Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery dead very quickly

Options
  • 05-05-2019 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Came away this weekend and on the 2nd day after barely using any electrics I went to put the TV on, and everything cuts out, battery dead, reading at 9.5V. I'll check on the drive home is it charging from the alternator, but I'm pretty sure that's working fine. There was loads of driving.
    The only new thing in campervan is a small 12v TV box, plugging into cigarette port with a double adapter so that 12v TV can use it too. Is there any possibility that there could be some bad connection here that's shorting the battery and draining it very fast? Or does it just sound like the battery itself has died a death?

Comments

Suspect kaput split charge relay, disconnected or corroded terminal. Charge and EQ service battery asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Suspect kaput split charge relay, disconnected or corroded terminal. Charge and EQ service battery asap.
    Battery was 10.8v before we got going. Driving on motorway and it's reading 11.5v. the same tester plugger into engine battery is reading 14v, so must mean alternator is fine.
    The split charge relay, where is that found typically?
    What is EQ?

Thanks again.

kelbal wrote: »
    The split charge relay, where is that found typically?
    What is EQ?

Between the two batteries.
    If its stock, probably the biggest wan in the Ziggy blok yolk
    EQ = equalisation.

Could be a service battery ground too.
    For maximum return of investment of time and resources you'd probably be better off taking the opportunity to overhaul it.
    Disconnect the old setup and fit an uprated one.

One thing that I did notice - there's a little LED on the camper display panel to indicate when its charging, its usually on when we're driving, and it still is, even though its only reading 11.5V - so it looks like the alternator power is being detected somewhere along the way, but not getting as far as the battery. Does this make a difference as to what may be at fault?

kelbal wrote: »
    - there's a little LED on the camper display panel to indicate when its charging

Evidence would suggest otherwise.
    Test at the relay.
    Put the service battery on an external charger it is getting damaged the longer you leave it in that state of discharge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Check the voltage on the battery when it's been resting for a while fully charged it should read 12.7 V if it's 12V it needs to be charged down at 10V I'd be looking at getting the battery tested to see if it's goosed. With the engine running the battery should be charged by the split charge relay and the panel shouldn't be involved at all. Check it voltage should be 14V or more it my be less if the battery is charging but I'd expect 13V+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

9.5v is definitely in the kill zone. Anything below 11.5v indicates the battery is totally flat.
    Before spending time looking at electronics get the battery tested and don't be surprised to be buying a replacement.
    If buying look for a genuine deep cycle battery like a https://www.monbat.com/monbat/en/pages/deep-cycle-bat.html, don't wate your money on a so caled leisure battery.

Think I found the issue. There's an extra cable bolted onto the engine battery live terminal, going via a fuse. Must be the feed to the leisure battery. The connection at the fuse was all green & oxidised.
    6olcns.jpgjkaw6g.jpg
    With the engine running and a multimeter on the leisure terminals, I gave this a wiggle and could see the voltage jumping up. So I trimmed back the wire and put a new connector on the end. Driving along now I'm getting 13.4V on the multimeter connected to the leisure battery terminals.
    That sounds like job sorted? Or should I be worried why the connection was getting all green?

Replace the fuse holder too, the nylon thread has melted from the heat at the terminal.

Why = entropy....no point worrying about it, just clean it and move on.

Advertisement