Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug socket on wall making cracklng noises

Options
  • 13-05-2019 2:28pm

Hi all,

I'll be getting an electrician in to have a look and wont be using the mains socket, however the twin plug socket on wall is making crackling noises and the TV and table lamp etc using the socket are cutting out.

It "seemed" to concide with my replacing the table lamp light bulb with an LED light bulb.

The guy in the shop at the time started talking about how it varied and adapted the electrical current, but I didnt really understand what he was saying.

Pure coincidence?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I would turn that circuit off at the fusebox till you get an electrician in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Bad connection, best bet it to turn it off at the trip switch as it can overheat.
    The bulb will have nothing to do with it, it might have been from you removing a plug or something from that socket.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to the posts above.
    I'll be getting an electrician in to have a look and wont be using the mains socket

Good move. As already stated turn off this circuit at the distribution board until the issue is resolved as this is a fire hazard.
    however the twin plug socket on wall is making crackling noises and the TV and table lamp etc using the socket are cutting out.

The noise is due to an electric arc flashing across a bad connection. Each time this happens it makes and breaks the current.
    It "seemed" to concide with my replacing the table lamp light bulb with an LED light bulb.

Nothing to do with this issue. LED lamps draw less current that the older tungsten filament type, so if anything this would reduce the arching.

Advertisement