Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks hates Christmas and Jesus apparently.

Options
  • 09-11-2015 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭

According to this clown in the link anyway. - http://news.sky.com/story/1584329/evangelist-claims-starbucks-hates-jesus

Its nice that he saw it fit to bring his gun with him to get his coffee as well.

This type of stuff doesn't surprise me or not make me laugh. This clown is advocating that people get the Starbucks employees to put "Merry Christmas" on the cup where they write the name as some sort of revolt against them. This has to be the stupidest thingI have seen in a while.

You are GIVING Starbucks your money in order to get "Merry Christmas" written on the cup, the joke is on you for buying the coffee in the first place.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So his protest as to just normally order coffee and give the big corporation money?
    He's not a smart person is he?

He seems pretty clueless,

Looking at google image, previous cups have had zero religions symbols on them
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=starbucks+christmas+cups&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIloXAm6CEyQIVhj0PCh3xCgJC&biw=1301&bih=1235

Unless Jebus made snowmen and made reindeers fly? I don't remember those things in the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nothing about this makes sense.

I found this Buzzed post very amusing. - http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/gargoyles-psychics-starbucks?bffbmain&utm_term=.nhJprX4J3#.xflX4Ex8w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Saw this a few days ago. It is fairly weird. They have a Christmas cup, it just isnt Christmasy enough for some people all of a sudden.

Bit ironic how the everything is too PC crowd act exactly in the same manner as those they give out about.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But, wait a minute. If the protest takes off, and other people start to give their name as "Merry Christmas", how will they know whose coffee is whose? What if you order a double-shot frappucino with extra caramel under the name "Merry Christmas", but when they call out your name and you collect your cup it turns out to be the tepid water with brown grit that another "Merry Christmas" ordered?

This is America, people. I can see arguments over this ending up in the deadly rattle of small-arms fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That's why whenever I go to Starbucks and they ask for my name, I say 'Coffee'. Won't get confused for the merry christmas lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I always give a false name when I order coffee. (I don't want the CIA to know what coffee I drink.) I've discovered that you need to give a reasonably recognisable name (so you don't waste time answering questions like "what?" and "how do you spell that?") but also a reasonably rare name (so you don't end up collecting the coffee order of a perfectly genuine Steve, which gets you back to the small-arms fire problem).

Of course, in order to achieve the object of frustrating the CIA it's necessary to change the name each time, or at least to use names randomly drawn from a fairly long list. "Sherlock" works well, as do "Florence", "McTavish" and "Jasper". "Eric the half a bee" is too long for most coffee cups. "Edward Snowden" positively invites CIA attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You should try the Starbucks Whispers approach where you start off with one false name and whenever they spell it wrong, you have to use that mis-spelled name the next time. Then track all these names by photographing the cups and put it in a clickbait article for people to read in a year's time. People won't believe what #14 was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Gordon wrote: »
    That's why whenever I go to Starbucks and they ask for my name, I say 'Coffee'.
    Do they serve coffee there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Gintonious wrote: »
    Nothing about this makes sense.

It makes perfect sense when you consider that christians have a persecution complex, and anything that feeds into that will have them screaming "Help, we're being oppressed"

Fox news has been doing this for years, Bill O'Reilly drums up all this "War on Christmas" hogwash all the time. It gets them more attention. Is it any wonder that rags like Breitbart would go full steam ahead with stuff like this:

enhanced-27269-1447085551-6.png

• Site Banned Posts: 205 ✭✭Datallus

Well, Starbucks is muck anyways.

Although, they do have those nice frosted chocolate muffins, so there's that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Breitbart is pretty much Fox News or the Daily Mail for millennials nowadays.

Breitbart is pretty much Fox News or the Daily Mail for millennials nowadays.

I actually think they're worse, which is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Links234 wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense when you consider that christians have a persecution complex, and anything that feeds into that will have them screaming "Help, we're being oppressed"

Fox news has been doing this for years, Bill O'Reilly drums up all this "War on Christmas" hogwash all the time. It gets them more attention. Is it any wonder that rags like Breitbart would go full steam ahead with stuff like this:

The saddest part of this is that in some parts of the world there actually is persecution of Christians. Many have been murdered in Egypt, Syria & Iraq over the past few years, the Middle East is losing centuries or even millenia old Christian communities, perhaps for good. Meanwhile in China Christians face strict government control of how they worship. It's hard to get completely reliable reports from North Korea but it appears that Christians (who of course would hold Jesus in higher esteem than Kim Jung Un) are severely repressed in that state.

The "war on Christmas" narrative peddled by American conservatives is worse than mere bullsh1t, it is a slap in the face to those people around the world who are genuinely suffering for their Christian faith.

CNN interviews Josh Feuerstein, one of the "entrepreneurial bigots" behind the campaign - carcrash telly at its best:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Im in 2 minds here, I'm no fan of any religion, but this PC pandering to certain groups - renaming Christmas as holidays, removing cribs etc ... it getting annoying .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where have they been removing cribs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Im in 2 minds here, I'm no fan of any religion, but this PC pandering to certain groups - renaming Christmas as holidays, removing cribs etc ... it getting annoying .

Oh FFS, every year this comes up. Here's the thing. It's not about renaming Christmas as holidays. It's about recognising that the world is made up of more than just Christians. There are other faiths and groups which celebrate holidays in December, Hanukkah being the most obvious example. Saying "Happy Christmas" makes an implicit assumption that the person is a Christian. Saying "Happy Holidays" doesn't.

Besides which, the phrase Happy Holidays has been around since the 1890s and was introduced by Christians, for the most part. Because of the diversity of population in America there are a lot of holidays celebrated around that time including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Kwanzaa, The Epiphany, The feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe etc. Happy holidays is a phrase which encompasses all of these. In some instances it was used as a means to shorten the greeting: "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Oh FFS, every year this comes up. Here's the thing. It's not about renaming Christmas as holidays. It's about recognising that the world is made up of more than just Christians. There are other faiths and groups which celebrate holidays in December, Hanukkah being the most obvious example. Saying "Happy Christmas" makes an implicit assumption that the person is a Christian. Saying "Happy Holidays" doesn't.

Most non Christians in Ireland celebrate Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Besides which, the phrase Happy Holidays has been around since the 1890s and was introduced by Christians, for the most part. Because of the diversity of population in America there are a lot of holidays celebrated around that time including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Kwanzaa, The Epiphany, The feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe etc. Happy holidays is a phrase which encompasses all of these. In some instances it was used as a means to shorten the greeting: "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year".

I always thought this was why and never understood what annoyed people by saying happy holidays, there's multiple holidays around the same time of year and some people celebrate different holidays. Why are people offended by the idea of people celebrating something other than Christmas? Christmas is one of the holidays included!

psinno wrote: »

I'm sure that many do, however, you're missing the point. As The Randy Riverbeast has pointed out, Christmas isn't the only holiday celebrated at that time of year. People celebrate the end of December in almost all cultures and have been doing so since long before there were Christians. So the idea of Happy Christmas as if it was the only holiday at that time, given our increasingly multicultural society, is a bit silly.

• Advertisement

I'm sure that many do, however, you're missing the point. As The Randy Riverbeast has pointed out, Christmas isn't the only holiday celebrated at that time of year. People celebrate the end of December in almost all cultures and have been doing so since long before there were Christians. So the idea of Happy Christmas as if it was the only holiday at that time, given our increasingly multicultural society, is a bit silly.

Multiple holidays are celebrated by different cultures in the same month continuously. That doesn't mean they aren't distinct. Shoe horning them together is silly. Hanukkah isn't at the end of December , it has its own place in its own calender with its own meaning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i 'celebrate' christmas in the sense that i take time off, get drunk a few times, and buy friends and family presents.
    but there's absolutely no religious aspect to my celebrations. so am i truly celebrating the birth of jesus?

i 'celebrate' christmas in the sense that i take time off, get drunk a few times, and buy friends and family presents.
    but there's absolutely no religious aspect to my celebrations. so am i truly celebrating the birth of jesus?

Lots of things in life are multifaceted. No Christmas dinner?

yes, there's no better way of honouring the birth of the baby jesus than eating too much and falling asleep at the table.

Haven't checked, but I'll put money down that for every atheist who wants the word "christmas" be banned, there's fifty christians who think that "christmas" is the only thing that's worth celebrating and that, all things considered, atheists should just be quiet about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Links234 wrote: »

That's offensive

why? you see representations of the crucified jesus on all sorts of things.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wow, is it time for MrPuddings "tired old arguments about Christmas" thread already? I swear it's getting earlier every year.

Next year we'll be hearing about how we're hypocrites for taking a day off in September. It's consumerism gone mad like.

• Advertisement

Multiple holidays are celebrated by different cultures in the same month continuously. That doesn't mean they aren't distinct. Shoe horning them together is silly. Hanukkah isn't at the end of December , it has its own place in its own calender with its own meaning.

Except that you're not shoe horning them together. What you're doing is wishing someone good times whatever holiday they happen to be celebrating. If you meet someone on the street you can be nice to them and wish them a happy time without having to know or assume that they're a Christian. It's pretty straightforward.

The idea that people would get their knickers in a twist because some people are choosing to be nice in a different way to their own is just ludicrous. The important thing here is that people wish each other well, not how they say it.

Advertisement