Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2019 - 29/09/19

Options
  • 12-04-2019 5:10pm

Starts and finishes in the Phoenix Park, no sign of a route, so hopefully a change from last year.
    €45 CI members, others €50 for the 100km

http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I see one of the food stops is at Nual GAA.

10% discount until April 19th
    Use code
    GDBR19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They should try and avoid Blanchardstown and back roads around Lucan unless they can close the road for a few hours. The whole bit from Damastown to the strawberry beds was a pita.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I like the event as a whole but the ridiculously early start offends me. Even on one Sunday in the whole year we can't give over the quays to cyclists for a few hours of the least busy day of the week. It's vital we get them in and out of the city as quickly as humanly possible is the thought process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

No thanks. Did it last year and not impressed, much prefer the scenic sportives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Did it last year, lived the early start but the route was not scenic at all so wont be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Didn't make it last year but I did hear people were unimpressed with the organisation and the stop/starts returning to the city. I'd be waiting until the route is announced before committing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Ditto. Have done it the past three years and really enjoyed the first two but with the route change they introduced last year, it was a disaster from the merge point on the N2 till we got to the park. Roads were far too narrow for so many cyclists especially when we were mixed with regular traffic. Will be waiting on the route before I consider pulling the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    10% discount until April 19th
    Use code
    GDBR19
    Only for non CI members! :(

• Advertisement

I should have clarified.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could always put on a fake beard and register under an assumed name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

*Route Subject to final approval :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭py

Route looks a bit better than last year's. Can see the start being quick as it's all downhill from Chesterfield on to the quays, provided the wind is favourable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Having never gone out in a group, what kind of average speed will people be doing on the 100k spin?

Having never gone out in a group, what kind of average speed will people be doing on the 100k spin?
    With large numbers there will be lots of differing average speeds. The fastest groups will probably average 32-34km/h while the slowest will be around 20km/h. Most will probably be in the 24-26km/h region.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cool. I'm assuming I'd be in the late 20s so I'm tempted to do it.
    I guess there's no reason not to!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

100km route gone back to what looks like the previous one, still wouldn't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Borderfox wrote: »
    100km route gone back to what looks like the previous one, still wouldn't do it

It's better than last year in that it's less than 10k of overlap at the end, but it's on a downhill residential road and then onto the River Road and Ashtown Road, which are narrow country lanes. Hopefully they'll be fully closed instead of getting all participants to squeeze into a single tight lane with oncoming traffic - that was the worst part of last year's event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Route is like the first two years but is brutal, pity they couldn't get everyone up howth head you get all the way out to Sutton and you turn off, why? (Yes I know howth would come to a standstill) so why would you want to pay for that. Plus there's shag all else to see.
    Plenty of better events held by local cc's that are much better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Route is like the first two years but is brutal, pity they couldn't get everyone up howth head you get all the way out to Sutton and you turn off, why? (Yes I know howth would come to a standstill) so why would you want to pay for that. Plus there's shag all else to see.
    Plenty of better events held by local cc's that are much better

Would you send the 7,000 people up through the village at 10kph, or down through the village at 80kph? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

buffalo wrote: »
    Would you send the 7,000 people up through the village at 10kph, or down through the village at 80kph? :pac:

Interesting... To get the best of both worlds, maybe they could have a mini hairpin at the top of the hill and come back down the same way they went up. Put out a cone or two and yer grand!

I, for one, will be filming the hijinks from behind a wall of sandbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

buffalo wrote: »

I know I know I know, more of a rant than a point tbh (from me) they call it the "great dublin cycle" but its not great its along a boring route but "almost near" a great climb and terrific location of howth.... it goes nowhere near the Dublin mountains which would make it "great" it only makes it mediocre

... they call it the "great dublin cycle" but its not great its along a boring route but "almost near" a great climb and terrific location of howth.... it goes nowhere near the Dublin mountains which would make it "great" it only makes it mediocre
    I would think they mean 'Great' in terms of number of participants rather than the route.

I know I know I know, more of a rant than a point tbh (from me) they call it the "great dublin cycle" but its not great its along a boring route but "almost near" a great climb and terrific location of howth.... it goes nowhere near the Dublin mountains which would make it "great" it only makes it mediocre

Yeah and the toughest drag in it is Co. Meath.
    Should be called the A Bit of Dublin and Meath Bike Ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭tonytiger81

Gonna sign up for this as i've done zilch all year. Does anyone know of discount codes for it?

... Does anyone know of discount codes for it?
    Discount ended on 19th April (and was only for non-CI members).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Are the routes confirmed yet or still subject to approval?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

"almost near" a great climb and terrific location of howth....

A lot of people were struggling with the hill at the Angler's Rest.
    I don't think you could make them face going up the hill of Howth!

Advertisement