Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming medical tax on behalf of parent

Options
  • 16-05-2019 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

My mum is currently going through a procedure in a private hospital. It will involve 2 overnight stays a month apart. This will be 500 per night. She will also have about 500 in consultant fees. She doesn’t work and my dad is semi retired so only works 20/30 hours per week - not enough to be paying tax . The odd week he’d pay tax but would get it back again.
    My question, as their only child, could I claim medical expenses on behalf of them? 1500 x 20% is 300 so it’s a lot to leave slide. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

You can claim any medical expense you pay for anybody, so if you pay for it, you can make the claim (you don't need to be related or anything). Make sure you keep the receipts for 7 years (4 might be enough, but just in case there's any follow up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Rulmeq wrote: »
    You can claim any medical expense you pay for anybody, so if you pay for it, you can make the claim (you don't need to be related or anything). Make sure you keep the receipts for 7 years (4 might be enough, but just in case there's any follow up)

Thank you. Would I have to get the receipts in my name or anything ? Appreciate that

Advertisement