Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax return for 79 year old

Options
  • 14-11-2019 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi guys,My Father was sent out a tax return form.He is 79 and gets a state pension and army pension.Is this normal at his age?He has no business or any other assets only his house.Thanks for any advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Age wouldn’t really be relevant. Once his state pension is coded into his tax credits / cut off and the army pension is taxed correctly then there should be no issue. If total income is under €18k single/widowed or €36k married then there is no tax anyway. (USC May apply depending on value of army pension)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,My Father was sent out a tax return form.He is 79 and gets a state pension and army pension.Is this normal at his age?He has no business or any other assets only his house.Thanks for any advice on this?

Revenue issue thousands of tax returns each year to ensure the robustness of the tax system. By filling in the tax return, declaring his income, your father will confirm what should be on Revenues record for him. Some of these returns wjhen submitted however may contain information that Revenue was unaware of previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, my retired parents do tax returns every year, as do tens of thousands of other retired people.

All normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Don’t worry, perfectly normal. If he had any medical expenses in 2018 I think he can stick them in to see if he is due anything? Maybe someone here can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

splinter65 wrote: »
    Don’t worry, perfectly normal. If he had any medical expenses in 2018 I think he can stick them in to see if he is due anything? Maybe someone here can confirm?

If there is net tax paid then medical expenses may indeed produce a refund depending on the expenses and the amount of tax paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Great,Everyone thanks for the replies.Just needed to put my parents mind at ease.
    I first tought an asshole in law had reported him.Ya know the way extended family like. Thanks again

Advertisement