Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4+ Berth campers only able to carry 2 people

Options
  • 21-05-2019 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at campers and I've noticed that a lot which are 4 or more berths are only registered to carry 2 or 3 people. Is there a reason why people don't get extra passengers added when they convert from van to camper?

It doesn't look that difficult to add seats, they all come in minibus versions so the extra seats shouldn't be an issue for the manufacture, especially when they will be doing the work to covert from van to camper anyway.

The one thing most have in common is that the seating layout is perpendicular to travel, are there issues with getting passenger seats added perpendicular to travel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

The log book on a lot campers and indeed imports from the days of going to your local office is a work of fiction, I've had vans with zero for gvw, no engine capacity etc. mine camper says 3 seats even though the documentation submitted and accepted by rosslare says 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

The log book on a lot campers and indeed imports from the days of going to your local office is a work of fiction, I've had vans with zero for gvw, no engine capacity etc. mine camper says 3 seats even though the documentation submitted and accepted by rosslare says 6.

You can get that changed, particularly the seats as it may have implications for insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's a different issue. You can see from the campers that the extra seats have no sestbelts so they never even tried.

You will need to fix your VLC because your camper can only legally carry the amount on it. While you might get past a Garda carrying 6 you definitely won't get past a cop outside this country or an RSA inspector.

Advertisement