Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boxing book recommendations?

Options
  • 20-10-2017 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey,
    I am looking for boxing books from the time period 1700 - present day. I am not too interested in any autobiography but rather the history of the sport, mainly the evolution of the actual ring. If anyone knows any good book, text heavy or even a collection of photographs and such please write it down.

Any suggestions is a good suggestion, thanks a mill!

Ellen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

There have been plenty of quite detailed books on boxing history over the years. I read a good few myself when I was a teenager (1980s) and the best I read was probably Harry Mullan's 'The Illustrated History of Boxing'.

The only problem is that book only covers up to the late 1980s, so all the modern stuff won't be there. I've a funny feeling there aren't many that cover from the beginning right up to now as most of the older stuff has been covered before, so why bother? Most modern books are on a specific subject within boxing, usually an individual boxer or group of associated boxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EllenEriksen

That is perfect, thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Just finished Ghosts of Manila by Mark Kram. Superbly written although it is an absolutely devastating portrayal of Ali. Manila destroyed both men and they were never the same for it.

Kram thoroughly, and unfairly, dismantles every aspect of Ali but what stood out for me was the that apparently Frazier was legally blind in his left eye for the majority of his boxing life. This is remarkable and definitely elevates this extraordinary Champion.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Just finished Ghosts of Manila by Mark Kram. Superbly written although it is an absolutely devastating portrayal of Ali. Manila destroyed both men and they were never the same for it.

Kram thoroughly, and unfairly, dismantles every aspect of Ali but what stood out for me was the that apparently Frazier was legally blind in his left eye for the majority of his boxing life. This is remarkable and definitely elevates this extraordinary Champion.

Highly recommended.

I've read this one myself, but I have misplaced my copy, might pick it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Dark Trade is brilliant. Came out in the mid 90's. A good bit focuses on James Toney who is such a character. Well worth a read.
    I remember another good one about John L Sullivan. Can't remember the exact title but it was a very good historic overview of the change to regulated rules at the turn of the century and the pioneers of the early fight scene in America (many were Irish of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I liked Tyson's book. Worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Thoroughly enjoyed Andy Lee's biography which came out last year.

Also dipping into Hugh McIlvanny on Boxing -- a collection of his articles that goes from the 60s up to the 90s. Amazing writing, and fantastic to read articles from the time of those legendary fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not quite what the OP was asking for, but I really enjoyed Four Kings.

51W5nOZU6eL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Advertisement