Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-10-2018, 12:20   #46
handlemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10000maniacs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
in the end tenants will pay more
But there are restrictions on landlords upping the rent. I think its 4%.
Just sit back and watch
Advertisement
25-10-2018, 12:21   #47
handlemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmilllane View Post
Is there anywhere I can find a list of places the restrictions apply to? I asking about Westport where my parents own an apartment
Westport. .. LOL
25-10-2018, 12:23   #48
JPFabo

Disgraceful....Private sector yet again paying for a public sector mess. Another sticky plaster by the minister who is trying to deflect from his and his governments inactions by making it look like they are doing something. Banning AirBNB Will not make a blind bit of difference, just as the rent pressure zones haven't either. People will continue to advertise their properties on the hundreds of other websites around the world that offer the same service, who is going to police all of these? Nobody! Or more landlords will just sell up and leave the market, for some its a business, if your business isn't making a profit you close it down.
(2) thanks from:
25-10-2018, 12:24   #49
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
The few thousand hotel rooms coming on stream will assist with tourism. Dublin is an expensive destination anyway (with the possible exception of public transport), broke tourists aren't going to be able to do much or contribute to the economy anyway.
I am far from broke, but I don't like staying in hotels, I prefer staying in apartments. I don't make noise or discommode the residents wherever I stay. It's just more government interference in private property rights.
(3) thanks from:
25-10-2018, 12:24   #50
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
Just sit back and watch
+1 , if these properties were making 4-5k a month on airbnb and havent been long term rented in 2-3 years, you'd bet theres a case to put them back on the market for 3500 a month etc..
Advertisement
25-10-2018, 12:34   #51
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by circular flexing View Post
It should lead to either more rentals or more houses appearing for sale on the market. Either result is good. It may lead to more empty properties though, depending on the situation of the owner.
I really doubt it tbh. The status quo at present favours the tennant over and above anything else. Anyone with a property to rent faces high taxation, a very real risk of the their property being trashed, rent payments being withheld or no rent being paid at all and being totally without any legal mechanism to fix any of this or even get rid of bad tennants.

Why in God's name would anyone choose to rent out anything under those conditions?

Airbnb provided those renting with a fairly straighforward means of earning a guanteed income and a means to manage short term tennancies.

In the UK ballifs are involved to help property owners where tennants break their rental agreements etc. In Ireland we have bodies advocating that even bad tennants should refuse to leave properties despite proper notice and even legal action taken.

The whole setup is crazy imo.

Last edited by gozunda; 25-10-2018 at 12:46.
(2) thanks from:
25-10-2018, 12:35   #52
Amirani

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFabo View Post
Disgraceful....Private sector yet again paying for a public sector mess. Another sticky plaster by the minister who is trying to deflect from his and his governments inactions by making it look like they are doing something. Banning AirBNB Will not make a blind bit of difference, just as the rent pressure zones haven't either. People will continue to advertise their properties on the hundreds of other websites around the world that offer the same service, who is going to police all of these?.
The law isn't going to ban/limit AirBnB specifically, it's going to limit short term lets. So your point is moot.
(2) thanks from:
25-10-2018, 12:39   #53
Samuel T. Cogley

Well hopefully the market will have picked up a bit more by June 2019 and Mrs. Cogley will finally agree to sell!
25-10-2018, 12:42   #54
Sheepdish1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeeh View Post
The largest Air bnb host in Barcelona has potential daily rental income at peak season of over 37,000 Euro. They own over 200 flats. The whole holiday rental market has to be regulated, not just because it affects residential rentals but because it affects how communities function, the quality of life of residents and potentially even what amenities are needed.
Imagine saving for apartment to find out apartment next to you is short term let’s all year around. You’re right in how affects how communities function.
Advertisement
25-10-2018, 12:42   #55
runawaybishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
I really doubt it tbh. The status quo at present favours the tennant over and above anything else. Anyone with a property to rent faces high taxation, a very real risk of the their property being trashed, rent paymenys being withheld or no rent being paid at all and being totally without any legal mechanism to fix any of this or even get rid of bad tennants.

Why in God's name would anyone choose to rent out anything under those conditions?

Airbnb provided those renting with a fairly straighforward means of earning a guanteed income and a means to manage short term tennancies.

In the UK ballifs are involved to help property owners where tennants break their rental agreements etc. In Ireland we have bodies advocating that even bad tennants should refuse to leave properties despite proper notice and even legal action taken.

The whole setup is crazy imo.
Agreed, landlords moved to Airbnb due to the issues with renting. I would expect many will not move back or if they do rent will be a hell of a lot higher.

Also rental properties have higher density so if they go for sale it will put even more pressure on the rental market.

More populist nonsense from the minister that will worsen the situation. People should be encouraged, not beaten with regulations.
25-10-2018, 12:44   #56
nullzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Realistically all that is happening is enforcement of pre-existing, long standing planning regulations.
Won't stop property owners who have been making money hand over fist crying over the death of their cash cow.
25-10-2018, 12:47   #57
meeeeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by robp View Post
Sorry it doesn't. Regulation adds to costs and someone real pays a higher price for regulation. It is quite likely all parties pay a higher price down the line landlord, renter and tourist. BTW why is having a daily income of 37,00 relevant?
Regulation is needed if you want some sort of a sustainable residential development so that schools are built and other amenities can be planned and built. If half of estate are turists they won't need a school. As for turists they will be fine. Travel is not basic human need, housing is.

As 37,000 daily income, Air Bnb was intended as small time rentals not commercial enterprise. If locals are pushed out of cities because of short time lettings it will diminish the quality of life for everyone.
25-10-2018, 12:49   #58
GingerLily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirani View Post
Depends on how short term lets are defined really. If you have a place and rent it out for 9 months a year to Dublin college students and then 3 months to foreign students on a working holiday then I can't see this being a problem under proposed legislation.
Anything over 2 weeks isn't considered short term for this legislation, so landlords can rent to college and summer students, provided all tenancies are over 2 weeks
Thanks from:
25-10-2018, 12:56   #59
JPFabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirani View Post
The law isn't going to ban/limit AirBnB specifically, it's going to limit short term lets. So your point is moot.
Its a ban on landlords.....no landlord is going to be issued with a short term letting licence, so its a ban, no two ways about it. The government can spin it how they want.
(3) thanks from:
25-10-2018, 13:02   #60
Spanish Eyes

Perhaps if renting long term was safe and productive for LLs, you know equal rights for tenant and landlord and a contract between both, taxation measures, swift evictions under the law, no overholding, no illegal evictions etc. etc. well then LLs would not have opted for the safer choice of ABB in the first place.

That's probably where the problem lies.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion