Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo Alvarez v Danny Jacobs - May 4th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

8-4 Canelo for me, thought he started/finished the fight excellently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Could be a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

115-113 Canelo for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Well that seems all were in agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Froch talking through his hole again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

blade1 wrote: »

He contradicts himself every second sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭blade1

lbc2019 wrote: »
    He contradicts himself every second sentence

Yeah but he fought in Wembley in front of 80'000 people, don't you know?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭normanoffside

blade1 wrote: »

At one point Canelo was backing up Canelo.

Right result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

The news that Jacobs had gone up above the agreed 170 beforehand was telling. This is unprofessional and he rightly had to pay a big fine. Thought he played right into Canelo's hands early by being gunshy and Canelo was brushing off jabs and with his superior slipping and head movement was in control.

Half way through Canelo looked so comfortable and Jacobs looked lost but to be fair he seemed to wake up a wee bit changing stance but those early inactive rounds were going to cost him. In sports it is always the measure of a Champion when they can win by not being at their best.

Otherwise I am a fan of Jacobs given his out of ring struggles and he comes across as a genuine nice guy but is this holding him back? I saw him hold his own against GGG and again on saturday but it just looks like he never TRULY believed he could win these fights. Maybe this is harsh and he just is not at those levels. Why the slow start in the biggest fight of his life? He made no mention of a rematch either.

Kudos to fans staying up for this as it only started at 5am at home! Interesting numbers from DAZN with 1.2 million subscribers which surpassed the two purses.

Also after they interviewed GGG who bizarrely had a Russian translator there. Think the two Canelo fights have done the same mental damage as Kovalev's two fights with Ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,647 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SHOVELLER wrote:
    Also after they interviewed GGG who bizarrely had a Russian translator there. Think the two Canelo fights have done the same mental damage as Kovalev's two fights with Ward.
    Those two fights damaged the sport with their corrupt results. I'm never watching a big fight with Golden Boy promotions involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Perhaps after what happened with Pirog, Jacobs is reluctant to take big risks at the highest level? Canelo seemed to tire a bit in the later rounds, but still finished well. Having said all that Jacobs landed one shot that would have put most fighters to sleep. Canelo demonstrated again what a great chin he has.

Looking to the future, If smith could take Canelo's power, maybe he will have a chance but i think Canelo will be just too slick for him. If Canelo moved up and faced Bivol that would be interesting. Although i think he would want such fight at a catchweight.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Those two fights damaged the sport with their corrupt results. I'm never watching a big fight with Golden Boy promotions involved.

Well first one for sure yes.

Perhaps after what happened with Pirog, Jacobs is reluctant to take big risks at the highest level? Canelo seemed to tired a bit in the later rounds, but finished well. Having said all that Jacobs landed one shot that would have put most fighters to sleep. Canelo demonstrated again what a great chin he has.

Looking to the future, If smith could take Canelo's power, maybe he will have a chance but i think Canelo will be just too slick for him. If Canelo moved up and faced Bivol that would be interesting. Although i think he would want such fight at a catchweight.

Talk of him fighting Kovalev too but realistically it has to be Andrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    kudos to fans staying up for this as it only started at 5am at home! Interesting numbers from DAZN with 1.2 million subscribers which surpassed the two purses.
    1.2 million worldwide subscribers. Lot of talk about how good a number that is but sounds like they're failing to me. Fight would've done close to 1 million buys at $100 a buy if it'd been on HBO PPV etc. Instead it's done 600k in the States at $20 a buy. The promotion was horrible and the broadcast with Brian Kenny and Mora even worse. Can't see them sticking around too long unless something drastic changes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

I had no issue with either result.

I appreciate I'm in the minority on the first fight, but there are an awful lot of boxing people everywhere who thought Canelo won the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,647 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

megadodge wrote:
    I appreciate I'm in the minority on the first fight, but there are an awful lot of boxing people everywhere who thought Canelo won the second.
    There was two I heard call it a draw, everybody else called it a GGG win.
    You are making stuff up.
    megadodge wrote:
    I had no issue with either result.
    Then you are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

There was two I heard call it a draw, everybody else called it a GGG win.
    You are making stuff up.

Then you are clueless.

Good man. Classy as ever.

On the very rare occasions you come on here, you never forget to tell us how you don't follow boxing anymore but now you try telling us that "everybody else" had GGG winning? If you don't follow boxing don't pretend you have an iota of a clue how the boxing world think. You don't follow boxing.

Basically, somebody dared disagree with you and you cannot accept that. That equates to them being "clueless"?
    Seriously, that's just childish nonsense.

Any chance you could give us your scorecard of either fight, especially the second?

Any chance you could break down the fight for us here with your clued in knowledge of the game?

Don't worry I'm not going to hold my breath.

Anyway, take a look at the following videos of other "clueless" boxing people. Ya know, the stuff I "made up".

Mikey Garcia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU3pwQzWQKk

Mayweather Gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy4AtxD0ISM&t=174s

Andre Ward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwHJKoh_DNw

Advertisement