Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,989 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    In reality if you look at the back row options you have

Backrow: VdF, POM, Stander, Conan and Nordi.

It's between Nordi and VDF as who gets final spot

VdF is as nailed on as Jesus on Good Friday. Last spot is likely between Ruddock, Nordi and SOB. I'd take Ruddock there, given he can cover 2nd row as well, but Nordi is a quality option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    Who does he replace? Have a look at the squad I guessed on the previous page.

You seriously think VdF (our best openside) is left on the periphery while SOB saunters in? Based on what? That would be mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You seriously think VdF (our best openside) is left on the periphery while SOB saunters in? Based on what? That would be mental.

You are getting mixed up with what I think and what Joe thinks.

Presonally I would have

Backrow: VdF, Stander, Conan, SOB and Nordi.

Then I would bring Beirne in second row, drop Dillane, so if a POM player required then bring in Beirne. Then have a few players like POM, Dillane etc be on holiday somewhere very close by....

This is not what Joe will pick.

Joe will go for

Backrow: SOB, POM, Stander, Conan and JVF/Nordi.

The one advantage, last WC you could name the squad. Now if we do have an injury at least we have some decent back up. Even the SA lad said it yesterday that Ireland in the qtr last time had too many injuries

You are getting mixed up with what I think and what Joe thinks.

Presonally I would have

Backrow: VdF, Stander, Conan, SOB and Nordi.

Then I would bring Beirne in second row, drop Dillane, so if a POM player required then bring in Beirne. Then have a few players like POM, Dillane etc be on holiday somewhere very close by....

This is not what Joe will pick.

Joe will go for

Backrow: SOB, POM, Stander, Conan and JVF/Nordi.

The one advantage, last WC you could name the squad. Now if we do have an injury at least we have some decent back up. Even the SA lad said it yesterday that Ireland in the qtr last time had too many injuries

Hang on, POM doesn't even make the plane for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

100%.VdF started against New Zealand, England and France in the last 8 months. He's clearly Joe's pick for the big games at 7. O'Brien only started against Italy and Scotland (and against Wales but VdF was injured at that point).

And no chance of POM not making the plane absent of injury.

• Advertisement

Hang on, POM doesn't even make the plane for you?

It's POM or Nordi....

I am still undecided. I think injury will make the decision as I would expect at least 1 injury before WC and one during WC

We need impactsub off the bench and SOB has that written all over him, if he can stay fit

It's POM or Nordi....

I am still undecided. I think injury will make the decision as I would expect at least 1 injury before WC and one during WC

We need impactsub off the bench and SOB has that written all over him, if he can stay fit

SOB doesn't have the impact anymore, bench or starting. Even as a die hard Leinster fan, I'd take any of the aforementioned off the bench over SOB, his barnstorming days are far behind him and he's shown no evidence otherwise for Ireland or Leinster this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

POM could walk out onto the pitch, lie down and not move for the entire 80 mins and you would still have some section of fans/media etc telling you about how great a game he had :p

As I posted above, on another forum with a huge Irish fan base I got hammered for questioning his form, I was told he was the best player for Ireland in 6 nations and was undroppable....

Its not just munster fans or media, its his fellow players from all four provinces who rate him. Its Joe Schmidt. Do you know more than they know? Out of about 120 players, he was shortlisted to last 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Who gives a **** what people would think about POM if he did nothing for 80 minutes. He doesn’t do nothing for 80 minutes. He was man of the match against New Zealand for being the best forward on the park and making absolutely essential turnovers against one of the best packs to ever play in Dublin. Anyone who doesn’t think he should be in an Ireland squad is certifiably insane.

Who gives a **** what people would think about POM if he did nothing for 80 minutes. He doesn’t do nothing for 80 minutes. He was man of the match against New Zealand for being the best forward on the park and making absolutely essential turnovers against one of the best packs to ever play in Dublin. Anyone who doesn’t think he should be in an Ireland squad is certifiably insane.

He was great against New Zealand and I agree that to leave him out of the squad would be mental.

I don't think he's good enough at the moment to make the 23 though

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    Its not just munster fans or media, its his fellow players from all four provinces who rate him. Its Joe Schmidt. Do you know more than they know? Out of about 120 players, he was shortlisted to last 4.

I already said he would travel and he would start....maybe read that...If you read the posts I have him at 7 with Standar and Conan playing with him....

Standard aggresive post from same people. When did I say I know more?

As per all my posts I have said personal/joe opinion etc.

As per my posts I said he would travel and start for the big games....

Well then people are responding to your opinion which is;

You can't express two opinions and then get uppity when one is challenged. And unless you are Joe Schmidt, it's two opinions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Which, you said, was Joe's opinion. You also said you don't think he should travel. Which is your opinion. And a ridiculous one at that.

He was great against New Zealand and I agree that to leave him out of the squad would be mental.

I don't think he's good enough at the moment to make the 23 though

What 23?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

When you think about the dogs abuse Heaslip got for years then that point is a bit redundant.

For the record, people talk about impact off the bench, I think I'd much rather POM than SOB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mr Tickle wrote: »

reads like a "best of the rest" kinda list......

Nucifora has signed a new deal to stay with the IRFU until 2022.

Faugheen wrote: »
    When you think about the dogs abuse Heaslip got for years then that point is a bit redundant.

For the record, people talk about impact off the bench, I think I'd much rather POM than SOB

People were wrong for years about Heaslip. How does that make anything redundant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,989 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

In what capacity though? He's not going to break out with a massive bust, he's unlikely to grab a raft of turnovers, nor tackle the opposition to a standstill.

Heaslip got abuse because he wasn't making big breaks, but he had the stats to show he was making a massive contribution elsewhere. Far superior player in fairness.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In what capacity though? He's not going to break out with a massive bust, he's unlikely to grab a raft of turnovers, nor tackle the opposition to a standstill.

Heaslip got abuse because he wasn't making big breaks, but he had the stats to show he was making a massive contribution elsewhere. Far superior player in fairness.

Because if you have a fresh POM coming as teams are getting tired, I'd like to think he'd have an impact on the ground.

I could well be wrong but I reckon he'd do really well off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Because if you have a fresh POM coming as teams are getting tired, I'd like to think he'd have an impact on the ground.

I could well be wrong but I reckon he'd do really well off the bench

Yeah I remember him coming on after around 60 minutes in the win against Australia in 2016 and making an impact

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd like to see Ruddock make it! I think he offers more physicality than any other 6 we have. VDF will make it, barring injury. Nordi is so flexible and covers the entire br! That could be crucial.
    The balance is very important and this will be the last rwc for a lot of these lads. J.S has his mitts full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

it absolutely is not , VDF is the first guy Joe schmidt is writing down on the starting xv in the backrow,

He is by far the best 7 we have available and its not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

He'll be on the plane, but that game was along time ago and hes been ****e since

He'll be on the plane, but that game was along time ago and hes been ****e since

He hasn't been ****e since but a lot of players seemed to peak pre Christmas and then somewhat switched off mid season. I think the RWC is a big part in this mindset but I feel somewhere in the background something might be amiss with the provinces / IRFU in some way or just the players themselves.

I think there is definitely something rotten afoot in Munster and I think it's potentially related to the coaching ticket.

Leinster will pound Glasgow this weekend and then everyone goes away for a few weeks and I think that's a good thing. It's going to be an intense build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I’m also in the camp of this year being solely about the World Cup and sacrificing everything else so players arrive at peak physical condition.

We showed absolutely nothing during the 6 nations. Nothing. We looked good v France as all we had to do was play territory against them. Think we showed one or two old set piece moves the whole tournament. It’s all in the bank.

The fact Sexton etc was playing at start of pro 14 this year strengthens my beliefs further. We have peaked too early before and I think everyone in IRFU recognises that this is our chance. I’d go further and state that Joe/IRFU have been planning players peaks and troughs for the last 2 years. We have a winnable group and a winnable quarter.

I’m not buying this “we have been figured out” craic at all.

Get through Saturday with, touch wood, no serious injuries and then get a good rest into everyone before camp.

I think we will show up at World Cup in peak condition and shape and unrecognisable to the team that played in 6 nations.

All in my opinion of course.

I’m also in the camp of this year being solely about the World Cup and sacrificing everything else so players arrive at peak physical condition.

We showed absolutely nothing during the 6 nations. Nothing. We looked good v France as all we had to do was play territory against them. Think we showed one or two old set piece moves the whole tournament. It’s all in the bank.

The fact Sexton etc was playing at start of pro 14 this year strengthens my beliefs further. We have peaked too early before and I think everyone in IRFU recognises that this is our chance. I’d go further and state that Joe/IRFU have been planning players peaks and troughs for the last 2 years. We have a winnable group and a winnable quarter.

I’m not buying this “we have been figured out” craic at all.

Get through Saturday with, touch wood, no serious injuries and then get a good rest into everyone before camp.

I think we will show up at World Cup in peak condition and shape and unrecognisable to the team that played in 6 nations.

All in my opinion of course.

I hope you're right. There are even a few non Irish rugby experts who are sceptical about Ireland's decline and think it's part of the master plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I hope you're right. There are even a few non Irish rugby experts who are sceptical about Ireland's decline and think it's part of the master plan.

I hope I’m right too.

I just cannot foresee a scenario where somebody as meticulous as joe etc is for this not to be the case. Lessons have been learned from 2015. Squad is bigger and in a position to cope better than we did previously with injuries. I think second piece of that puzzle was to ensure we are peaking and third was to save our best stuff for when it matters.

Queue a BP loss to the Scots.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement