Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mick Byrne 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Was it last year that I took that turn with you? We went 6 or 7 kms when you asked me why I was doing the 160k. Dopey here had to retrace my steps to get back on the 200k route - as if it wasn't long enough! :D

MB is paced a bit better than the OR. None of those enthusiastic whippets hammering along at a ridiculous pace only to die a slow death half way through

Ya, I figured you were probably going to cycle the 160 and then do another 100 on the scenic route back home.
    Don't worry, this year I'm doing the 200 so I won't be leading you astray :D:D
    Orwell definitely a quicker pace alright. I found it tougher than MB the first year I did it although the rotten headwind all the way back up the Sally Gap probably made it feel even worse.

Edit; when I reached Avoca and had an unofficial coffee stop after that, another lad pulled in beside me.
    "You on the MB? “ says I.
    " Yeah, tough going" he said "I need a refill"
    "So you decided to do the 160 too? “ I said

Blank stare from him for a few seconds
    "What?? No, I'm on the 200“

He'd done an extra 40 km and 800m climbing in the same time it took me to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ...Don't worry, this year I'm doing the 200 so I won't be leading you astray :D:D...
    ...and I may be doing the 160 for strategic reasons. Although I'll add unofficial kms to it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Moment of madness Im in...
    Beara at that entry price and the travelling can wait....
    45km to 200km in a few weeks....lets hope my current form improves....

Colm18 over to you Sir....:D

Anyone know if the roads will be marked? notice a few very old MB yellow sprayed ones around Glencree recently..
    Havent been on some of the route before so dont fancy getting lost...
    The beauty of Audax I suppose....

Anyone know if the roads will be marked? notice a few very old MB yellow sprayed ones around Glencree recently..
    Havent been on some of the route before so dont fancy getting lost...
    The beauty of Audax I suppose....
    As far as I can recall it is marked (which is unusual for an audax). There was a bit of controversy a few years ago when multiple truck manoeuvres up to a wind farm on the very south of the route wore away the markings and a few got lost.

(I usually get lost at the very end coming back into Dalkey. I'd get lost at the start too but there's usually a bunch for the first few kms).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

(I usually get lost at the very end coming back into Dalkey....).

Ha! So it's not just me then :) every time I get to that T-Junction near the end I can never remember whether I went left or right the year before. Had to wait til someone came by!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Best sportive of the year in my view. Gutted to be missing it this year after doing it every year since my first attempt in 2013. If anyone is on the fence, just do it!

Got 100k under the belt yesterday (only my 2nd century of the year) and 66k on Saturday....now to add them together and find another 34k with a couple of thousand metres climbing for Sunday.
    just to find that compact crank now....

Calling Colm18 and you can bring Nico with you as well... :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Got 100k under the belt yesterday (only my 2nd century of the year) and 66k on Saturday....now to add them together and find another 34k with a couple of thousand metres climbing for Sunday.

I might see yous out on the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I missed last year and therefore dont know what the new start is like for showering facilities etc. Anyone?

The run up to this is like a “cycling Christmas”😜

• Advertisement

Luxman wrote: »
    I missed last year and therefore dont know what the new start is like for showering facilities etc. Anyone?

The run up to this is like a “cycling Christmas”��
    I have a vague recollection that the school gym (beside the start point) was available for showering but perhaps someone else can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Yeah, think it was on the right hand side as you signed on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

And the first one was way back in Jan, Nudge and full of punctures on a Wicklow route, on an extremely windy day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Signed up for the 200, have done 1 100km + cycle this year, in fact one since September last year I reckon. I haven't a fecking chance of finishing it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'm in , thanks to Daroxtar. See yous Sunday.

secman wrote: »
    And the first one was way back in Jan, Nudge and full of punctures on a Wicklow route, on an extremely windy day :)

Was it that far back Secman!!! :eek:

terrydel wrote: »
    Signed up for the 200, have done 1 100km + cycle this year, in fact one since September last year I reckon. I haven't a fecking chance of finishing it.

:D Looks like a group of boardsies is forming...
    Youll have to look at a few David Goggins vids on you tube Terry Saturday night ;)
    Mind over matter...Head down keep peddling....

About time Colm18.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Head down keep peddling

Wrong sportive Nudge! You'll see when you get there :)

Alek wrote: »
    Wrong sportive Nudge! You'll see when you get there :)

Im trying to make lads feel better ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

:D Looks like a group of boardsies is forming...
    Youll have to look at a few David Goggins vids on you tube Terry Saturday night ;)
    Mind over matter...Head down keep peddling....

About time Colm18.. :D

The mind is fine, the matter is anything but!
    I'd be delighted to get thru the 160.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

terrydel wrote: »
    I'd be delighted to get thru the 160.

The last few years I keep remembering that the MB160 is the perfect sportif. Terrific route with just the right amount of distance and climbing. So remind me please, why I have signed up for the 200 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

The last few years I keep remembering that the MB160 is the perfect sportif. Terrific route with just the right amount of distance and climbing. So remind me please, why I have signed up for the 200 again?

I know! For the same reason you hammered round the Tour de Foothills last week at a savage pace..

Has anyone a Strava file of the 200k route they could throw up here?
    Thanks
    All this talk I've to try make myself feel better now :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Better value for money, 40km extra, you'd be a fool not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hula Hoops at the stop on the descent of Brown Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Has anyone a Strava file of the 200k route they could throw up here?
    Thanks
    All this talk I've to try make myself feel better now :D

This is converted from Sorrento Webpage 200KM Maymyride version, this was updated sometime last week from a 2018 to a 2019 route on the webpage, not sure if there is any real difference.

https://www.strava.com/routes/19027494

Resoguy wrote: »
    This is converted from Sorrento Webpage 200KM Maymyride version, this was updated sometime last week from a 2018 to a 2019 route on the webpage, not sure if there is any real difference.

https://www.strava.com/routes/19027494

Looks handy:D...Alek stop scare mongering.... :)

Alek stop scare mongering

I'm doing exactly the opposite!

What I'm saying is that you can ride MB200 as easy or as hard as you want it to be, its not W200 and you're not stuck in the Orwell train! ;D

Alek wrote: »
    I'm doing exactly the opposite!

What I'm saying is that you can ride MB200 as easy or as hard as you want it to be, its not W200 and you're not stuck in the Orwell train! ;D

NOW I get you!!

• Advertisement

BTW I've done it in moderately hard way before, its easy time this time for me :)

Advertisement