Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass shooting in Utrecht

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Jesus Fn Christ what ???

He wasn't involved in any rape, that's just racism and scaremongering, I know this cos all the boards lefties told me so...

Are you hearing voices as literally nobody said that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Sardonicat wrote: »
    BBC news rolling banner STILL stating "multiple shootings in Utrecht " about 1hr after this was officially refuted. Poor show by the BEEB. Expect better from them

3 fatal victims now it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Jesus Fn Christ what ???

He wasn't involved in any rape, that's just racism and scaremongering, I know this cos all the boards lefties told me so...

Strange post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Turkish shooter gokmen tanis
    3 dead & others injured
    Shooting at several locations
    Bbc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jesus Fn Christ what ???

You poor manchild

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So this is a revenge attack for NZ, or something along those lines? Muslim Terrorist on non Muslim targets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

3 dead, 9 injured, 3 of those seriously per CNN from Utrecht mayor

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Inquitus wrote: »
    So this is a revenge attack for NZ, or something along those lines? Muslim Terrorist on non Muslim targets?
    Who suggested that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And here he is insulting a Dutch reporter in 2011 (white shirt)

https://youtu.be/3ZeerZfl20A?t=146

I really wonder sometimes what we, the Dutch did to deserve this kind of vermin being imported in to their country

Who suggested that?

Well a Turkish Muslim goes and shoots a load of non-Muslims on a tram a couple of days after the despicable attack in NZ, seems that that was likely the motivation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

We simply don't know yet. There is a chance it could be a personal revenge attack and not terrorist related. Whatever the reason, 3 people lie dead and 3 more are in a critical condition with 6 others injured. At least 1 gunman is on the loose and the city is on lock down. Once again, death, horror and misery meted out on innocent people by a piss ant full of hate.

inforfun wrote: »
    Witness of it all had the feeling Gogman Tanis was focussing on 1 person, a woman.

https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/ooggetuige-niels-21-hij-schoot-op-die-mensen-die-die-vrouw-hielpen~abd214eb/

Copy\paste link in Google translate, should be at least deliver an English translation easy enough to understand.

Well a Turkish Muslim goes and shoots a load of non-Muslims on a tram a couple of days after the despicable attack in NZ, seems that that was likely the motivation?

You could be right or you could be wrong. Why not wait for the facts to emerge or is that extreme in some way :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

If you actually read the thread you’d be aware there are other possibilities including that he is taking revenge on a woman who accused him of rape.

Right now we don’t know, so maybe hold back on jumping to conclusions.

How do you know all the victims are non-Muslims? Has this information been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Suppose the honest or correct answer at the moment is we don't know.

It has been noted there is possible terrorist motivations, or that the person was actually targetting one person on the tram. Considering the shooting occured on the tram in an area that reportedly has a high muslim population it would be an odd location for a revenge attack in my eyes.

Others reported that the person could have possibly been in court last month for rape accusations too, has not been confirmed by the officials yet however.

It's a case of waiting and seeing before jumping into assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

1641 wrote: »
    Hate filled extremists (ie, inadequates) on all sides are responsible - pumping out their bile and bigotry on internet forums (to feel big, get likes, whatever), while being indifferent to where there words and ideology leads to when turned to murder by the sociopathically inclined. Or maybe not indifferent - more delighted - as violence by any one side leads to more slaughter all round.
    Nobody who posts stuff for likes on the internet is responsible ffs.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's amazing to me that you two just happen to have completely ignored the thread on the NZ shootings. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.
    Did you go through all their posts and the posts they thanked though? People are ignoring this and only posting about the NZ atrocity also, in fairness.

And RocketRacoon didn't say anything unreasonable - they just mentioned likelihood. It's a bit much if people get pounced on for that. Is that gonna stop anti Muslim views? If anything it's gonna compound them.

Ok, granted I am putting 2+2 together and perhaps getting 5, will let this play out in the media, although they are probably even more keen to 2+2 it than me. Terrible sad whatever the motivation, sickening these attacks go on so persistently, thoughts and prayers with all concerned in NZ and Holland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    If you actually read the thread you’d be aware there are other possibilities including that he is taking revenge on a woman who accused him of rape.

Right now we don’t know, so maybe hold back on jumping to conclusions.

Honor killing then

• Advertisement

Reports on social media that he was previously charged with rape are false. Different fella same name. A/c to the reddit feed.

Looks increasingly like terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

Looks like one of the injured victims was a Muslim Woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

What was their motivation for all those attacks prior to Christchuch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

His twitter account from 3 days ago (allegedly, could be fake)
    First name is different, his is Gökmen. Also, the spelling Gökman in the original reports was later corrected.

Alun wrote: »
    First name is different, his is Gökmen. Also, the spelling Gökman in the original reports was later corrected.

There you go, its almost to get a handle on the truth in these situations.

Looks like one of the injured victims was a Muslim Woman.
    Would have been a miracle if there wasnt a muslim injured in that part of Utrecht

• Advertisement

Would have been a miracle if there wasnt a muslim injured in that part of Utrecht

Yea, what some people tend to forget is that Muslims are also killed in these attacks as they are often totally indiscriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I'd say combating this sort of thing world be very difficult. It's surely a mix of genuine grievances, radicalisation as well as a genetic predisposition, such has heightened aggression.

Yea, what some people tend to forget is that Muslims are also killed in these attacks as they are often totally indiscriminate.

Not really why it would have been a miracle.

56,5% non EU foreigners in that part of Utrecht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Honor killing then

That’s not what an honour killing is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Not looking like a terrorist attack now. Saying on Sky News it may have been a domestic dispute and the other people who got shot were trying to help the woman who it appeared, was his target.

The fuc king world has gone mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

Nobody who posts stuff for likes on the internet is responsible ffs..

Those responsible (whatever side) are motivated by an ideology of hate. A lot of these sociopathic haters are self -radicalised - by stuff they read and see on the internet. It didn't just spring up out of nowhere. Plenty of those who read and internalise this hate don't do anything (criminal) with it - just other than spread it further.
    Some post hate just to vent. Some post to feel included. Some post to influene others to their views. Some post to incite. Other than the latter (possibly) none are criminally responsible. That doesn't mean that they have no responsibility. Words are important and powerful.
    The internet didn't invent radicalisation or incitement by words. It just made words more accessible and influencial eveywhere. And more dangerous.

CFlat wrote: »
    Not looking like a terrorist attack now. Saying on Sky News it may have been a domestic dispute and the other people who got shot were trying to help the woman who it appeared, was his target.

The world has gotten small. This kind of stuff would have happened oblivious to us in the past. Small article in newspaper the next day maybe. If it ends up being what you suggest it might be.

CFlat wrote: »

The British media still reporting stuff that has been largely refuted. The guy they interviewed who gave that account took it from social media. Earlier reports from nos say the guy up on a rape charge was in fact a different man with the same name. It's still very unclear and the media are jumping on every unconfirmed rumour and running with it. I won't be updating to this thread anymore for fear of contributing to the rumour frenzy.

RIP to those who died. I wish a full recovery to those injured. Hope the folk of Utrecht can resume a normal life soon when they apprehend this human turd. Many thanks to the posters updating from The NL, stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

True enough, I've stayed in a hotel in Utrecht (The Bastion) a few times, just south of Kanaleiland. To get to or from the hotel to Hoog Catherijn, all the busses and trams pass through that very spot. I did notice a fairly high Muslim population. Not something that's anyway unusual in the Netherlands, I was advised that Kanaleiland was a bad area and made a point of checking the place out(only from the bus window admittedly). The area didn't seem too bad, and I put it down to casual racism from hotel staff insofar as an area with lots of immigrants is automatically a bad neighbourhood. Obviously there are some elements of truth there but I've never seen areas over there that would compare to some of the kips dotted around Dublin or Limerick. I don't want to sound like a leftie, but this kind of thing could happen anywhere at any time. Sadly for the people of Utrecht it was their beautiful city that suffered this tragedy today. If it's confirmed as an Islamic terrorist act then the next one, and there will be a next one, could happen in any major population centre across the world.

Utrecht Police have lifted the stay indoors order.

True enough, I've stayed in a hotel in Utrecht (The Bastion) a few times, just south of Kanaleiland. To get to or from the hotel to Hoog Catherijn, all the busses and trams pass through that very spot. I did notice a fairly high Muslim population. Not something that's anyway unusual in the Netherlands, I was advised that Kanaleiland was a bad area and made a point of checking the place out. The area didn't seem to bad, and I put it down to casual racism from hotel staff insofar as an area with lots of immigrants is automatically a bad neighbourhood. Obviously there are some elements of truth there but I've never seen areas over there that would compare to some of the kips dotted around Dublin or Limerick.

"Our" **** neighbourhoods look better than your **** neighbourhoods but that is only cosmetic.

I sooner walk all by myself in one of the dodgy Dublin neighbourhoods than through the likes of Kanaleneiland, Schilderswijk (The Hague), Spangen -Delfshaven (Rotterdam) or Amsterdam Nieuw-West. The part of Amsterdam that has the nickname 020-Gaza (020 being the area code for Amsterdam).

Some of these places are really not better than the most famous of them all: Brussel's Molenbeek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Another one!

And I was only in Frankfurt in 2010 (which is close enough to Utrecht).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

The honour killing theory doesn't make a lot of sense. They normally do them in private. And not with a gun either.

The honour killing theory doesn't make a lot of sense. They normally do them in private. And not with a gun either.

There is no honour killing theory. ? !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Sardonicat wrote: »
    There is no honour killing theory. ? !

It was mentioned somewhere in the thread, but I don't think at this stage that it's the official police line.

• Advertisement

It was mentioned somewhere in the thread, but I don't think at this stage that it's the official police line.
    The only thing mentioned in the thread as a motive apart from an Islamicist terror attack is a possible revenge attack on an accuser/witness after a court appearance for rape. That would not constitute an honour killing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

True enough, I've stayed in a hotel in Utrecht (The Bastion) a few times, just south of Kanaleiland. To get to or from the hotel to Hoog Catherijn, all the busses and trams pass through that very spot. I did notice a fairly high Muslim population. Not something that's anyway unusual in the Netherlands, I was advised that Kanaleiland was a bad area and made a point of checking the place out(only from the bus window admittedly). The area didn't seem too bad, and I put it down to casual racism from hotel staff insofar as an area with lots of immigrants is automatically a bad neighbourhood. Obviously there are some elements of truth there but I've never seen areas over there that would compare to some of the kips dotted around Dublin or Limerick. I don't want to sound like a leftie, but this kind of thing could happen anywhere at any time. Sadly for the people of Utrecht it was their beautiful city that suffered this tragedy today. If it's confirmed as an Islamic terrorist act then the next one, and there will be a next one, could happen in any major population centre across the world.

Think it's different when you actually live in a place. I was in Utrecht visiting a friend last year and would have thought the same. Was speaking to him today and he mentioned how it was a rough area, I wouldn't have known, but if you're living there and experiencing the city every day then you would have to know. He also lives just down the road from the area too.

Similarly there are areas in Ireland where we'd call them rough or kips and people who visit wouldn't see it or think they're too bad to ones they know better from home. Also for me most of the Dutch I've met have been no nonsense, direct, and come from very multicultural backgrounds. If they were to tell me an area isn't the safest I'd be more inclined to believe it was due to it being true. Even looking up the history of the area shows why locals have the opinion, so I don't think it has much to do with casual racism by locals.

Like most have said, at this point we can only wait and see to find out the motivations to this attack, but like you said it's terrible for the people of Utrecht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dutch journalist saying on RTE that it is far from clear this was a terrorist attack, echoing what Sky News said. The suspect had a long criminal rap sheet, was up on a rape charge and had serious family problems.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Strazdas wrote: »
    Dutch journalist saying on RTE that it is far from clear this was a terrorist attack, echoing what Sky News said. The suspect had a long criminal rap sheet, was up on a rape charge and had serious family problems.
    But reading the thread, it appears the man on rape charges isn't the same man shooting people dead, just shares the same or very similar name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

Strazdas wrote:

Yeah still uncertain but reports suggesting he shot a family member and people jumped in to help.

byte wrote: »
    But reading the thread, it appears the man on rape charges isn't the same man shooting people dead, just shares the same or very similar name.
    That claim that he has been up on a rape charge (amongst other things)* has now been confirmed by Dutch police, as reported by the same news agency that claimed it was a different guy just a few hours ago. This has been happening all day, reports being refuted and the later re-confirmed. The result is different news agencies reporting opposite 'facts' to each other. This is why I think it's best to just wait now for the full picture to emerge and reserve judgement til then.. All this contradiction is letting fear and panic take hold.
    * If true, he does seem to be a serious sh1t stain of an excuse for a person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

was in Utrecht a good deal in my youth, lovely city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I sooner walk all by myself in one of the dodgy Dublin neighbourhoods than through the likes of Kanaleneiland, Schilderswijk (The Hague), Spangen -Delfshaven (Rotterdam) or Amsterdam Nieuw-West. The part of Amsterdam that has the nickname 020-Gaza (020 being the area code for Amsterdam).

Some of these places are really not better than the most famous of them all: Brussel's Molenbeek.

I definitely would rather my chances in the Schilderswijk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

"Our" **** neighbourhoods look better than your **** neighbourhoods but that is only cosmetic.

Who can forget the Isis flags in Den Haag

• Advertisement

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I definitely would rather my chances in the Schilderswijk

Same as that!!!

Advertisement