Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing 26/4 (Srisaket v Estrada II, Doheny, BT Card, WBSS etc)

Options
  • 27-04-2019 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭

Doheny up next on Sky. Think he should box competitively here but get beat in the end. Would love to be wrong.

Sat, Sky Sports, 2.30am
    Srisaket-Estrada
    Roman-Doheny

Sat, BT Sport, 8pm
    Dubois-Lartey
    Richards-Langford

Sun, Sky Sports, 1am
    Donaire-Young
    Prograis-Relikh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Man...doheny did really well. Just think he should have poured it on in the 8th after his big previous round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Immense courage shown there by Doheny. Great fight. Doheny could have put him away at one stage but the decision was fair enough apart from the margins being a bit harsh.
    Don't know how this leaves Doheny's future fixed but would love to see him get a few more big fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Dont think he did himself any discredit. Would be surprised if he didnt stay in the mix in that division. Maybe a little tune up next then fight the vargas roman winner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Massive respect to Doheny. Gave it everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great effort by TJ.

I see his purse was $230,000, delighted for him, should be getting a few more opportunities now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Wtf was up with Sor Rungvisai going orthodox for two thirds of the fight? At first I thought he must have had an injury but when he switched to southpaw late he was throwing bombs and having good success. Credit to Estrada though, he made the right adjustments and he still fought fire with fire when he had to. It is a shame he's only getting some real shine in the latter stages of his career. I still hold out some hope for a rematch with Gonzalez. As for SSR, he needs to fire the idiot who told him to go orthodox.

This BT card is septic.

Lartey having a right good go of this. Dubois a little rocked at the end of the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Angliru wrote: »
    Wtf was up with Sor Rungvisai going orthodox for two thirds of the fight? At first I thought he must have had an injury but when he switched to southpaw late he was throwing bombs and having good success. Credit to Estrada though, he made the right adjustments and he still fought fire with fire when he had to. It is a shame he's only getting some real shine in the latter stages of his career. I still hold out some hope for a rematch with Gonzalez. As for SSR, he needs to fire the idiot who told him to go orthodox.

Couldn't agree more. I was watching early and wondering was it just some early blip, but no he kept it up and looked to have no rhythm and then when he finally turned southpaw he immediately started landing. Dumb tactics.

Donaire's left hook is still deadly.

• Advertisement

Unreal performance by Prograis. A fight with Taylor will be the best fight we get in the sport this year imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Prograis really is the real deal. Unbelievable performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

https://www.allthebestfights.com/doheny-vs-takahashi-full-fight-video-2019/

Great effort from TJ against the home town fighter. Overall feel the cards were fair as Roman had him down twice. While the first knockdown was a flash one that didn't hurt him in the second round the body shot most certainly did in the penultimate round. Down the stretch the body work from Roman was taking a toll as TJ looked shattered between rounds bleeding profusely.

But TJ battered him across the ring in the seventh with several unanswered lefts to the head and was unfortunate that Roman sort of slipped as he looked like he was going down. Competitive until the very end in a cracking fight TJ rightly got the respect as he left it all in the ring. This resilience should ensure more top fights going forward. Just a shame he has that mtk connection.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Johner wrote: »
    Great effort by TJ.

I see his purse was $230,000, delighted for him, should be getting a few more opportunities now as well.

I only saw highlights of the fight, but it seemed he performed admirably and showed he's genuinely a World Class Super-Bantamweight.

He's the sort of guy that wasn't meant to achieve anything in the pro game. Wasn't a stand out amateur star, moved to Australia and started his pro game from there, fought his World title eliminator and World title fight away from home.
    But against the odds he's become one of Ireland's top boxers and he wasn't that far away from becoming only our second (Male) boxer to unify World titles.

The only thing that's a shame really is he's not very well known here in Ireland. That's what happens I suppose when you've come through like he has. I feel a win over Roman would of got him a lot of attention at home, but it's not to be.

That purse is very good for a little known Super-Bantamweight though. The benefits of being an MTK managed, Hearn promoted fighter. He'll likely get a few more decent paydays after that performance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Big Ears wrote: »
    That purse is very good for a little known Super-Bantamweight though. The benefits of being an MTK managed, Hearn promoted fighter. He'll likely get a few more decent paydays after that performance too.

To be honest I thought one of the reasons Hearn signed him was that he really wanted that second belt for Danny Roman. Would explain why he overpaid TJ(His purse was bigger than Roman's) but TJ has grabbed the opportunity with both hands and he has shown he belongs at world level. Will surely get more opportunities to get another belt making great money while he does it. A rematch with Roman could be an option as well in a few fights time.

Advertisement