Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AU trade block

Options
  • 24-03-2018 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Is Africa bucking the most recent trends in globalization? The AU is uniting to form a single trade block and a pan African passport is also on the cards. This is in contrast to Brexit in Europe and tariffs imposed by the US China.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I think I'd see it as the US and UK bucking the trend on Globalisation, rather than Africa bucking the trend! Or at least hopefully the US and UK aren't enough to constitute a trend - not least because the UK appear committed to free trade at least, just not within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

andrew wrote: »
    I think I'd see it as the US and UK bucking the trend on Globalisation, rather than Africa bucking the trend! Or at least hopefully the US and UK aren't enough to constitute a trend - not least because the UK appear committed to free trade at least, just not within the EU.

Well things have now moved on since then, so to update, tariffs are now the new norm between the US and Canada, the US and the EU, the US and China, the US and Australia and all these regions are retaliating which means they are now imposing tariffs also. The UK/EU split is now in countdown mode and a hard brexit is looking like the most likely scenario.

Extreme vetting is being imposed on migrant to the US from several countries. Internal EU tensions on migration has started up again with Italy and Malta turning away shiploads of migrants and in Germany, Angela Merkel`s deal with her coalition partners has sparked concerns in Austria and Hungry.

By contrast, this week Sierra Leone has become the 44th African country to sign up to the African Continental Free Trade Area (ACFTA). Africa is now on course to becoming the largest trading block in the world. So is Africa now bucking the trend by uniting as the rest of the world falls apart?

Advertisement