Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspections to households for proof of waste collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

chite wrote: »
    Seems like a step in the right direction, targeting fly-tippers and it may lead to the decline of cowboy "waste collectors".

If you don't have your own bin but bring your waste to a civic amenity site, you must produce a receipt as proof. What about neighbours, parents and their grown children sharing bins as they may not generate a lot of rubbish individually - proof is needed, how can you in this instance?

Good motive, wonder how well inspections will be enforced? Finally there should also be initiatives and better safeguards to help households reduce waste and teach them how to properly segregate it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/households-not-signed-up-for-bin-collection-to-be-inspected-1.3780919?fbclid=IwAR1acEGCBT14KdPXtiWIpWWwpY_g4xk6HyDXkhK1Ra2Tzc8rmmWAZ7FHy4E

As you said unsure how they will regulate it for those who share bins , my parents use very little and throw a bag into my bin once a week...well two small bags one recycling and one general waste.
    Will they now be forced to get a bin because of lack of proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

harr wrote: »
    As you said unsure how they will regulate it for those who share bins , my parents use very little and throw a bag into my bin once a week...well two small bags one recycling and one general waste.
    Will they now be forced to get a bin because of lack of proof.

Possibly in some areas. I feel though that these types of people are not the target of the inspectors, say it more those who would generate a lot of waste like a large household and those who illegally dump their rubbish. Will be interesting to see how it's implemented. My parents living in the countryside don't use a bin service but the waste is segregated and brought to a civic amenity every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

chite wrote: »
    Possibly in some areas. I feel though that these types of people are not the target of the inspectors, say it more those who would generate a lot of waste like a large household and those who illegally dump their rubbish. Will be interesting to see how it's implemented. My parents living in the countryside don't use a bin service but the waste is segregated and brought to a civic amenity every few months.

Is there a waste facility at the civic amenity centre - there isn't one in Enniscorthy? Nearest one is miles away near Wexford town. Plus if you're anyway infirm/elderly they have removed the only town centre bottle banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There is a serious issue to my mind with one being required to present proof of not committing an offense.
    It invalidates the presumption of innocence that one is entitled too.
    Similarly with these inspections, what basis is there for a council official to access a residential premises to inspect or demand bins and receipts.
    If a Guard needs a warrant, surely a jobsworth needs some more legislative authority than a council clipboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

GDPR will put a stop to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Is there a waste facility at the civic amenity centre - there isn't one in Enniscorthy? Nearest one is miles away near Wexford town. Plus if you're anyway infirm/elderly they have removed the only town centre bottle banks.

They take everything they bring (this is the one in Mallow, Cork) - all domestic waste like soft plastics, recyclables and several others like empty paint cans and even some waste generated from the farm like silage wrap.

What about this? It's in Enniscorthy https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/waste-and-recycling/recycling-and-waste-disposal-centres/enniscorthy-recycling-centre

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

That's the one I'm talking about. I am talking about rotten old household rubbish - the sort of stuff that goes to landfill or incineration - not clean segregated recyclables.

This is the Wexford one: https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/waste-and-recycling/recycling-and-waste-disposal-centres/wexford-recycling-centre-holmestown

Note the Wexford one has a price of €7 per bag of general 'waste' - there's no price list and NO such facility in Enniscorthy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

banie01 wrote: »
    There is a serious issue to my mind with one being required to present proof of not committing an offense.
    It invalidates the presumption of innocence that one is entitled too.
    Similarly with these inspections, what basis is there for a council official to access a residential premises to inspect or demand bins and receipts.
    If a Guard needs a warrant, surely a jobsworth needs some more legislative authority than a council clipboard?
    GDPR will put a stop to this.

They came around my estate last summer (well after GDPR), they had left a leaflet in the letterbox as I was out, but they saw me coming back home so they rang the bell. They just asked me a few questions, asked me what company I was using and what bins I had, took note of my answers and reminded me of my obligations. I asked them to come in to talk to them better, but they said they weren't allowed to set foot inside.

I'm not sure what oher county councils are doing.

I'd say if I had told them that I was sharing the bins with a friend or a family member they would have been happy enough with that, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I can see a bit of opposition to this one alright, be interesting to see it being rolled out

Advertisement