Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New oak kitchen worktop - how many coats of oil??

Options
  • 30-04-2019 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Just put in a new oak kitchen worktop. The supplier and the fitter both stressed to use only boiled linseed oil when oiling it. It has been oiled and buffed 5 times now and, even though it's getting there, it's not as shiny as I'd like and it accidentally got splashed with water, which left a mark, so it's nowhere near ready for general kitchen use. I've researched this and varnish etc is a no-no for kitchen countertops. Does anyone know how many times you have to oil it to get a really good shiny, durable finish. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Heat the oil before use and it will penetrate much better. Dare I say be careful and never leave it unattended. Rub the oil in with a scouring pad and dry off with kitchen roll. A little goes a long way and the trick is to keep wiping it down until you have a nice sheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Just my tuppence. FWIW :)

Linseed oil is not a suitable finish for a kitchen countertop.
    Raw linseed oil, the only kind that doesn't have metallic driers is particularly unsuited.  It is a drying oil but that means months to dry.

The old 'rule of thumb’ using raw linseed oil as a finish,

Once a day for a week,
    Once a week for a month,
    Once a month for a year ,
    Once a year forever.

Since you are using linseed oil already.
    Try this concussion for your project:
    Warning: Heat oil outdoors, check flashpoint temps.

Equal parts hot linseed oil and bee wax mixed well until dissolved.
    Let cool then add one part polyurethane stir / mix well.
    Apply with a clean cloth
    Rub in well
    Repeat as required.

Good luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and don't forget to store/dispose of any rags soaked in linseed oil carefully. they can spontaneously combust if bundled up too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was advised to use Danish Oil on a beech kitchen top. I think the fitter put on 1 coat and I put on another 5 or so. I sanded - very fine sandpaper used quite lightly - between coats. It looked lovely when it was done and kept stains at bay. However I was very fussy about drying it off during use, and not putting anything on it that would stain.

In general though I don't think I would have another one, and certainly not if there was a family who might not be as fussy about taking care of it. It will stain with some things - odd stuff that you would hardly think of, the worst mark was from a used brillo pad that got left on it, that was never going to come out.

Advertisement