Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this bird

Options
  • 08-12-2018 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone identify this bird .
    I'm not a bird watcher but saw this lad and was wondering what he is .
    I cant see anything like it on Birdwatch Ireland and have never seen one myself before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Try Colour variant chaffinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

Yeah, it looks like a Leucistic Chaffinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Yep chaffinch or a canary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cd07 wrote: »

Oddly enough, my first thought was a Canary too. My family had a tradition of canary breeding and the head struck me as more a Norwich Canary than a Chaffinch. However, most canarys are ringed as nestlings and I see no ring on this bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

The beak/bill isn't quite right for a Canary. It's a subtle difference, but this bird's bill is just a little too long and narrower. My father bred Canaries for many years too, and I've seen quite a few white Canaries in my time. One of the images shows this bird with a male Chaffinch, so law of averages would suggest Chaffinch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Thanks for the replys guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

cd07 wrote: »
    Canary

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Hi

I know this is old thread but I couldn't find anything more suitable. I saw a bird Today that I never saw before and just thought somebody may be able to identify it...It was mostly brown and between a thrush and dove in size with blue and black feathers on the wing..It seemed to have a longish beak...

I have a photo but you have to zoom right in to see it...I will try and upload...Just curious as to what its is

A Jay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

This time of year it could be a Cuckoo, impossible to tell without the pic.

Edit: How long was the beak, have a look at a snipe or woodcock.

• Advertisement

A Jay?

I don't know...I will google a photo of a Jay and see...Thanks

exador wrote: »
    I don't know...I will google a photo of a Jay and see...Thanks

Yep...That looks like it OK...I never saw one before...Are there many of these in Ireland ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Loads.

New Home wrote: »
    Loads.

Thanks...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep, a jay. Sideways, but a jay. :)

Yep, a jay. Sideways, but a jay. :)

Thanks

Never saw one and it looked different so was just curious..

Even more rare if its a sideways Jay !

Hi

I know this is old thread but I couldn't find anything more suitable. I saw a bird Today that I never saw before and just thought somebody may be able to identify it...It was mostly brown and between a thrush and dove in size with blue and black feathers on the wing..It seemed to have a longish beak...

I have a photo but you have to zoom right in to see it...I will try and upload...Just curious as to what its is
    Jsy

Hi

Jsy
    Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Yep...That looks like it OK...I never saw one before...Are there many of these in Ireland ?

they are but they are very secretive..and rarely come out in the open, which is surprising for a member of the crow family

fryup wrote: »
    they are but they are very secretive..and rarely come out in the open, which is surprising for a member of the crow family

I was within 20 feet and it didn't seem too bothered that I was there which is how I managed t0 get a few photos..The feathers on the head seemed to be a bit more fluffy/soft? Not a bird expert but I assume it could have been a young Jay which may explain why it was less secretive ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Could be a released mule.canary x Finch
    The first one

I was within 20 feet and it didn't seem too bothered that I was there which is how I managed t0 get a few photos..The feathers on the head seemed to be a bit more fluffy/soft? Not a bird expert but I assume it could have been a young Jay which may explain why it was less secretive ?
    It's certainly an adult and not a juvenile.
    Could be a released mule.canary x Finch
    It's, without doubt, a Jay.

It's certainly an adult and not a juvenile.

It's, without doubt, a Jay.

No first one I meant srameen

No first one I meant srameen

The one from last December? :)

The one from last December? :)

Yeah I didn’t see the date my bad.

That's alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It is to big to be a Chaffinch. To me, it is a Canary.

Advertisement