Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clueless GF wants to buy briefcase for OH

Options
  • 22-05-2019 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

As the title suggests...I want to surprise my bf a briefcase to celebrate his new job! He will be going to a lot of meetings and stuff and will need one. It's a massive achievement that he's worked really hard for! He's not particularly into brands or anything (thank god because I looked on Brown Thomas' website and quickly shot that idea) but does like good quality. He's more preppy than hipster I guess.

I just wondered if there's a particular style trend at the moment - I'm completely clueless...

Budget is around €300 tops as we also have a big holiday in August

All input welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

LolaJJ wrote: »
    As the title suggests...I want to surprise my bf a briefcase to celebrate his new job! He will be going to a lot of meetings and stuff and will need one. It's a massive achievement that he's worked really hard for! He's not particularly into brands or anything (thank god because I looked on Brown Thomas' website and quickly shot that idea) but does like good quality. He's more preppy than hipster I guess.

I just wondered if there's a particular style trend at the moment - I'm completely clueless...

Budget is around €300 tops as we also have a big holiday in August

All input welcome :)

I suppose it'll depend on how much he will have to carry. I have to fit a laptop and some files in mine when going to meetings so I wanted one that was not too small.

I got this one as a present and I am very happy with it.

https://mishnoc.com/the-hulk-leather-briefcase/

I've had it about a year now. It is well made and is holding up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Brilliant idea from yourself.

Before you buy one, try to think practical.

Try to think what he will put in it.

I dont Have anything fancy myself but having enough room is key.

For example in mine I carry

16inch laptop (make sure the width and depth of the case will fit his laptop)

The laptop charger and power bank(backup)

A wireless mouse.

I can also fit in 2 books(if I'm travelling for reading)

paper and pens for work for notes etc.

My phone charger.

A headset with mic for remote working/meetings.

At minimum he will have the laptop but people carry Alot more.

I have the main compartment for the laptop, another similar width compartment for a4 paper, pens etc and then at the front of the case a big pocket for the rest.

I know people who carry a tablet plus a laptop in their cases and wireless keyboards so more width would be required.

Just some food for thought.

More space the better.

You also want it to be protective in the event it falls or being left down on the ground so nothing gets damaged.

Plus you don't want the basic weight to be too heavy as he will be adding to it.

Hope that helps when selecting one.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

Really helpful, thank you!!! I must measure his laptop. That hulk one looks really nice also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Bit of lateral thinking OP:
    I used to use a briefcase a lot. For laptop, notepads, lunch etc etc.
    Then I got a good 'laptop rucksack'. It's padded for a laptop up to 17". It'll fit lots of stuff. Chuck all the work stuff out and use it as a gym / overnight bag. Much more comfortable to carry than a briefcase, and it leaves both hand free.
    It's become the-most used luggage item I own.
    If you pay a bit you can get some quite nice ones.
    Look up 'laptop rucksack' on Amazon to see some.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Hi OP,

Great present and good on you for thinking like this, he will be delighted! Want to second what deandean says regarding the laptop rucksack.

I'm no way hipster but a bit preppy and use a samsonite rucksack/laptop thing. I tend to carry up to 2 laptops and has loads of compartments and protector for laptop, carries my gym gear and use it for nights away.

It's kind of like this but not a million miles away

https://www.samsonite.co.uk/zigo-3-way-shoulder-bag-expandable-l--black/107655-1041.html?cgid=casual_casual-backpacks#prefn1=LAPC&pmin=132.00&prefv1=Yes&start=1&cgid=casual_casual-backpacks

I guess depends if he uses a briefcase currently and exactly what for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement