Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brian Dennehy dies at 81

Options
  • 17-04-2020 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

Sad to here this. Most will remember him as the cop in Rambo First blood but I remember him most from the brilliant 1992 made for tv film 'to catch a killer'

He played the serial killer John Wayne gacy. Its available on youtube and he is so good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

RIP

An amazing talent. Saw him for the first time in To Catch a Killer. He had an amazing onscreen/stage presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Was always in awe of his on-screen presence. Very menacing as John Gacy.

Saw him in the Abbey in The Iceman Cometh.
    https://www.abbeytheatre.ie/archives/production_detail/512/
    Was young, and bold, and used a camera in the dark and he heard the click. Mortified and a dope.

God rest him. Superb actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

F/X was his best role imho. Great actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I met Brian Dennehy once at a charity event. He was surprisingly down to earth and VERY witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He was a frequent visitor to Ireland, had family in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I love Gorky Park, will rewatch it this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Cocoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

One of those faces that always brought a certain comfort (for want of a better word) while on screen. If you 'switched over' back in the day and saw his face, you knew it was going to something at least semi-enjoyable.

His portrayal of Will Teasle was excellent. A real authentic mean streak in that performance.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

He was parodied in a episode of the Simpsons, just can't remember which one.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Video shops in the eighties were full of a genre of film best described as true-life weepies. Many of them starred Brian Dennehy. He certainly was a busy actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

One of those faces that always brought a certain comfort (for want of a better word) while on screen. If you 'switched over' back in the day and saw his face, you knew it was going to something at least semi-enjoyable.

His portrayal of Will Teasle was excellent. A real authentic mean streak in that performance.

RIP.

This.

If you happened upon something with him in it you knew you were ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Godspeed, Bri

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Be right back

Ken. wrote: »
    Sad to here this. Most will remember him as the cop in Rambo First blood but I remember him most from the brilliant 1992 made for tv film 'to catch a killer'

He played the serial killer John Wayne gacy. Its available on youtube and he is so good.

Just watched it. He was excellent. Just came across a clip from the film on you tube that must have been cut out from the above, where he's dressed up as a clown. Worth a watch.

Just watched it. He was excellent.

Definitely my favourite one but I loved everything he was in,I went to see him in the INEC in Killarney years ago in The Field,it was excellent, I think he had a house in the Macroom area,he was brilliant and seemed like a really lovely person in interviews, rip Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Sort of ironic he should die in these cocoon'ing times as he starred in Cocoon

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

He was so good as Will Teasle I was kind of rooting for him.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Good actor, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

This is devastating...

they'll still make the rashers, right? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

RIP

Always remember him from a film called River rat years ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He was brilliant in Gladiator. Quite menacing throughout it.

• Advertisement

no better man to play the guy in on the conspiracy, the irish-american mafia or tammany hall politics or the corrupt cop setup

loved his gig playing up on that image in 30 rock

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He did a tour of Ireland playing Bull McCabe in The Field. He was great in it and his irish accent wasn't bad either.

RIP.

GetFile.aspx%3Fguid=258ab751-e364-45aa-9e54-9591051d9698&maxsidesize=640

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't believe he was only 81 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

He was brilliant in Gladiator. Quite menacing throughout it.

Ah...that "Gladiator". Self-:rolleyes:

We was chilling as Gacey, and also good in Gorky Park...and in the now-forgotten, it seems, Best Seller, alongside James Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Great actor.
    Had a real "don't mess with him" performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Another talent gone, but the memory will live on. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

He will always be the Sheriff who picks a fight with the wrong man in First Blood to me :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

storker wrote: »
    Ah...that "Gladiator". Self-:rolleyes:

We was chilling as Gacey, and also good in Gorky Park...and in the now-forgotten, it seems, Best Seller, alongside James Woods.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

He was a frequent visitor to Ireland, had family in Cork.

Good Cork surname in fairness.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement