Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airport car rental without credit card

• 21-05-2019 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I booked a trip to see family in the south of Spain very last minute. We are going next Tuesday. Flying into Faro airport. I wanted to hire a car as where we are staying is a bit remote etc etc.

I booked a car through RyanAir with FireFly rentals, which are a subsidiary of Hertz. But they seem to require a credit card for taking the deposit, which I don't have.

I have in recent month booked a hire car from enterprise on multiple occasions using my business debit card (I am self employed). My question is, does anyone know of any company that will accept this instead of a credit card like enterprise does? I tried to book enterprise at Faro, but they have nothing available.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

I've used Firefly previously and they were OK with my debit card. I'm not saying they definitely will be OK this time, but it was never a problem for me before. They hold a deposit which is not refunded for about 10 days after the end of the holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

roguey wrote:
    I have in recent month booked a hire car from enterprise on multiple occasions using my business debit card (I am self employed). My question is, does anyone know of any company that will accept this instead of a credit card like enterprise does? I tried to book enterprise at Faro, but they have nothing available.

It's important to differentiate here between booking the rental and paying for it. All car rental companies will accept debit cards if you are making a booking online. The problem arises when you arrive at the desk and have to pay the charge. No form of payment other than a major credit card will be accepted as payment for the rental. This is the norm across the industry so if you intend to hire a car anywhere, either home or abroad, you will need one in your wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's important to differentiate here between booking the rental and paying for it. All car rental companies will accept debit cards if you are making a booking online. The problem arises when you arrive at the desk and have to pay the charge. No form of payment other than a major credit card will be accepted as payment for the rental. This is the norm across the industry so if you intend to hire a car anywhere, either home or abroad, you will need one in your wallet.

I am aware of this, and as I have said, this is not strictly true. Enterprise will accept my business debit card, I am wondering if there are any other companies that will do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

AVIS accept a debit card for both payment and deposit. I use them 3-4 times a year in Spain. Never a problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Had this issue before. Hertz themselves will accept a debit card once you have the required funds in your account to cover the excess. Use them on most trips and the always accept my debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Also, check out CICAR. They are brilliant. You don't need a credit card and they take no deposit. The rate includes all insurance with zero excess.

In mainland Spain they are partnered with Enterprise. So you get an Enterprise car from the Enterprise desk. Have used them quite a bit and they are always great. The last time I used them I booked a focus. I got a Mondeo with about 19km on the clock. Was brand new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Indigo will accept debit cards and are a great crowd to deal with, very competitive rates and you'll be picking your car up from one of the main companies desks at the airport.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

ITDept wrote: »
    I've used Firefly previously and they were OK with my debit card. I'm not saying they definitely will be OK this time, but it was never a problem for me before. They hold a deposit which is not refunded for about 10 days after the end of the holiday.

Thats what enterprise have done with me before. How much do they ask for the deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Utter claptrap. Most companies allow a debit card when paying, but will require a hefty deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

roguey wrote: »
    Thats what enterprise have done with me before. How much do they ask for the deposit?

In my case it's usually between €300 and €500 depending on the car and the duration. As someone posted above, it's probably related to the insurance excess. I've rented several cars with them, and several from other companies and never had any problem, and it was always around the same deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Utter claptrap. Most companies allow a debit card when paying, but will require a hefty deposit.

That is simply untrue. I know from personal experience. Hertz, Avis, Enterprise and the other major companies apply this rule. It's clearly listed in their terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

roguey wrote: »

I was at Hertz Faro a few weeks ago. The people in front of me had this problem. Think it was €2,600 for the car they had booked. They were unaware and ultimately coukdn’t Collect it.

Remember that with a debit card it effectively blocks those funds entirely.

Also, if hiring at Faro, unsure if you need any additional documentation to drive into Spain. I didn’t think about it until I was crossing the bridge heading for Seville and kept my fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

That is simply untrue. I know from personal experience. Hertz, Avis, Enterprise and the other major companies apply this rule. It's clearly listed in their terms and conditions.

I’ve rented from Hertz with a debit card. Same with Avis. Both required that I took out their full insurance though. In the US they did a credit check on me (I have a good us credit history to my name though, so probably won’t apply to many in this forum). I still needed their full insurance as well.

This may or may not apply to Spain, each country has their own rules, but generally if you pay for the car, have a deposit and buy their insurance they’ll be grand (they still take an extra rental day and fuel surcharge as a deposit). You’ll be covered if you total the car etc and that is all they really care about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Do they always need to take a deposit or is it only if you dont cover excess? If you take full insurance do they still block an amount on the card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Ball cocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I've rented from all of the above with debit cards. As long as you have the funds in the account to cover the fee plus deposit, you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the help everyone. It seems like using a debit card as long as I have the deposit amount would be fine.

Unfortunately I've ran into another problem. I have only had my full licence for about 8 months. This hasn't been a problem when renting from Enterprise here, as I am over 25, but they have no cars available in Faro when I arrive and I can't seem to find any other company that will allow me to rent a car without at least 1 year on my licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Plenty of the rental companies allow you to rent on a debit card in spain, but you'll have to take their maximum crazy insurance so expect to pay between 30 and 40 euros a day, whereas if you use a Credit Card you can get for as low as 8-10 euros a day.

Advertisement