Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Codenames discussion & GAME SETUP / SIGN UP

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote:
    Never a big fan of point deduction but it could be interesting in this tournament. So if I hit the assassin with 2 words remaining, I get 0 points?

Currently yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

For the League - i think you should follow SKs plan to have teams generate a board together, rather than relying on the organiser to create it. It can be shared if needed, but SKs idea of generating 2 random words and captains PMing them to create a board means teams can organise matches as they want to (just in case the organiser is sick or busy in work or whatever).

Also, the editing rule - i think this should be left to captains. If captains agree to edit something, they should be able to do so without the organiser being contacted.

Just my 2c.

Pter wrote: »
    (just in case the organiser is sick or busy in work or whatever).

Also, the editing rule - i think this should be left to captains. If captains agree to edit something, they should be able to do so without the organiser being contacted.

Me, busy? Lol:pac::pac::pac:

Yeah it saves me a lot of effort that's for sure. If people are happy with that then I can change that rule if ye like.

I have included a clause which allows the captains to resolves most issues but a glaring one I probably need to see and make a call on so hence the no edit.

Also will be editing the no discussion rule. The guesser can talk all they want, try and work things out but the captain may not respond in any fashion other than the regular responses.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Me, busy? Lol:pac::pac::pac:

Yeah it saves me a lot of effort that's for sure. If people are happy with that then I can change that rule if ye like.

I have included a clause which allows the captains to resolves most issues but a glaring one I probably need to see and make a call on so hence the no edit.

Also will be editing the no discussion rule. The guesser can talk all they want, try and work things out but the captain may not respond in any fashion other than the regular responses.

Having a no edit rule may result in more games being abandoned and restarted, i reckon. If a mistake (spelling, outside the rules, inappropriate chat) is made and not changed quickly, you could be 75% through a game and have to restart due to the mistake.

I understand why its needed too, i just think that might be a side effect. Also if you are going to include that rule, whats the punishment for breaking it?

Having a no edit rule may result in more games being abandoned and restarted, i reckon. If a mistake (spelling, outside the rules, inappropriate chat) is made and not changed quickly, you could be 75% through a game and have to restart due to the mistake.

I understand why its needed too, i just think that might be a side effect. Also if you are going to include that rule, whats the punishment for breaking it?

I get to punish people now? Excellent....:D:D

Seriously though, the minor errors (spelling for example) are for the captains to resolve. I can edit(lol) the rule to reflect that. Serious incursions of game rules obviously result in the award of the game to the other team, but maybe I'm being naive here, I don't expect this to happen at all.

• Advertisement

I get to punish people now? Excellent....:D:D

Seriously though, the minor errors (spelling for example) are for the captains to resolve. I can edit(lol) the rule to reflect that. Serious incursions of game rules obviously result in the award of the game to the other team, but maybe I'm being naive here, I don't expect this to happen at all.

I think we should maybe take a leaf out of WW rules if we are gonna have this rule for Codenames. Dont edit, but if you need to do a minor change (spelling), do in consultation with the other captain. If the other captain has an issue with the edit made or it was made without consultation, it gets referred to league and forum mods (because with due respect Necro you wont be able to see the text that was edited).

I agree; doubt it will be an issue, but if you have a rule there, best to make sure its gonna work!

I think we should maybe take a leaf out of WW rules if we are gonna have this rule for Codenames. Dont edit, but if you need to do a minor change (spelling), do in consultation with the other captain. If the other captain has an issue with the edit made or it was made without consultation, it gets referred to league and forum mods (because with due respect Necro you wont be able to see the text that was edited).

I agree; doubt it will be an issue, but if you have a rule there, best to make sure its gonna work!

Yeah that is kinda the exact reason for the no edit rule because I wouldn't be able to see the original text.

Just my opinion, so maybe others have thoughts on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I think the golden rule should be if the 2 captains agree it and it doesn't violate the charter, it's fine.

In the event of an inter-captain dispute, pause the game, delete the offending post after both sides copy it for posterity (or inform a mod) and then get the organiser to adjudicate. Outside of me doing this 3 times a game it will probably never come up.

Corollary : Unless there's a charter violation, Mod would need to check with both captains before modding, or captains would need to feed back all cap-rulings to the mod team. Whichever is least trouble.

Limit captains to <Clue word>, number, Play, Or, Pass, Img tags.

Ensure there's at least 3 people on a team, so you get more discussion going around clues, spectators can shout at the two idiots who are about to guess the assassin and the games don't become too stilted as a result of the "shut the **** up, captain!" rule above. I think a smaller league with teams that get to bounce stuff back and forth would be more entertaining to watch than a larger league where people can only really chat after the game is finished.

Banjo wrote: »
    I think the golden rule should be if the 2 captains agree it and it doesn't violate the charter, it's fine.

In the event of an inter-captain dispute, pause the game, delete the offending post after both sides copy it for posterity (or inform a mod) and then get the organiser to adjudicate. Outside of me doing this 3 times a game it will probably never come up.

Corollary : Unless there's a charter violation, Mod would need to check with both captains before modding, or captains would need to feed back all cap-rulings to the mod team. Whichever is least trouble.

Limit captains to <Clue word>, number, Play, Or, Pass, Img tags.

Ensure there's at least 3 people on a team, so you get more discussion going around clues, spectators can shout at the two idiots who are about to guess the assassin and the games don't become too stilted as a result of the "shut the **** up, captain!" rule above. I think a smaller league with teams that get to bounce stuff back and forth would be more entertaining to watch than a larger league where people can only really chat after the game is finished.

Bang on, imo.

1 Q: Why would the capt need image tags?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭conor222

to post game boards?

conor222 wrote: »
    to post game boards?

Ah yeah gotcha - proviso that thats all they are used for, of course!

As organiser, Necro would not be playing so I think we can rest easy that the IMG tags won't be abused :P

If there's going to be a bunch of 2 man teams, an alternative would be to have some kind of dead-room-esque system where captains can scream at their team-mate and explain their clues, but only the other captains can hear them :D

Anyone for a game today outside of World Cup/league stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

Anyone for a game today outside of World Cup/league stuff?

Ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Guffy wrote: »
    Ya

Go on sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

me, me , me , me

Be home in ten mins just collecting little ones. If someone wants to set up the board I'll captain the other team for the practice.

Aye! I've got the bug

so, cap : necro and ?? . volunteer?

• Advertisement

Many about for a friendly? League won't start till next Monday so plenty of time for pre season fixtures :)

Necrominus wrote:
    Many about for a friendly? League won't start till next Monday so plenty of time for pre season fixtures

I'll do a guesser in a game

I'll do a guesser in a game

tenor.gif?itemid=4775026

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Yeah I can play, can cpt

Kolido wrote: »
    Yeah I can play, can cpt

I want another rattle at captaining, so that's cool by me. I'm busy for about ten mins, wanna set up the board?

If you need a spare team-mate let me know. Or share the board and I'll commentate. I see myself as combining Des Lynam's encyclopedic knowledge of the game with Jimmy McGee's suave charm.

Banjo wrote: »
    If you need a spare team-mate let me know. Or share the board and I'll commentate. I see myself as combining Des Lynam's encyclopedic knowledge of the game with Jimmy McGee's suave charm.

Join away, you'll be on team Kommunist Banjo

• Advertisement

Many around for a game?

I'd like to guess this time please :(

I'm here, would like to guess also.

Ill set one up shall I

Ill guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ill guess

Here you have feckin work to do chappie!

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Here you have feckin work to do chappie!

Im dipping in and out!

all work and no play make pter & molly grumpy, ... come join us for a game molly...

Me and Necro looking to get warmed up for the league next week, anyone fancy a 2v2 game?

I'm your huckleberry

I could jump in guys if thats ok. Don't mind cpt or guesser.

• Advertisement

Banjo and Kolido vs Conor and Necro
    I'll set iy up now, colour preference?

Blue please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Anyone for a non league match?
    I'm gonna pop to lunch shortly but should be back around 2.30 if people fancy :)
    I'll guess or captain

Id like to Captain if thats ok, wanna improve my skills yo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

If PJ doesn't pop along before then for our league game, I'm in

Do one of ye want to set it up so and get your captaining on? I'm away for the next hour so will have to hop in once im back :)

duffman13 wrote: »
    If PJ doesn't pop along before then for our league game, I'm in

I PMed PJ and he should be along shortly.

Anyone for a friendly match?

• Advertisement
Advertisement