Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Women's Mini Marathon 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Meeeee :)

I reckon its a guaranteed course PB as the only other time I've run it was back in 2011 or 2012, when I did about maybe 10 training runs (and thought that was enough) and finished in 1.08 I think?
    Although possibly the course has changed since then? Didn't they reverse it at one stage?

I did hate it then but I assume because I wasn't fit enough so here's hoping 2019 will be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not me :(
    Missing it again this year.
    Missed out last year due to a hen.
    Missing this year due to holidays. I actually did look at trying to squeeze in the mini marathon before we go but flights just wouldn't have suited.
    Ah there's always next year. Best of luck to those taking part. If there is anyone thinking about it or on the fence - just sign up and go for it. As much as this event gets some flack - I have found it to be a hugely enjoyable event, the chat and camaraderie amounts participants, the support along the way and the many charities benefiting. It has every ability of participant - from the competitive runner to the groups of women out for a walk, a chat, some fresh air and a day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I think the course has changed since 2011, a bit anyway - the start / finish has because of the Luas. And they reversed it last year, I think?

You'll love it! It's a great day & a great course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I think the course has changed since 2011, a bit anyway - the start / finish has because of the Luas. And they reversed it last year, I think?

I should know this considering I've been a member of DSD for almost 2 years now :rolleyes:

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Not me :(
    Missing it again this year.
    Missed out last year due to a hen.
    Missing this year due to holidays. I actually did look at trying to squeeze in the mini marathon before we go but flights just wouldn't have suited.
    Ah there's always next year. Best of luck to those taking part. If there is anyone thinking about it or on the fence - just sign up and go for it. As much as this event gets some flack - I have found it to be a hugely enjoyable event, the chat and camaraderie amounts participants, the support along the way and the many charities benefiting. It has every ability of participant - from the competitive runner to the groups of women out for a walk, a chat, some fresh air and a day out.

I really agree!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I am doing it again this year. This will be my fifteenth one. My first one was back in 1990, then 1991, 2002 and I have done every year since 2008. Love it. I ran the first couple, finishing around 58 minutes with little training. I have walked it the last few years with my daughter. Its a fun day out, great atmosphere, everyone enjoys the event, and I love that it is on a Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Im in too. It was the very first race i ever did, so do it every year. God last year was ROASTING! And somehow I always forget that drag at mile 3 - always! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oreoexpress

I am really looking forward to it, it will be my fourth time participating and my third time to run it. I have recently just started following the Fitness Plan over on the VHI WMM website, as I definitely did not do enough training last year and my body paid for it afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Got my race number this morning and I appear to be in the Pink wave. I haven't done this race for a couple of years but by my recollection the sub-60 minute wave is White - can anyone confirm this? The website is quite confusing as it only refers to the waves by time and doesn't mention their colours!

I wanted to get into the sub-60 wave and I did submit a time through the website, but I had a feeling at the time that something hadn't gone through correctly. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago but no reply.

kyomi wrote: »
    Got my race number this morning and I appear to be in the Pink wave. I haven't done this race for a couple of years but by my recollection the sub-60 minute wave is White - can anyone confirm this? The website is quite confusing as it only refers to the waves by time and doesn't mention their colours!

I wanted to get into the sub-60 wave and I did submit a time through the website, but I had a feeling at the time that something hadn't gone through correctly. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago but no reply.

My number is white, and I'm in the front wave, so I think you're right, you should have got a white one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I'll be there. A bit of intrepid action as I'll be on my own, travelling up by train from 'the provinces' and find Dublin difficult to get around, especially on Holiday weekends. But hopefully I'll enjoy the experience and it will be worth it 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

kyomi wrote: »

I think the white wave is sub 45 and pink is sub 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I'll be there. A bit of intrepid action as I'll be on my own, travelling up by train from 'the provinces' and find Dublin difficult to get around, especially on Holiday weekends. But hopefully I'll enjoy the experience and it will be worth it ��

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's always a great day. It's all very well signposted and marshalled so you should have no problems getting to your start area. After that, just follow the crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'll be there. A bit of intrepid action as I'll be on my own, travelling up by train from 'the provinces' and find Dublin difficult to get around, especially on Holiday weekends. But hopefully I'll enjoy the experience and it will be worth it ��
    When you get off the train at Heuston, you'll even see people there who are taking part. Get the Luas to Abbey Street, walk down O'Connell St and across the bridge - there will be people of women wearing charity tshirts, ponchos and backpacks to follow. Make your way up past Trinity College, up Grafton St and past the Shelbourne Hotel. I'm telling you, the city centre will be a buzz for the event.
    Raging I'm missing it again this year, it's great to be a part of such an event.

Thanks Sunnydayz and CassieMason. I normally try to consume protein milk for recovery fairly soon afterwards, might be difficult to get my hands on some after this though. So maybe carry some in a bottle during the race? Presumably baggage area is not that near the finish line?. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Thanks Sunnydayz and CassieMason. I normally try to consume protein milk for recovery fairly soon afterwards, might be difficult to get my hands on some after this though. So maybe carry some in a bottle during the race? Presumably baggage area is not that near the finish line?. Thanks

It shouldnt take too long to get your bag after the race. Not sure how your milk would be after running 10k with it? Would it be turned to butter? :D

It might be🙂 My sister sensibly advised me to get milk from a shop, a Centra or a Spar etc, which shouldn't be that hard. Also she said that I shouldn't be that urgently in need of Protein after a 10K🙂 said that water will be more important, so reassured now🙂. It looks like being hot🙂

Unexpectedly running tonight in quite a tough 5 miler, was asked by my club to help make up a team. Won't be fully recovered by Sunday so will probably just have to do it 'easy'. What's on in the post - race area?

It was extremely tough but my 1st run in Dublin completed at the 2nd attempt 🙂

Advertisement