Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I set up a prepay power meter to a socket in a house?

Options
  • 09-05-2019 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

So I'm going to get a shed built out my parents back garden to live in. For electricity I'm just going to run an extension lead out from the house. Can I set up a prepay power meter to just pay for the electricity that is drawn from that socket to the extension lead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Jp1506 wrote: »
    So I'm going to get a shed built out my parents back garden to live in. For electricity I'm just going to run an extension lead out from the house. Can I set up a prepay power meter to just pay for the electricity that is drawn from that socket to the extension lead?
    Don’t me miserably, just pay for your parents electricity.

The answer is no.

But you could get a meter like this and fit it inline
    http://www.dhmeters.com/Meter/Coin_Meters-EML_P_Pre_Payment_Coin_Meter-EML_P_Pre_Payment_Coin_Meter

Or

http://www.dhmeters.com/Meter/Single_Phase_Meters-X45DB_MID-X45DB_MID

Put it in inline and pay for the kWh units used.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So I'm going to get a shed built out my parents back garden to live in. For electricity I'm just going to run an extension lead out from the house.

That is ridiculous.
    Even if the shed was just for the storage of garden tools I wouldn’t be satisfied with using an extension lead to power it for more than a day or two. In the interest of safety and self respect get a proper supply installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

ted1 wrote: »
    Don’t me miserably, just pay for your parents electricity.

The answer is no.

But you could get a meter like this and fit it inline
    http://www.dhmeters.com/Meter/Coin_Meters-EML_P_Pre_Payment_Coin_Meter-EML_P_Pre_Payment_Coin_Meter

Or

http://www.dhmeters.com/Meter/Single_Phase_Meters-X45DB_MID-X45DB_MID

Put it in inline and pay for the kWh units used.

I'm not being miserable, it's just an independence phase I'm going through. I want to be as self sufficient as I can. Can't afford to live alone so I'm going for the next best thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Can't afford to live alone so I'm going for the next best thing.

Don’t fool yourself, living off an extension lead is not the next best thing!
    It is irresponsible.

If you genuinely can’t afford a safe electrical supply then you shouldn’t be able to afford to connect anything into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Get a sparky in to connect the shed to the house board. Running it off an extension lead is dangerous carry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

2011 wrote: »
    Don’t fool yourself, living off an extension lead is not the next best thing!
    It is irresponsible.

If you genuinely can’t afford a safe electrical supply then you shouldn’t be able to afford to connect anything into it.

I know your a moderator, but you're being very judgemental and opinionated towards me. I was asking a question and was expecting technical answers but you just want to criticise me.

I know your a moderator, but you're being very judgemental and opinionated towards me. I was asking a question and was expecting technical answers but you just want to criticise me.

Perhaps I just understand the risks and it is for your own good?
    Safety first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Jp1506 wrote:

I think you have gotten great advice here so far.

No prepay company will connect to an extention lead because long-term its not safe.

If you get an electrician to bring a supply to the shed he/she can install a "landlord's" meter. It won't be prepay but you can keep track of electricity used in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wasn’t in the least bit judgemental or opinionated.

The fact that it’s a stupid idea isn’t opinion. It’s fact. You didn’t ask if the extension lead idea was a good or bad one. You stated it as the plan. Somebody with knowledge replied and you didn’t like the answer.

That’s all that happened.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Throw a smoke alarm into the trolley with the extension lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Just run the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

a few technical answers so. in order to live in your "shed" you would have to make the building comply with all the building regulations
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-d-materials-and-workmanship/Technical-guidance-documents you would have to receive planning permission for change of use from "shed" to habitable building
    so running a extension cable out to the shed would be the least of your worries also it half arsed getting a prepay meter and hooking it up to an extension cable as your parents have all ready bought the electricity supplying the extension and you would be paying for it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Instead of wasting cash on a lead, fridge, cooker, kettle, plates, cups, cutlery, table n chairs, lamps, insulation just buy them a holiday and have your independent phase while their on their break.

Then when they get back thank them for everything they've done for you.

Advertisement