Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time with contact lenses

Options
  • 11-05-2019 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently on day 3 of wearing trial contact lenses from specsavers. While I didn't expect my vision to be as sharp as when I wear my glasses, I didn't expect it to be so blurry.

Looking at my phone now and it's moving between what I can only describe as fairly clear and blurry. When I really focus it seems to be ok but simply walking around and it can again be quite blurry.

I have an appointment for tomorrow anyway but thought I'd ask here for an advice/thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Wearandtear

Definitely worth popping back in to make sure they're fitted correctly. If you have astigmatism, this can cause blurring to be more evident with contacts than you would notice with glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

Thanks, the lenses are toric which I believe is for astigmatism but maybe the fitting isn't correct or the prescription, they said on the phone that it can take a few tries which I thought strange on the prescription side but they're the experts. I'll have a better idea tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

This is it wrote:
    Thanks, the lenses are toric which I believe is for astigmatism but maybe the fitting isn't correct or the prescription, they said on the phone that it can take a few tries which I thought strange on the prescription side but they're the experts. I'll have a better idea tomorrow

I had been given the incorrect prescription lenses by specsavers. When corrected, the new lenses were no way as clear as my glasses. I was told this was due to astigmatism, as lenses are not made particularly for this, so they try get it as near as possible. I decided against lenses after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

as some have said, best pop back in and tell them...shouldn't be blurry at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WiseOptician

Lenses will move with each blink and this can result in blurriness with toric lenses.
    Make sure you were your lenses for ann hour or two before your next appointment so the optician sees hiw the lenses are moving when they are settled.
    Small adjustment and you should notice a big improvement with next lenses

• Advertisement

Lenses will move with each blink and this can result in blurriness with toric lenses.
    Make sure you were your lenses for ann hour or two before your next appointment so the optician sees hiw the lenses are moving when they are settled.
    Small adjustment and you should notice a big improvement with next lenses

I wasn't going to wear them to the appointment but I will now, thanks for that!

Took me 10 minutes to get one of them out earlier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

Of course, eyes change with age and all, but they would know that and have advised you accordingly anyway…I have had contacts (with astigmatism) with Specsavers for years and never had an issue…think the astigmatism ones only came out a few years ago...mine are daily disposables which I only wear occasionally…

Went in today and they had a look. It seems that the lenses are moving slightly when I blink so they've ordered a new trial in. Hopefully this does the job. I'm not sure if I'd wear them everyday but I'd love them for football

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WiseOptician

This is it wrote: »
    Went in today and they had a look. It seems that the lenses are moving slightly when I blink so they've ordered a new trial in. Hopefully this does the job. I'm not sure if I'd wear them everyday but I'd love them for football

Takes a bit of patience initially but stick with it and you should have nice clsar consistent vision at next trial

Thought I'd update this. Called in today for a second trial set and after just a few minutes the difference was incredible. I have them in about 3 hours now and there has been little to no blurred vision and they seem much more comfortable, but that would be in my head. Absolutely delighted with them. I'll use the trials over the weekend and make sure they're right and order on Monday if all is good.

Thanks for the responses :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is it wrote: »
    Thought I'd update this. Called in today for a second trial set and after just a few minutes the difference was incredible. I have them in about 3 hours now and there has been little to no blurred vision and they seem much more comfortable, but that would be in my head. Absolutely delighted with them. I'll use the trials over the weekend and make sure they're right and order on Monday if all is good.

Thanks for the responses :)

Good to hear that it worked out. Did they explain what was different second time round?

I'll have to check the prescription on both trial boxes, I'm pretty sure it cahnged from the first to second but their explanation was that some brands fit differently. I will say one thing, they were very good. From the initial check to the 2nd teach and refit etc. Nothing but helpful

Advertisement