Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing shed with an existing electrical connection

Options
  • 08-05-2019 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an old wooden shed that I'm planning to replace soon. The plan is to throw the shed and everything currently inside it into a skip and then get a new shed installed in its place. However the shed is currently wired with a light-switch and bulb. The electrical connection goes underground from the house and seems to come up under the floor of the shed. So if I remove the shed I'll be left with the wiring, switch and bulb exposed to the elements, especially if the new shed is not installed straight away.

Can anyone recommend the best way to handle this? Is there a way of protecting the electrical connection until the new shed is installed? Or really should I try and take down the old shed and put the new one in on the same day?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Get an electrician to disconnect the supply end of the cable. Then the light and light switch can safely be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I presume he's asking about preventing moisture ingress degrading the copper.

Self-amalgamating tape over the ends of the cable might be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Suggest that you arrange the electrical supply be isolated, from the source, as suggessted. before you carry out any demolition on the shed.

Advertisement