Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

imo european windstorm forecasting needs to be improved

Options
  • 08-02-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

*note I have a disability that affects my spelling and grammar*
    with the recent windstorms I think the government and the EU are not acting seriously enough towards them and there needs to be improvements. First of all, all weather agencies in EU including met eireann should adopt a better naming system and show them on the forecasts in order for easier tracking and to make it easy for the public to remember which storm is gonna be more severe. Secondly, there should be better study into european windstorms including having planes with scientific weather instruments into the storms like how america does for hurricanes so we can make better judgements on what the storm is going to do next (keep in mind this is would be an EU project and ireland and iceland would be the perfecting launching pad for this operation). Thirdly, we should adopt the saffir Simpson scale used for measuring hurricanes or create our own individual scale or scales for the european windstorms that take into account the strength of winds, precipitation, storm surge, pressure etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

*note I have a disability that affects my spelling and grammar*
    with the recent windstorms I think the government and the EU are not acting seriously enough towards them and there needs to be improvements. First of all, all weather agencies in EU including met eireann should adopt a better naming system and show them on the forecasts in order for easier tracking and to make it easy for the public to remember which storm is gonna be more severe. Secondly, there should be better study into european windstorms including having planes with scientific weather instruments into the storms like how america does for hurricanes so we can make better judgements on what the storm is going to do next (keep in mind this is would be an EU project and ireland and iceland would be the perfecting launching pad for this operation). Thirdly, we should adopt the saffir Simpson scale used for measuring hurricanes or create our own individual scale or scales for the european windstorms that take into account the strength of winds, precipitation, storm surge, pressure etc

Do you have 100 million euro on hand to help out!? :p

Of course all of above would be ideal, but i think we should first focus on the cut backs rather than future gains. Like we now only launch 2 ballons from Valentia when we used to launch 4 a day.

Many many more examples of where we can improve away from your obviously beneficial recommendations.

Advertisement