Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mick Byrne 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Luxman wrote: »
    I know! For the same reason you hammered round the Tour de Foothills last week at a savage pace..

I can absolutely guarantee that there'll be none of that carry on next Sunday. There seems to be one sportif every year where I get into serious bad company. I should be cured for at least the next twelve months 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I can absolutely guarantee that there'll be none of that carry on next Sunday. There seems to be one sportif every year where I get into serious bad company. I should be cured for at least the next twelve months 😉
    Boardsies are not bad company?😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Right, anyone want to buy my entry for the 200, face value.
    PM me if interested.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Whats the crack on food stops and water or are we in Evil 200 territory and self sufficient...
    What distance markers are they at if they exist?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Whats the crack on food stops and water or are we in Evil 200 territory and self sufficient...
    What distance markers are they at if they exist?

Typically they have yellow paint signs on the road at every junction, not sure about mile markers. It is the best fed Audax around with at least two stops on route IIRC but there could be more, you won't go hungry if that is a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

1. Avoca ,Meeting of the Waters
    2. Mucklagh bridge, after Browne mtn
    3. the hall in Laragh just off the right of the Glendalough/Wicklow gap rd (where all the bike events use)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

devonp wrote: »
    1. Avoca ,Meeting of the Waters
    2. Mucklagh bridge, after Browne mtn
    3. the hall in Laragh just off the right of the Glendalough/Wicklow gap rd (where all the bike events use)
    There are also usually light refreshments at the start and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Attempting the 200 again tomorrow solo on a super6 and will be doning my marble city jersey if anyone else is on their tod.

Have to agree with other posters this is my favourite organised spin on the calendar

terrydel wrote: »
    PM me if interested.
    Cheers.

Looks like it's going to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Maybe let it go for free? Money going to charity anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah I've an entry also and I'm not going to make it. Free to whoever's wants it.

PM me if interested.
    Cheers.

Maybe let it go for free? Money going to charity anyway...

If anyone wants it they are welcome to it.
    Wasn't aware it was going to charity

15ck8cl.jpg

If anyone wants something to look forward to (I notice the bloody Poggio has been added in and of course the Vico Road is the final kick).

Saw that, prefer it to the knee knocking descent into Enniskerry. With that many hills done, sure lump on a few more, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Lovely day out, really enjoyed that - my wife did her first ever Mick Byrne today so she's delighted with herself!!
    We did the 100km version together, and that is one hell of a spin!!
    Great job by all there at Sorrento - foodstop was really good, everyone really nice and helpful.
    Wife won't admit it just right now, but she'll be back for next year's one, for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

andy69 wrote: »
    Lovely day out, really enjoyed that - my wife did her first ever Mick Byrne today so she's delighted with herself!!
    We did the 100km version together, and that is one hell of a spin!!
    Great job by all there at Sorrento - foodstop was really good, everyone really nice and helpful.
    Wife won't admit it just right now, but she'll be back for next year's one, for sure!

You may warn her now, you're doing the 200 next time!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Daroxtar wrote: »
    You may warn her now, you're doing the 200 next time!! :D

ha! Just said it to her....ye should see her face! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

That was a tough day out on the bike....weather held but the wind was horrendous in spots.
    Well done to Sorrento very friendly well run event.
    Thanks to all the volunteers and the road markings.
    Not sure if I enjoyed it yet!
    Time for a well deserved beer or two before I pass out.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Great day out - windy alright but the fruit salad and cheese squares at the second control made up for all the pain :)

Great job again by Sorrento...as I said previously the best event in the calendar bar none.

A dunk in the 40ft afterwards will hopefully alleviate the soreness tomorrow and Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Brilliant event. Love it (I think). Hats off to all at sorrento for a brilliantly organised, marshalled and friendly day out on the bike. Suffered like a dog the last 20k. Shoulders were in shreds on the Liam Horner descent Feet were killing me at the end. Parts of me ached like never before. I had my first bath in years because of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Well done Sorrento, well run event. The stops on the road were good, the stop at laragh with coke though was delightful. Dont know if they might be here but cycled with Nigel and Raymond from Tallaght for a bit, then with an Orwell gang for most of the rest. Thanks to both for the chats, drag alongs etc. Burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think that was my 5th MB200 but it seemed a lot tougher than the others. Couldn't really get the legs going despite the good weather. Kudos to Paul and the rest of the gang in Sorrento for excellent organisation once again.

(I see one of our Boardsies managed to average 27.5km/h on the 200 route. :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

burger1979 wrote: »
    Well done Sorrento, well run event. The stops on the road were good, the stop at laragh with coke though was delightful. Dont know if they might be here but cycled with Nigel and Raymond from Tallaght for a bit, then with an Orwell gang for most of the rest. Thanks to both for the chats, drag alongs etc. Burger.

Nudge and Ray, 2 sound lads.

Like WA who I rode with, I found this year's event more gruelling that before. Trying to figure out if it was the wind, being two years older (missed last year's) or just not being as fit this year as I thought I was.

As always, it's the friendliest sportif around thanks to Paul and the gang at Sorrento. The fruit salad at Mucklagh Bridge was a welcome new addition but, happily, the traditional rice cream cones were available too. And all for €25 with any surplus going to the Hospice Foundation while another better known 200 charge €75!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My older little fella was going down one of the Magazine Fort hills in Phoenix Park on Saturday evening, lost control and planted it totally face first... Had to stay with him for the night and just in case the next day, so no Mick Byrne for me this year either.... :/

(He fell asleep 10 minutes after, slept 13h straight and woke up completely recovered, no concussion, deficits, etc. ! I wish I could do this ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I was around Dalkey yesterday evening and saw a few of you coming in with that thousand-yard stare that only the MB can give you. Chapeau.

I got "Caught up" in this yesterday morning between Dalkey and Shankhill.

Can I just say thank you to all involved for helping me beat a few personal bests for the parts of it I tagged along for.:D

A few km before the first food stop there is some twisty descending, a lad came down on my inside line (from Lucan I think) on the damp road. There was a marshall there telling us this, Im not the best at descending so inched my way down that bit, hope he is ok. He was up pretty quick but Im sure once the adrenaline wears off the injuries will reveal themselves.

• Advertisement

Luxman wrote: »
    A few km before the first food stop there is some twisty descending, a lad came down on my inside line (from Lucan I think) on the damp road. There was a marshall there telling us this, Im not the best at descending so inched my way down that bit, hope he is ok. He was up pretty quick but Im sure once the adrenaline wears off the injuries will reveal themselves.

Saw that spot just before the Meeting of the Waters. Looked like there were some leaves stuck to the damp spot and i was happy it was just off my line. I wondered whether it had or would catch someone out.

Well marked and marshalled though there was one very soft spoken marshall who fortunately also had a warning sign.

Advertisement