Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maximum range on one fill?

• 22-05-2019 10:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi all,

last week, nearly 300 miles into a tank of diesel in my 131 520d auto, I decided to try driving more economically and switched it to eco pro to see how far I could drive before I had to refill. This morning I hit 771.2 Miles, or 1241 Km with 6 miles left on the range. I think if I do it from the start I could hit over 800 miles next time. My average MPG wasn't great at only 52.9 MPG so I'm aiming for 55 next time. I've got the advantage of a 70l tank. Still not bad for a big heavy car not built for economy! What's your record?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Current car about 270/280 miles from full to red light :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

823 miles on a 70L tank.

Filled it up with 70.08L after that so wouldn't have gone much further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

E60 520d Auto - got 1,214km from a full tank once (70L tank) so 1,241 is very good going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Averaging just over 1000kms to a tank in the Golf, havnt cracked 1100 yet but it'd be doable with an adjustment towards driving economically, which I dont think I am at the moment.

Used to get max 600kms to a tank in the Civic, driving with economy in mind. It had a smaller tank than the Golf though.

It's nice to have to pull in for fuel less often as i'd never want to pull in on the way to work and it kind of spoiled the trip home too :) gone from filling every 4 days to ever 7 or so which is nice, in terms of less inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

400 km on 50 litres tank of LPG.
    Honda CRV
    Normally I only get 350-380km

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

amcalester wrote: »
    823 miles on a 70L tank.

Filled it up with 70.08L after that so wouldn't have gone much further.

What car?

R.O.R wrote: »
    E60 520d Auto - got 1,214km from a full tank once (70L tank) so 1,241 is very good going.

That's excellent for an E60. I assume it's the later one with the N47 engine and ZF 8 box? My brother had the older M47/6 Speed and I doubt it ever came close to that.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    What car?

Bog standard Insignia 2L.

I reckon 950 miles is doable in the right conditions, but it'd be boring as hell motorway driving below 70mph.

800kms typically in a year old Sorento, not bad for a 2.2 AWD thing that size. Averages 38mpg. I've only ever filled it with 60L, don't go that close to empty so 800kms would be conservative enough range wise.

I'd rarely need to fill more than once a week, it's a moderate pain in the hole even for the few minutes it takes tbh.

Surely quite a few cars average north of 50mpg and have 70l tanks these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

Filled this morning with 46.5 litres of diesel. 1191 km since the last fill. 151 Civic

• Advertisement

F00t13f4n wrote: »
    Filled this morning with 46.5 litres of diesel. 1191 km since the last fill. 151 Civic

That equates to about 72MPG assuming you filled it fully. Very close to the factory claims of 78.

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely quite a few cars average north of 50mpg and have 70l tanks these days?

A lot of the more economical cars tend to have 60L tanks. A standard family car with a 2.0d, 6 speed manual and 70L tank should be able to give impressive returns. I'm just impressed that a big heavy automatic can manage it!

.......... I'm just impressed that a big heavy automatic can manage it!

An auto 520d is well known as being economical......... if you say 52.9mpg isn't / wasn't great are you just impressed by the size of the fuel tank?
    Decent autos are more efficient than manuals for years now.

Augeo wrote: »
    An auto 520d is well known as being economical......... if you say 52.9mpg isn't / wasn't great are you just impressed by the size of the fuel tank?
    Decent autos are more efficient than manuals for years now.

I just think given the way I drove it there is more left to gain, and compared with eco cars it is poor. It is economical for what it is, but it's not exactly a Polo Blue Motion or similar! And yes autos have improved, but it's a traditional auto with a torque converter rather than an automated manual/DSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

650km on a 105 litre tank, only refills about 90 though , about 20mpg average.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Automatic 318, get about 1,200 out of it if I'm just on the motorway using cruise control and EcoPro mode, around town or in traffic would be getting closer to 900

I try, I really do try but I accelerate too hard.

Also would love if my Eco mode did not reset every time I start a journey, should be able to set it as default.

Would probably get north of 700km. In every day driving, closer to 550km. Far and away not the most thirsty car I owned. That's 90% motorway travel.

55l, Audi TT 2.0l 230ps quattro, petrol.

Edit, I once did a trip from Limerick to West Kerry, and averaged 45 MPG, and still did some overtaking, so that works out at approx. 875 per 55l tank.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I notice that there is a HUGE difference when using cruise control to adjust my speed rather than doing it myself with the pedals.

Clareman wrote: »
    I notice that there is a HUGE difference when using cruise control to adjust my speed rather than doing it myself with the pedals.

Is it better or worse? I stopped using cruise in my last car because it tended to mash the peddle on hills and over compensate, burning more juice. Funny thing I've noticed in eco pro is that it holds 7th gear at 100kph instead of changing into 8th when the car is cold.

• Advertisement

Is it better or worse? I stopped using cruise in my last car because it tended to mash the peddle on hills and over compensate, burning more juice. Funny thing I've noticed in eco pro is that it holds 7th gear at 100kph instead of changing into 8th when the car is cold.

A lot better, as in for a round trip from Ennis to Dublin I could have 20/30 km of a difference, I know there's a lot of variables in play and when you're using the cruise control to reduce speed you tend to adjust your speed a lot sooner rather than when you just use the breaks. By default now at this stage I put the car in EcoPro and cruise control mode as soon as I get on the motorway (which is about a mile from my house).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Jaysus this is a depressing thread :o

ciarsd wrote: »
    Jaysus this is a depressing thread :o

Could be worse, could be thank whoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Managed just under 900km on a 70l tank on a 3l 535d F10. That wasn't even economy mode but to be honest, I don't think it'd make a dramatic difference. That was not slow driving either. Shorter spins I just don't bother checking!

Wailin wrote: »
    Managed just under 900km on a 70l tank on a 3l 535d F10. That wasn't even economy mode but to be honest, I don't think it'd make a dramatic difference. That was not slow driving either. Shorter spins I just don't bother checking!

My brother has one and figures it's no worse than his previous 520d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

580 km's to one 50 litre tank.

That would be on a long journey like up to Dublin or some other place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

About 1000kms in a diesel Octavia and about 650kms in a 1.0 petrol Karoq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

1,610 km (just over 1,000 miles on the odometer) in a Peugeot 406 Estate, 2k MY, HDi, average driving but that was mainly long trips. The car regularly exceeds 1300 km on the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

CiniO wrote: »
    400 km on 50 litres tank of LPG.
    Honda CRV
    Normally I only get 350-380km

I get 300-350km out of 45L Still great stuff the auld luppy gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wailin wrote: »
    My brother has one and figures it's no worse than his previous 520d

I get between 800 and 900km out of my 3L TDI Quattro A6 with an 80L tank. 375,000km on her now. Mostly motorway drives but with a bit of urban driving as well that ruins the economy

Had a 06 2L TDI Passat previously that did about 1100km to a tank, so I'm happy enough with the trade off.

The newer C7 generation A6 is apparently better again and less than half the motor tax so when I have to change anyway I'll be better off in that sense too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Hi all,

last week, nearly 300 miles into a tank of diesel in my 131 520d auto, I decided to try driving more economically and switched it to eco pro to see how far I could drive before I had to refill. This morning I hit 771.2 Miles, or 1241 Km with 6 miles left on the range. I think if I do it from the start I could hit over 800 miles next time. My average MPG wasn't great at only 52.9 MPG so I'm aiming for 55 next time. I've got the advantage of a 70l tank. Still not bad for a big heavy car not built for economy! What's your record?

Dave

It's do-able,but very boring.

I much prefer to put it in sport, and push the lever to the side.

I've gotten 1284 from a full tank on a F10 520d.

... The most boring weeks of my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Standing at 1150km will get the 1200 out of her, 19 Skoda superb 2 litre diesel manual. I'll update the amount of litres when I fill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

1280km in a Citroen C5 1.6 with 65l tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

A4 1.4TFSI B9 660km thing is though the tank is 55 litres and the most I ever got into it brimming it was 43 litres and that was driving for a good 40km on the light. So there is something a miss somewhere not really a big deal but does limit the range maybe I should be braver and try drive 100km on the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

~200-250 miles on a 70l tank on my average week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Damien360

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Standing at 1150km will get the 1200 out of her, 19 Skoda superb 2 litre diesel manual. I'll update the amount of litres when I fill it.

1200km if I don't drive on motorways from 2L 150bhp skoda Superb DSG. 65 litre tank.

A week on motorways and I get 1000km or 1100km at a push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

F31 330d, N roads it'll crack 1000km, about 900 motorway.

Stop start traffic kills it which I'm arriving and leaving the office. Normally about 700-750km in that use, auto start/stop is disabled but use Eco around town or in traffic as it's smoother.

60l tank, usually takes 55l when I fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Bit over 800 miles on a full tank, just under 1300km.

2016 skoda superb 2 litre

Best ive ever got is 83 mpg but it wasnt worth the headache. you had to be super anal to get that on a long run . car averages around 60mpg . into 70s on a run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

650km for about 73litres usually 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

870 miles from 70 litres on last tank
    2002 1.9 Awx a6 c5
    just over 55 mpg and she pulls like a pig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

~200-250 miles on a 70l tank on my average week.

I’ll give you 300-425 miles per 100 L tank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Could be worse, could be thank whoring.

Alright there new kid on the block - read my post history for a little bit of context before taking a bit of your own advise above. I didn't think the schools were on holidays already :pac:

ciarsd wrote: »
    Alright there new kid on the block - read my post history for a little bit of context before taking a bit of your own advise above. I didn't think the schools were on holidays already :pac:

Hilarious, right?

Re Post history, I'll take what you post on its own merit if that's alright with you. And you're around long enough to know current iterations does not mean new to Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I nearly did 120km in my leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

over 1200km out of 59litre tank on my old car.
    250 to 300km out of a 41kw battery pack on my new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

Best ever is 694.4km on a tank. 81.66 ltrs to re-fill. Tank is 90l so could have gone a bit further...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Marcusm wrote: »
    I’ll give you 300-425 miles per 100 L tank!

That's good going :D one week I did 36 miles to around 18litres :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That's good going :D one week I did 36 miles to around 18litres :pac:

Have you still got that great dirty-looking V8?? :pac:

My little jigger does ~640 miles per 50l tank fairly consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

With a 50L tank the furthest I've gotten in my 1.0 Golf TSI is 808km, 600km of which was fully loaded with passengers and luggage. That was 6.2L/100km. If I didn't have to overtake so many people driving 80-90kph on the N5 it probably would have been 850km. Usually put 49L in when I fill it.

My previous 5 fills averaged 726km or 6.74L/100km. A full tank lasts me around 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Parapara2017

34KpDZ5.jpg
    BoNNtfW.jpg
    WWWuv8H.jpg
    About 400-450km a tank think it's around 45L.

Best I've got is probably around 9L/100km. Cruising it settles at 7.6L/100km or lower, around town probably around 9-10. Very easy to empty the tank... :P

Worst was something like 30+L/100km, used a full tank in a few laps in a morning session at Mondello...

• Advertisement
Advertisement