 70k in my pocket, I'll get a mortgage.

I want to look after myself like everyone does.
03-01-2019, 20:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussyhands View Post
Have 70k in my pocket, I'll get a mortgage.

I want to look after myself like everyone does.
Congratulations on the deposit that's good saving. But if you're made unemployed you won't be getting a mortgage.
03-01-2019, 20:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstaSte View Post
It depends on your position really. If you already have a house, a stable long term job that won't be directly affected by a US recession, then said recession provides many opportunities, primarily in the stock market.

If you don't have a house and you work for a US multinational in Ireland then yes that's a very different story.
True. Full disclosure here I work for a large US multinational as does my wife. These companies seem to be banking on the economy continuing to grow though. Facebook, LinkedIn, google, Pfizer, alexion, bms, amgen, zendesk, Amazon all have massive expansion plans under way or nearing completion. They obviously don't see a massive storm on the horizon that some others do.
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 20:13   #35
The_Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussyhands View Post
I saw prices rose by 12k last year.

Does anyone know how much this is caused by new builds?

A new build will obviously mean higher price. With more new builds, means higher price.
12k?
I take it you mean national prices rose by 11.5% (Dublin was a more modest 4.8%- unless you were in West Dublin- where they actually fell).

I don't see why a new build necessarily means higher prices (than second hand sales) though? In general- you are not comparing like with like. A lot of the new builds are far smaller than second hand units in similar locations- and while they may have far better BER ratings etc- people are not willing ascribe a comparable value to these attributes- with property its all location-location-location- everything else is secondary.

The reason for ongoing price increases- is even now our supply is not in keeping with demand. Even a tin can will rise in price- if there is a scarcity of tins cans. Its simple supply and demand.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 20:43   #36
smurgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyoaty0099 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstaSte View Post
It depends on your position really. If you already have a house, a stable long term job that won't be directly affected by a US recession, then said recession provides many opportunities, primarily in the stock market.

If you don't have a house and you work for a US multinational in Ireland then yes that's a very different story.
True. Full disclosure here I work for a large US multinational as does my wife. These companies seem to be banking on the economy continuing to grow though. Facebook, LinkedIn, google, Pfizer, alexion, bms, amgen, zendesk, Amazon all have massive expansion plans under way or nearing completion. They obviously don't see a massive storm on the horizon that some others do.
Facebook and LinkedIn lol, talk about over priced.Some of their staff would be lucky to have jobs in the next year.
03-01-2019, 20:59   #37
BBFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurgen View Post
Facebook and LinkedIn lol, talk about over priced.Some of their staff would be lucky to have jobs in the next year.
Facebook definitely is going to be one of those stocks that take a major nosedive in 2019.
03-01-2019, 21:06   #38
smurgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFAN View Post
Quote:
Facebook definitely is going to be one of those stocks that take a major nosedive in 2019.
Users leaving both platforms in droves and failure to monetise coupled with rising costs. Two lame ducks.
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 21:07   #39

Apple be down already.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 21:13   #40
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFAN View Post
Facebook has already nose dived, it's cheap right now
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 21:14   #41

Quote:
LinkedIn currently owned by Microsoft so safe enough there. Facebook itself is shot agreed, but they own WhatsApp and Instagram, both massive platforms in their own right. Luckily Irish property prices don't really track individual US companies stock prices.
03-01-2019, 21:17   #42

Quote:
Users leaving both platforms in droves and failure to monetise coupled with rising costs. Two lame ducks.
A cursory Google indicates that LinkedIn has grown revenues 37% this year. Seems decent growth to me.
(3) thanks from:
04-01-2019, 08:58   #43
Bob24

Quote:
I don’t know ... when I see the amount of crap Facebook has done with regards to privacy and abusing their market position and the fact that not only almost every person I know is still on it, but they are also all heavily relying on WhatsApp, with many on Instagram, I am not sure people care that much and will leave.

Also the network effect is working very well for them. I refused to register on WhatsApp until recently but I eventually felt forced to do so as I was missing out on some things which were only communicated on WhatsApp groups.

Anyway, a discussion for another topic, but to answer another poster, if Irish property prices don’t track stock prices of US multinationals they are still fairly influenced by the presence of multinationals (at least in Dublin, Cork, and possibly Galway).
04-01-2019, 09:27   #44
Bluefoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob24 View Post
I don’t know ... when I see the amount of crap Facebook has done with regards to privacy and abusing their market position and the fact that not only almost every person I know is still on it, but they are also all heavily relying on WhatsApp, with many on Instagram, I am not sure people care that much and will leave.
Your superficial knowledge is fascinating, but you knpow little of the actual workings of the business. your cursory view of the people in you direct circle is charming, but the reality is that facebook is growing massively in growing markets and those markets care little for you're mate in the pub. I think this is a direct example of pub economics.
Thanks from:
04-01-2019, 09:45   #45
Bob24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoam View Post
Your superficial knowledge is fascinating, but you knpow little of the actual workings of the business. your cursory view of the people in you direct circle is charming, but the reality is that facebook is growing massively in growing markets and those markets care little for you're mate in the pub. I think this is a direct example of pub economics.
Condescending answer which also shows the person who wrote it didn’t actuslly read the post they were replying to.

I am precisely saying that I think it is unlikely for people to leave en masse.

Last edited by Bob24; 04-01-2019 at 09:55.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion