Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the #HomeToVote crew this year?

Options
  • 22-05-2019 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

There must be no likes to be had this time around....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

They only care for certain agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They came home, they're still at home.

Maybe they were aborted ?

lol aw diddums

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'd guess they are not giving a sh*t wherever they may be. Like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

divorcees can't afford plane tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Divorce affects a much smaller set of people, and it's just the terms around divorce that are changing. If it was being allowed for the first time it would be much different. It's disingenuous to compare the two but I think you know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

A referendum to amend the rules surrounding divorce is welcome and necessary, but hardly earth-shattering stuff, hence why it’s not getting attention from international news media like the gay marriage and repeal votes, and it’s certainly not going to inspire a home to vote campaign. Ireland’s big divorce referendum was back in the mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

They have to scrape the barrel to find someone to oppose the referendum (cue David Quinn), it feels more as a bit administration than proper referendum. Why is divorce in constitution anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Different groups of people prioritise different political issues according to their ideological beliefs? STOP THE PRESSES!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why is divorce in constitution anyway?

Because marriage is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Unlike you, who obviously cares about all issues to an exactly equal degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There's no emotive agenda on this one.
    As usual turnout will plummet.

No interest in the running of the country, only in the latest "must have"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No likey, no votey

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You'd need to read up on what the country was like when the constitution was drawn up in 1937.

Unlike you, who obviously cares about all issues to an exactly equal degree.

I was going to say no you are wrong. But on mature reflection (what a phrase!! Thank BL senior); i value my vote so i show up to them all . So emotionally i dont value all issues equally but maybe in practice I do. You may have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I didn’t personally agree with the #hometovote campaign. Only those who fully fulfil the requirements should vote and had the result been close, the high visibility of the campaign could have sparked serious challenges. And then because the margin was large, it made no difference. So either way, it didn’t make sense.

But I kinda love it now for the bitterness some people appear to carry around for it. As above.

I was going to say no you are wrong. But on mature reflection (what a phrase!! Thank BL senior); i value my vote so i show up to them all . So emotionally i dont value all issues equally but maybe in practice I do. You may have a point.

But try considering it from the perspective of someone whose circumstances aren't the exact same as yours. Say, if you lived abroad, maybe you would have to make decisions about which issues you are going to prioritise in terms of making the journey home to vote? I mean, you would hardly vote in them all if you lived thousands of miles away and had limited money, right?

A referendum to amend the rules surrounding divorce is welcome and necessary, but hardly earth-shattering stuff, hence why it’s not getting attention from international news media like the gay marriage and repeal votes, and it’s certainly not going to inspire a home to vote campaign. Ireland’s big divorce referendum was back in the mid 90s.

And that WAS bitter. Moreso than the 8th Ref last year. And it barely passed too. I was shocked reading about it recently. Only 9000 votes, I think. Dublin and a handful of other constituencies dragged it over the line. I believe in one of the ‘Yes’ constituencies, the winning margin was only 44 votes. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Probably all off having abortions.

• Advertisement

And that WAS bitter. Moreso than the 8th Ref last year. And it barely passed too. I was shocked reading about it recently. Only 9000 votes, I think. Dublin and a handful of other constituencies dragged it over the line. I believe in one of the ‘Yes’ constituencies, the winning margin was only 44 votes. :eek:

Another referendum where we were told repeatedly by our moral superiors that it would undermine the very bedrock of Irish society. Yet here we are, somehow soldiering on, the social fabric somehow still intact.

But try considering it from the perspective of someone whose circumstances aren't the exact same as yours. Say, if you lived abroad, maybe you would have to make decisions about which issues you are going to prioritise in terms of making the journey home to vote? I mean, you would hardly vote in them all if you lived thousands of miles away and had limited money, right?

Maybe i wouldnt vote at all.

Many of those #hometovote would have been voting illegally.
    Still on the register but living aboard.
    Dept of foreign affairs says one must ordinarily be resident on 1st sept preceding year. Probably fair to say most of those #hometovote werent.

Maybe i wouldnt vote at all.

Many of those #hometovote would have been voting illegally.
    Still on the register but living aboard.
    Dept of foreign affairs says one must ordinarily be resident on 1st sept preceding year. Probably fair to say most of those #hometovote werent.

I've no idea, but that's probably a reasonable assertion to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Chortle Chortle Chortle. Another thinly veiled "young people/the left are stupid" thread.

There should be a mega thread for this guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

It doesn't look as good on instagram or twitter flying home to vote for some inbred Fine Gael or Fianna Fail councillor. The #hometovote brigade have much pressing issues such as taking a selfie in the mirror. A bunch of vain narcissists that jumped jumped ship abroad and left the rest of us to fester in this cesspit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Everything is in the constitution here for some reason. Reckon a right to a home will be the next big referendum. They'll be launching their GoFundMe campaigns to cover the cost of their travel home for that one. That referendum will be a hoot and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It doesn't look as good on instagram or twitter flying home to vote for some inbred Fine Gael or Fianna Fail councillor. The #hometovote brigade have much pressing issues such as taking a selfie in the mirror. A bunch of vain narcissists that jumped jumped ship abroad and left the rest of us to fester in this cesspit.

Christ that's an angry post.

Maybe the divorce referendum hasn't had the same coverage as the recent high profile referenda. Maybe it Isn't as important to anyone as the other referenda.

I'd bet the farm that overall turnout will be well below the gay marriage and abortion across all demographics

The old people will be out in force to vote as they usually do. But this time there isnt the same clear young/old divide in how they will vote.

Another referendum where we were told repeatedly by our moral superiors that it would undermine the very bedrock of Irish society. Yet here we are, somehow soldiering on, the social fabric somehow still intact.

Very true. Though I would never favour quickie divorce coming in. That truly would devalue the whole thing. But two years is long enough to wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Very true. Though I would never favour quickie divorce coming in. That truly would devalue the whole thing. But two years is long enough to wait!

Isn't it a case of letting the 2 individuals make their own choice without the state deciding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I like to think of the constitution as a locked chest, and the politicians have to come to us if they want the key.
    Sure we can open it up, take out the divorce framework rules and hand them over. Then they can mess around with those rules all they like.
    But they have to ask first.
    If we really value something, we keep it in the Constitution.

Advertisement