Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro D'Italia 2019 - General Thread

Comments

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Sean Kellys grandson

His first grandson I wonder ?...definitely a cyclist I'd say

Not a chance with that DNA :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Not a chance with that DNA :P

Hmm, thinking of a certain cyclocross star's family genetics ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

DNA isn't everything. Jim Corr......

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Open field for this one with no Froome there and INEOS racing with no individual dedicated leader. Simon Yates is back for another crack at it after last years blow up. Past winner Vincenzo NIabbli & Tom Dumoulin will be on the start line

ODDS from Betfair

I,ll try stick up some daily stage previews but if any one else wants to do a few I wont complain.[/QUOTE]

Got Lopez at 12/1 with PP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

For those with Satellite or are close enough to the East Coast, S4C are showing the Giro, in the same way TG4 used to show it, so you can get the visuals if wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I agree ...too British orientated

And also Oral Chennaoui's voice is irritating

I would love to see an Italian rep in the studio and/or a winner like Andy Hampstead or Ryder Hesjedal or Ivan Basso someone with a different view

Jaysus she's the female version of Colin Murray who covered the snooker, another irritating presenter..in the same studio aswell!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I came across this comprehensive preview and ranking of the climbs in the Giro. It's a good read.

https://www.podiumcafe.com/2019/5/9/18535816/the-2019-giro-ditalia-mountains-preview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was talk on the cyclingpodcast last night that they might have to pull the Gavia climb on stage 16 and change it to 2 climbs of the Mortirolo due to snow. Apparently the snow banks by the road are high and the organisers are afraid they might collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

neris wrote: »
    Was talk on the cyclingpodcast last night that they might have to pull the Gavia climb on stage 16 and change it to 2 climbs of the Mortirolo due to snow. Apparently the snow banks by the road are high and the organisers are afraid they might collapse.

Who cares if the organisers collapse :pac:

• Advertisement

From cyclingnews.com
    The passage over the Gavia has been a concern for some time and the Giro d’Italia’s race director Mauro Vegni said that a plan B had been made for the eventuality that the Gavia is not accessible. He did not divulge what that route entailed but said that the previously reported double ascent of the Mortirolo was not a possibility.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/authorities-working-to-clear-gavia-of-snow-ahead-of-giro-ditalia-queen-stage/

I wonder why the double accent of the Mortirolo is not a runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Some lads might be lapped

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Not much interest in todays stage, pan flat boring cycling. At least once today is out of the way the next few stages look really good.

I actually don't really like the high mountain stages.

Usually nothing really happens until the last few kms.

I know you have long range breaks but typically one strong team just rides and gets rid of everyone bar the 4 or 5 strongest team leaders, most lads are hanging on and trying to protect their GC place.

Maybe its for the better in general that no one is capable of doing 200 kms jaunts across 4 big mountains and winning by 7 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Finnrocco wrote: »

I know you have long range breaks but typically one strong team just rides and gets rid of everyone bar the 4 or 5 strongest team leaders, most lads are hanging on and trying to protect their GC place.

Maybe its for the better in general that no one is capable of doing 200 kms jaunts across 4 big mountains and winning by 7 minutes.

Yeah, but Team Idiots aren't anywhere near the GC lead and the other contenders have to break Roglič.

I hope the brief pre-Giro Nibbles-Yates Twitter spat doesn't get in the way of them tag-teaming Roglič. Maybe there will be a mass pile-on from the assembled ranks of young riders with nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

Apparently it would make a long ridiculously tough stage even longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Not looking good for Slovenian cycling. All stemming from that Austrian/German Operation Aderlass. Initially, it was thought the impact on pro cycling would be limited to the Austrian cyclists that were busted, but this news points to a larger doping ring... potentially!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bahrain-meridas-milan-erzen-under-uci-investigation-for-doping-links/

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Not looking good for Slovenian cycling. All stemming from that Austrian/German Operation Aderlass. Initially, it was thought the impact on pro cycling would be limited to the Austrian cyclists that were busted, but this news points to a larger doping ring... potentially!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bahrain-meridas-milan-erzen-under-uci-investigation-for-doping-links/

Not good for Bahrain, they already have a DS and rider suspended as part of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,173 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Conor Dunne's tour diary... sounds like the hotel from hell.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/conor-dunnes-giro-ditalia-diary-of-the-fiveandahalf-hour-stage-fourandahalf-of-that-was-a-cafe-ride-38139529.html

With mould on the walls, holes in the bedclothes and a severe lack of toilet paper, our post-apocalyptic overnight dormitory was the kind of place you'd have second thoughts sheltering in if it was the only building standing in a storm. Thankfully, there was no restaurant and we had to go next door for dinner...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I know it sounds like a bit of a tired cliche but I'd say you'd enjoy going for a few pints with Conor

• Advertisement

Gavias out for Tuesday and new route
    The Passo Gavia has been removed from Tuesday’s queen stage of the Giro d'Italia to Ponte di Legno, with race director Mauro Vegni confirming that the risk of further snow, avalanches and ice-covered roads made it too risky to cover the highest climb of this year's race

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-passo-gavia-removed-due-to-avalanche-threat/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Where are the stage threads for yday or today? Or were there any??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

retalivity wrote: »
    Where are the stage threads for yday or today? Or were there any??

Here's yesterday's. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057983172

Feel free to set up today's

Here's yesterday's. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057983172

Feel free to set up today's

That was Fridays stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

DELETED

DELETED

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Spoilers, no matter how minor in the relevant stage threads.

Finnrocco wrote: »

I actually love the high mountain stages, loads of things happen from the first kms.

Guess when there's no team controlling the race you get more lads giving it a go.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

D7isQnnU8AEeUue.jpg:large
    The Night's Watch choose a new form of transport to defend the Wall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

velo.2010 wrote: »
    D7isQnnU8AEeUue.jpg:large
    The Night's Watch choose a new form of transport to defend the Wall!

:D

Brilliant Velo !!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

https://video.eurosport.nl/wielrennen/giro-d-italia/2019/de-fietswissel-van-roglic-beelden-van-binnen-de-ploegwagen-na-de-plaspauze_vid1201929/video.shtml

In car footage from the Jumbo Visma car after they stopped for a nature break and then got word of Roglic mechanical. Also shows the sticky bottle that earned Roglic a 200CHF fine

cunavalos wrote: »
    https://video.eurosport.nl/wielrennen/giro-d-italia/2019/de-fietswissel-van-roglic-beelden-van-binnen-de-ploegwagen-na-de-plaspauze_vid1201929/video.shtml

In car footage from the Jumbo Visma car after they stopped for a nature break and then got word of Roglic mechanical. Also shows the sticky bottle that earned Roglic a 200CHF fine

I think he should have got a time penalty... 20 seconds maybe.
    I'm actually surprised he didn't, considering it's Italy and they ideally want Nibbles to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think he should have got a time penalty... 20 seconds maybe.
    I'm actually surprised he didn't, considering it's Italy and they ideally want Nibbles to win.

UCI comms make the decision not the race organisers. Gotta hope that they can make decisions independent of the country that they are in. That said, when I saw it, I was expecting a time penalty.

They had it easy in 2014 vs 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nafisjedriel

I think it'll be Nibali, Yates, Roglic top 3 at the end but not necessarily in the that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I think it'll be Nibali, Yates, Roglic top 3 at the end but not necessarily in the that order.

Cant stand Yates, smug, arrogant, annoying Brit, the type you meet on ski holidays who loves to tell you how good they are.

First Grand Tour I've watched a bit of in years, its actually been enjoyable, probably mainly due to Sky/whatever they are called now being a non factor in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

terrydel wrote: »
    Cant stand Yates, smug, arrogant, annoying Brit, the type you meet on ski holidays who loves to tell you how good they are.

First Grand Tour I've watched a bit of in years, its actually been enjoyable, probably mainly due to Sky/whatever they are called now being a non factor in it.

Christ, what did I just read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

...meet on ski holidays ....

You mean the type of people that like to tell you that they go on ski holidays?

Ah, I think you're being a bit harsh on him. I think he was on the wind up at the start and it backfired. I don't mind a little bit of banter. I thought Nibali was funny inviting Roglic around to look at his trophies.
    Up til Yates fell apart within touching distance of the finish in the Giro last year he came across as one of the most humble, honest guys in the peleton. He was almost too nice. When he went for the Vuelta he put up a far tougher front and held his nerve to claim the win so I'd say he was just trying the same here. Tom Dumolin did almost the same after his mugging at the Vuelta and came back much more cynical.
    Amateur psychologist in me thinks he was the skinny lad who punched way above his weight and pulled the local stunner only to have his heart broken when she left him on his prom night to go off with the local jock. That's the kind of thing that'll change your outlook.

Just thinking it's been a shocking bad Giro for Dimension Data. Have they even been in a break???

Just thinking it's been a shocking bad Giro for Dimension Data. Have they even been in a break???

Listening to the cycling podcast from yesterday and one caller mentioned how bad they were. You'd nearly forget they were in the race or even existed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Any chance we can just have another Giro in July instead of the Golly Gosh, G Wizz crap that i'm expecting to see and hear.
    Brilliant race and excellent stage again today and that's been with Yates been out of form and Tommy D out after stage 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

• Advertisement

I think they mentioned him either today or Sunday and not being easy having to 90kg over the stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

Just caught the highlights of today's stage. The conditions on the Mortirolo looked fairly brutal. It's hard to see Roglic not losing more time over the next few days, although tomorrow's stage isn't that bad. Maybe he can recover in time for Friday and Saturdays stages. He'd need to take the most of a minute back off Carapaz before the TT, can't see it happening

Rumours going around last 2 days that Carapaz is off to the Man City of cycling next year. Going to be a very crowded GT roster when theres only 3 GTs and 5 or 6 GT leaders

Lots of stuff going round about a flotillas of motorbikes ahead of Nibali group, was surprised how the Roglic group made no inroads on them.

Dunbar is going well, 22nd overall.

You would wonder what he should do - sit up, lose 40 minutes and have an easy day with the sprinters then go up road next day, try win stage?

Or should he keep riding with the front group as long as he can, and stay up in the Top 25 ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement